Baldurs Gate

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
BG 2 (and expansion) were some of the best RPG's out there. If you liked BG 2 though, definetly play Dragon's Age: Origins. It's not as epic in terms of length, but it delivers the same sort of gameplay. Would be nice to see a BG3, but I don't think we ever will.

Dale

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Yeah I always wanted a third Baldurs Gate game but I think Bioware are a bit busy with their other franchises at the moment.

btkong

Staff member
Another great game you guys might like is The Witcher. It's a few years old now, but great RPG and great story. There are a lot of choices you can make that dramatically change the game. Every choice you make is gray too -- nothing is clearly black and white. Very cool. Probably the most "adult" rpg game I've played -- something that's nice as you aren't treated like a little kid by the designers. The sequel is due out pretty soon too. The fighting is hack n slash, not turned based rpg combat like Baulder's Gate or Dragon Age, but it's still pretty fun and everything else is hardcore RPG.

Dale

Hmmm yeah I've got The Witcher. I felt like the choices seemed to matter a lot more than in Dragon Age. Also if anyone is interested in getting it, make sure you get the enhanced edition. I've heard the original's translation and voice acting was pretty poor (It's from a Polish developer). One thing that annoyed me though was that the game was seriously toned down in the Australian release because of our crap rating system. Other than that, it seemed to be a pretty awesome game.

btkong

Staff member
Yea, good call on the Enhanced Edition -- don't get the game otherwise. I'd actually say the Enhanced (and unrated) edition is one of the best RPG games I've played.

Dale

The Witcher 2 looks equally as good as well. Seems they're going for a new kind of art design, more exaggerated and Geralt actually looks younger. Hey Ben, have you read the books at all?

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I read the first Witcher book (The Last Wish). I haven't read blood of the elves yet. It was sort of like reading a precursor to a video game-- Geralt just went about and did quests. It was entertaining, especially if you enjoyed the games. It's worth picking up, I'd say.

btkong

Staff member
No, I know there are books, but never read them. I take it they are sort of like dragonlance books. I'm generally not a fan of translated fantasy works because a lot of the "guts" gets lost in the translation.

I'm looking forward to the next game though.

Dale

Yeah I'm generally not a fan either but I believe it was the books that inspired the game so that makes it a bit different.

João Ribeiro

I really can't wait for the Baldur's Gate Enhanced edition to come out for Android. Still a big fan!

I really can't wait for the Baldur's Gate Enhanced edition to come out for Android. Still a big fan!
Sounds great!
-I just hope they use ADD 2nd edition rules on the game as they did on the original.
-I mean current DD rules are a bit silly, with dwarves able to cast magic (what?) and halflings able to become barbarians (you what?). Not kidding. they really have let the Dungeons and Dragons game down with the current rules...

João Ribeiro

Sounds great!
-I just hope they use ADD 2nd edition rules on the game as they did on the original.
-I mean current DD rules are a bit silly, with dwarves able to cast magic (what?) and halflings able to become barbarians (you what?). Not kidding. they really have let the Dungeons and Dragons game down with the current rules...
I'm not sure about which rules set they are going to use, but it's probably detailed in the reviews of the iOS versions. I've stayed clear from those actually not to get any spoilers.