Best Fantasy Books of 2016 (and Kindle Giveaway)

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Is it just me or have most of us not read many of the high priced 2016 releases? If even this group hesitates to pay so much, I would say the big houses may be learning a financial lesson.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Is it just me or have most of us not read many of the high priced 2016 releases? If even this group hesitates to pay so much, I would say the big houses may be learning a financial lesson.
I read 9 or 10 of them (and another one just this month, and am working on yet two more right now). Considering the small amount of time I spent reading this year, I actually spent quite a lot of it on new books.

Kalavan

I've also read 9 or 10 2016 releases, which is an extremely high number for my standard, but half of them were the final books of series I've been following for quite some time. I'll reiterate once again, since it definitely deserves some more love, that my favourite new release was Salyards' Chains of the Heretic. As for the worst one I completely agree with the blog, Sanderson' Calamity was truly horrible.

For the giveaway, 1509 - 500 each, plus Tom's 9

Peat

I haven't not read them because of price - I'm simply out of the loop and don't really care what's big at the moment - but the amount of great indie fiction I can find at lovely low prices hasn't encouraged me to go chasing up all the big boys.

Throw in a number of books brought on sale on Kindle and I'm set for quite a while.

rudyjuly2

My guess for total books on Kindle is 713. I pick 13 since I loved Dan Marino growing up. And 7 is generally a lucky or good fortune number.

As for the lost I really enjoyed the Red Rising trilogy and have no problem with Morning Star being #1. I think the Last Mortal Bond was the worst book in the trilogy for Stavely but I still enjoyed that series a lot.

ExTended

I am betting on the staff members being proper book hoarders and I'd guess the total books number to be 2 000.

And of course - best of luck to whoever needs the Kindle most! :)

EDIT: As for the blog post - it's nicely done as aslways. I have found some books I might be interested in, I have found one that I feel deserved to be there, but didn't expected it to( Hope and Red by Jon Skovron) and I have found a few listings with which I couldn't completely agree, which is of course - expected. I especially liked the fact that there were so many unknown( to me) authors among the usual guys and gals - more chances of finding something exciting.

Last edited:

Sirl19

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I'm gonna go with 380, and hope for the best.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Well done @Elvira ...you are our winner!!!!!

We had a combined total of 990 books.

Please email me jonsnow@bestfantasybooks.com with your full address and phone number and we'll try and get that organised and sent to you.

Thanks to everyone who participated, especially to the Necromancer who raised @Jamie G from the dead.

kenubrion

Congrats Elvira!

Bierschneeman

Congrats, gotta an idea of the first book to grace your new glowing rectangle?

Cyphon

Because I know anyone can nitpick these lists to death I will just give one positive and one negative that I feel most strongly about when reading your list.

Negative first:

While I agree with you that The Blood Mirror wasn't a great book, I think you are off in telling people to skip the series because the first 3 books range from good to fantastic. The 4th book was certainly a miss but 1 out of 4 ain't too bad.

The Positive:

Kudos for putting Morning Star at number 1. What an amazing series it was and the final book deserves the top spot. This was just an okay year in fantasy but even in the stronger years Morning Star would be right in the conversation for belonging up there.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Because I know anyone can nitpick these lists to death I will just give one positive and one negative that I feel most strongly about when reading your list.

Negative first:

While I agree with you that The Blood Mirror wasn't a great book, I think you are off in telling people to skip the series because the first 3 books range from good to fantastic. The 4th book was certainly a miss but 1 out of 4 ain't too bad.

The Positive:

Kudos for putting Morning Star at number 1. What an amazing series it was and the final book deserves the top spot. This was just an okay year in fantasy but even in the stronger years Morning Star would be right in the conversation for belonging up there.
Yeah, I felt 2016 was super weak. Lots of people on here liked a few of the ones I disliked e.g. The Malice.

I just felt it was a year of disappointments. The Malice, Calamity, No Hobb, Dead Man Steel was avg etc.