Best Fantasy Books Blog

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
A one is like I couldn't read it and had to give up. A two is pretty bad.
I haven't read any god awful stuff yet so haven't had opportunity to score below a 4 (out of 10). I reckon I'll reserve 1 and 2 for books I can't finish with a 1 simply being a book that has absolutely no redeeming qualities ie. woeful plot, terrible grammer/spelling etc. If the book has at least something going for it and I still hadn't finished it that might warrant a 2 from me. If I finish a book, it automatically gets a minimum of 3. I think I'm a bit of a soft scorer. Just about all of my ratings have been between 7 and 9.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I haven't read any god awful stuff yet so haven't had opportunity to score below a 4 (out of 10). I reckon I'll reserve 1 and 2 for books I can't finish with a 1 simply being a book that has absolutely no redeeming qualities ie. woeful plot, terrible grammer/spelling etc. If the book has at least something going for it and I still hadn't finished it that might warrant a 2 from me. If I finish a book, it automatically gets a minimum of 3. I think I'm a bit of a soft scorer. Just about all of my ratings have been between 7 and 9.
All about upbring right? We grow up learning to be nice, so we feel guilty when we score something low =)

afa

Heh a 7 out of 10 is a decent book....but his comments sound like it should be a 5 out of 10.
Yeah, you're right. Looking back at the review, I'm not sure how happy I am with it. There definitely seems to be a disconnect between the words in the review and the final rating.

I guess I probably rated it higher because it was a massive book that I nonetheless managed not to give up on, and in fact never really reached a point where I was frustrated enough to consider stopping. I think when I was rating it, that thought was what kept me from giving it too low a score. It does have some redeeming qualities (mostly Applecore) and I do like the mix of Fantasy with some quasi-modern technology...

I probably didn't articulate it well enough in the review.

afa

I think I'm a bit of a soft scorer. Just about all of my ratings have been between 7 and 9.
You know, I think I'm exactly the same. I can't remember rating any book lower than a 7, either. Then again, I have never got around to reviewing Mieville. Hmmm....

What is ironic is that in real life I'm the complete opposite. Judgemental, rude, arrogant, abusive and insulting towards others. Even my wife thinks I'm an asshole.

Which is quite startling considering I'm not even married.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Yeah, you're right. Looking back at the review, I'm not sure how happy I am with it. There definitely seems to be a disconnect between the words in the review and the final rating.
I'll go look at your review in a bit, but I sort of understand how this can happen because I've done it before. I write reviews (of a sort) of fantasy novels on my blog. And I'll finish a book, say, and be pretty happy with it. Then I'll start writing the review. And I'll get to the end and I'll have picked apart the grammar and dialogue tags, I'll have called the plot unoriginal, I'll have complained about infodumping, and then I'll say "but you should read this, I enjoyed it." I don't even attempt to give ratings, though. But sometimes I feel like a bit of a hypocrite. (And I'm horrible about dropping spoilers without warning. But that's a separate issue.)

Antoxx

I guess I probably rated it higher because it was a massive book that I nonetheless managed not to give up on, and in fact never really reached a point where I was frustrated enough to consider stopping. I think when I was rating it, that thought was what kept me from giving it too low a score. It does have some redeeming qualities (mostly Applecore) and I do like the mix of Fantasy with some quasi-modern technology...

I probably didn't articulate it well enough in the review.
I wouldn't be so hard on myself. I reread the review and still think I got enough from it to be able to make an informed decision beyond that which I'd have if I only read the book flap alone. Like you said, maybe you haven't balanced with some of the more positive elements that you've listed but no big deal.

I'm more likely to rate something lower when scoring out of 5 then 10. I recently did a review and originally scored it 7 out of 10 on my book list spreadsheet but in the review rated it 3 out of 5. For some reason 3 out of 5 doesn't seem as harsh as 6 out of 10. Must be some psychological thing going on there!

Jon Snow

Staff member

Jon Snow

Staff member
Fair point. In my defence I do work in finance so only feel comfortable when all things are represented numerically!
Hmmm that sounds like something fun. I used to use shelfari to do that for me, but have been really slack about it and it is really out of date now.