Best Fantasy Books of 2016 (and Kindle Giveaway)

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
Yeah, I felt 2016 was super weak. Lots of people on here liked a few of the ones I disliked e.g. The Malice.

I just felt it was a year of disappointments. The Malice, Calamity, No Hobb, Dead Man Steel was avg etc.
Yeah I think I remember talking about this before. This year certainly didn't wow me but I also wasn't disappointed but in fairness to your side of it, I also didn't have high expectations. Just to take some examples from your list:

I didn't care for Firefight so I went into Calamity more or less at rock bottom. I can't say for sure if it was because of that or that I really thought it was a better book, but I didn't mind Calamity. It is one of those things where it is hard to divorce expectations from actual feelings for the book but there you have it.

You kind of knocked Jackas new book because it didn't progress the plot. While I agree with that, I still enjoyed the book and they are so short that even if things don't move forward it never feels bogged down with irrelevant plot points. So for me, it was just enjoying more of the world I have come to love. To put it into a numbers perspective, more plot progression (assuming it was good) would have made this book a 9-9.5 for me. I think as it stands I was somewhere around an 8. Hard to call an 8 disappointing for me. Unless of course you were expecting the 9 or 10.

The one time I truly felt disappointed this year was late last night when I finished The Blood Mirror. That was THEE book for me this year (2016 of course) and boy was it a miss. Luckily it was balanced by being completely taken in by Morning Star and to a greater extent, that an entire series since I read it all in 2016.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Yeah I think I remember talking about this before. This year certainly didn't wow me but I also wasn't disappointed but in fairness to your side of it, I also didn't have high expectations. Just to take some examples from your list:

I didn't care for Firefight so I went into Calamity more or less at rock bottom. I can't say for sure if it was because of that or that I really thought it was a better book, but I didn't mind Calamity. It is one of those things where it is hard to divorce expectations from actual feelings for the book but there you have it.

You kind of knocked Jackas new book because it didn't progress the plot. While I agree with that, I still enjoyed the book and they are so short that even if things don't move forward it never feels bogged down with irrelevant plot points. So for me, it was just enjoying more of the world I have come to love. To put it into a numbers perspective, more plot progression (assuming it was good) would have made this book a 9-9.5 for me. I think as it stands I was somewhere around an 8. Hard to call an 8 disappointing for me. Unless of course you were expecting the 9 or 10.

The one time I truly felt disappointed this year was late last night when I finished The Blood Mirror. That was THEE book for me this year (2016 of course) and boy was it a miss. Luckily it was balanced by being completely taken in by Morning Star and to a greater extent, that an entire series since I read it all in 2016.
Yeah, Jacka's book was fine, but it was too much same same. I didn't like Firefight but was expecting Sanderson to pull something out but he didn't. 8 is a bit much for Bound. I would have given it maybe a 7. However, still a disappointment.

I'm hoping for some good things in 2017.

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
Yeah, Jacka's book was fine, but it was too much same same. I didn't like Firefight but was expecting Sanderson to pull something out but he didn't. 8 is a bit much for Bound. I would have given it maybe a 7. However, still a disappointment.

I'm hoping for some good things in 2017.
Yeah looking at the upcoming for this year there are definitely some books to be excited about.