Best Fantasy Books Blog

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
And @Jon Snow thank you for not only reviews but also maintaining and organizing the list.
You're welcome man. Always want to do a bit more but life gets in the way. I need to restart the upcoming books. That one hasn't happened at all this year

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really good review, clearly I'll have to read that one soon! * bumps it up the TBR-pile *
Hhmmm .. I wasn't put off Mark Lawrence by the Broken Empire Trilogy, but if I'm being honest I was put off Mark Lawrence slightly by the last book in the Broken Empire Trilogy! Disappointing, because I thought the first two were pretty good. Reluctant to pick this one up, despite the review ..

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
Reluctant to pick this one up, despite the review ..
I'm intrigued by the idea of Mark Lawrence writing a character that isn't as morally despicable as Jorg. Also, there are still quite a number of books on the list I'm going to read before Prince of Fools. It was pretty low on my TBR-list because like you I didn't really liked the Emperor of Thorns.

Darwin

The new protagonist is every bit as flawed as Jorg, just in a more egotistical less sociopathic way. He's amusing, but I prefered Jorg. Apologies again Tom for recommending book 3 so strongly, I thought it ended really well.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apologies again Tom for recommending book 3 so strongly
No worries - we all have different tastes. It's funny - everyone absolutely creams over Broken Empire over on Fantasy Faction (it's in most of the regular posters top 5 series), but I get the impression it's (partly) because Mark L is a regular poster there!

afa

No worries - we all have different tastes. It's funny - everyone absolutely creams over Broken Empire over on Fantasy Faction (it's in most of the regular posters top 5 series), but I get the impression it's (partly) because Mark L is a regular poster there!
Hehe... Honestly, I kind of felt the same way. The guys there seem way too high on the trilogy.

I mean, they were decent books, but not exactly out of this world. But everyone on FF acts as if it's the best thing they've read in years.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
The feel of the book is way different than Broken Empire. I can see why ppl might not pick it up until the trilogy or series is finished.