Best 10 portal fantasy novels with kid protagonist?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I haven't read it, but I think that Gaiman's Coraline fits your criteria to a t.
Read it, and yeah definitely. There's actual door that act like a portal.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
there was a novelization of the portal fantasy movie ' labyrinth' I'm not sure how good it was because I didn't read it

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
there was a novelization of the portal fantasy movie ' labyrinth' I'm not sure how good it was because I didn't read it
Yeah I saw that. There was a special edition version a few years back for an anniversary .. very nearly bought it.

GiovanniDeFeo

Has Danced with Dragons
Coraline was missing from the list but is one of my favourite.
As it is the movie labyrinth. Never heard of A Different Kingdom or Feist's novel...

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Lavondyss (Mythago Wood #2) by Robert Holdstock

Peat

Coraline was missing from the list but is one of my favourite.
As it is the movie labyrinth. Never heard of A Different Kingdom or Feist's novel...
One of the greats of 80s epic fantasy, although I'm not sure its aged so well. The prose feels a little wooden now. The scope and ideas and everything are still awesome though.

I suppose technically it may not qualify, as the protagonist is a teenager when he goes through the portal but when we see him there he's an adult; his seen teenage years are all on his own world. And its certainly not the whole focus of the story.

Maark Abbott

Re:Zero probably hits the mark although it's a light novel. Teenage protagonist, most of the characters are teens. Oh, and then he has Return By Death. It is a most diligent ability!

Darth Tater

The Wizard Of Oz ?

In the later books Dorothy goes back and forth intentionally if the first book doesn’t make the grade.

Last edited:

Bierschneeman

where the wild things are.....HOWD WE SKIP THIS ONE

also does mort~ Terry prathett
count?. he portals from a fantastic world to a even more fantastic world outside time.