Best Fantasy Books Blog

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Jon Snow, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Jon Snow

Jon Snow No Power in the Verse can stop me Staff Member

I reckon not too members on this forum read the blog or even know it exists. The Best Fantasy Books Blog is a place where Ben can post articles about competitions, interviews, reviews and other interesting tidbits from around the web.

This thread will be updated whenever a new article is posted on the blog.

Here are the latest two blogs

http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/blog/2009/07/to-rate-or-not-to-rate/
    An article I wrote about the merits of giving books a rating and the different types of rating systems out there. Are they useful? Should I trust them?
    I'd appreciate some feedback on the article itself since I am still relatively new to the article writing business.

http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/blo...ns-the-light-of-burning-shadows-iron-elves-2/
    Ben has many copies of The Light of Burning Shadows by Chris Evans to give away. It's really easy to win, just email Ben and state your top 5 fantasy books and you've probably got a copy. Go check out the link for more details!

2. btkong

btkong Journeyed there and back again Staff Member

love the post Jon!

3. wow I even knew about the blog but I always forget to check it, good thing the book giveaway wasn't one I really wanted

4. I found the blog first, and the I entered the forum!:) Its a nice and comprehensive blog with lots of information well presented!

5. Jon Snow

Nice one Merin! Thanks for the kind words.

Anyways I've got a new post up.

It is a review of 'Best Served Cold' by Joe Abercrombie. I've written the review for both people who have read and haven't read the previous series The First Law.

Enjoy and please place some feedback!
    http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/blog/2009/07/review-best-served-cold-by-joe-abercrombie/

6. I wish my library would order this book :(

I thought u said First Law was great, wouldn't that make this great too?

7. Jon Snow

The reason why it wasn't a great read was because I was expecting something different. I was hoping that Abercrombie would up his game or at least change it. Instead we got the same thing and because my expectations were different, perhaps this is why I felt it wasn't a great read. Maybe if I read it again a bit later I might like it a bit more with my expectations gone.

Spoiler (highlight the bottom with your mouse to see it...the text is in white)

What really disappointed me was again Abercrombie did not kill off one of the significant "good guys" It seems he just falls in loves with the characters and just can't kill them off. There was a torture scene with one of our "good guys" and it wasn't nearly as graphic or detailed as the torture of Salam Rews (from Blade Itself) and again I just felt that Abercrombie doesn't have the heart to really stick it to the "good guys"

There was however some good parts, like the eaters play a minor significant roll in the book and it really sets up for the next book. The storyline won't be just a mundane plot about vengeance but something bigger.

Does that all make sense?

8. btkong

That's too bad. It's true that some authors find something that works and stick with it. It's a bit disturbing to hear that's he's pretty much just rewritten Blade :(

Good review though Jon

9. Jon Snow

10. icarium

icarium Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Some links in the forum header would help in navigating to the front page of BestFantasyBooks.com or the blog.

11. btkong

Yea, a good point icarium. I need to see how to integrate this form directly with the website. I am thinking about adding in a completly new forum with more features etc. It would be directly integrated into the website then.

Ben

12. Hey Ben, when is the "bottom 10 fantasy books list" comming up? I am waiting to have a good laugh. :D Stanek...

13. l3gacy

l3gacy Dr. Awesomesauce Staff Member

Let's bully Jon into refereeing a Hall of Shame tourney :lol:

14. Jon Snow

LOL...I actually would love to run a few more tournaments but at the moment I am uber busy. However, feel free to let me know what kind of tournaments you would like me to run in the future and I'll jot it down. Hell, with enough notice I could get Ben to send out prizes too.

15. Jon Snow

16. Jon Snow

17. are the competitions open to UK readers?

18. Jon Snow

Normally competitions are open to readers from anywhere =)

19. Jon Snow

Updated the blog. I'm going to be posting a lot more on there.

bestfantasybooks.com/blog

20. Jon Snow