Best fantasy movies

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, I've had to lay off the books for a week now. Read too much and needed a break after finishing Daylight War.

So now, I've got an urge to watch a great fantasy movie.

I don't know it it's an unpopular opinion, but though LotR are great, they are not amongst my favourite fantasy movies. My number one spot on that list is reserved for Stardust, a movie based on Stardust by Neil Gaiman. By far, I consider this to be the best adaptation of a fantasy book into a movie. Gaiman himself was a producer on the movie, and they managed to keep to light and hearthy tone of the book in the movie aswell.

So, help me out and set me up for a great movie ride. What's the best adaptation or the best fantasy movie I can get my hands on.

Let me list the list of lists for you:

1. Stardust
2. Willow
3. Merlin (the one with Sam Neill)
4. Highlander - there can be only one!
5. Aladdin - the Disney one with Robin Williams as Genie
6. Hook - Hook Hook, what about Hook?
7. Big Fish
8. Jumanji - okay, I love Robin Williams
9. Edward Scissorhands
10. Ladyhawke

Okay, this may not be the definitive list, but it's some of my favourites. Recommend me a movie!

Or make a list of great fantasy movies to watch! The front page is lacking a list at the moment, so we might aswell pitch in.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I honestly found the Game of Thrones TV Series better then pretty much any fantasy movie out there with the exception of (maybe) the Lord of the Rings movies.

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
Stardust is my favorite movie of all time, honestly. And in case you are wondering, it's kind of fun to drop that tidbit around movie snobs. Actually, I think the Stardust movie is better than the book as well. The book is too consumed with being a sarcastic fairy tale, and the movie is more of a hero's journey with a comedic side, and enough actual meat to be entertaining to people who aren't necessarily drawn to that.

Willow and Hook are also on the list. Favorite Disney movie remains The Little Mermaid though. If I'm supposed to be making my own list of fantasy movies I enjoyed that aren't on your list however:

How to Train Your Dragon
The Last Unicorn
Tangled
Hellboy (both) - these have to count if Edward Scissorhands counts :p
Enchanted
Coraline (you've probably seen this)
Pan's Labyrinth
Dragonheart (NOT THE SECOND ONE)
The Forbidden Kingdom
The 10th Kingdom (this isn't a movie, but as T.V. stuff goes, it's very good, if a bit predictable)

I make no apologies for anything that appears on this list. I like this stuff.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
i loved How to Train Your Dragon, i've watched it with my nephew so many times. Pan's Labyrinth was a beautiful movie, very visually stunning.

Amaryllis

Yeah, Pan's Labyrinth is definitely probably the artsiest thing on my list. It drives home what the medium is really capable of, emotionally and in terms of storytelling/suspense
(also good creepy special effects OH GOD THE PALE MAN)

I didn't expect to enjoy HTTYD half as much as I did. I didn't like the majority of DreamWorks animated movies that came before it. But it surprised me.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Stardust, I especially love the pirate captain played by Robert De Niro. Coolest pirate and crew ever!

I agree on your points on the movie. My understading is, that Neil Gaiman worked with the writers who translataed the book into a movie. And they did so brilliantly.

Antoxx

Highlander was waaaay cool. Best of all however, was The Princess Bride! Can we count Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

Riposte

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Came here to say Pan's Labrynth, but I've been beaten to the punch.

I may come back to include others but I also like:

Wizard of Oz - not only are the books one of the best fantasy series ever written, but the movie is also an all time great (you've probably already seen it)
Children of Men - post-apocalyptic tale that some may consider Sci-Fi
The Prestige - Christopher Nolan drected this movie based off the Christopher Priest novel. Top genre director making movie based off the work of top genre writer is a win/win.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - The original with Gene Wilder, not the remake
Finding Neverland - Unique, heartbreaking take on Peter Pan

Kseniya Malakhova

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
hello everyone! :) please advise which fantasy movie to watch at this weekend?:) so that it will be exciting and thrilling?:) and if you can please tell in a nutshell about content. thanks.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stardust will always be my first recommendation for a good fantasy movie.

It's the quinsential story about a boy journying out into the world win the heart of his one true love. Along the way he experiences magic, sword fighting, pirates in flying ships and love.

It's a great movie. Fun and serious at the same time. Cannot recommend it enough!

Bierschneeman

well Im big on two distinct stories when coming to film.

Beowulf (there are two movies with this title, the animated one, and a cyberpunk medieval kind of one which is really kindof neat if not very cliched)
Grendel (I can't emphasize this one enough Its just.... really really good and I am constantly looking for a copy.)
Beowulf & Grendel (ok the names are getting repetitive, but this one has great fighting choriagraphy (sp) and puts it close to what may be the origin of the story (Grendel is of a long inbred neanderthals that avoided extinction))
13th Warrior (another one trying to put a historical spin on the old story, Ill give you a hint about movies, if you see Antonio Banderas in it, the writers and director did zero factchecking to make sure the movie is acurate... there is misinformation ALL THROUGHOUT the movie both about vikings, and Arabs)

Excalibur, (wow no one mentioned this one? its a paragon of King Arthur movies)
Tristan & Isoldle (not about King arthur but Tristan will later become a very important member of his round table, this story is considered one of the greatest love stories on earth (up there with romeo and Juliet, Siegfrid and Brunhilde, Cyrano and Roxanne, Heloise and Abelard, Lancelot and Guenivere, Notice how they are all tragic, makes you wonder humans in general))
King Arthur (suggesting hes Rus or something, its quite alright)

Ohh and Dark Kingdom: the Dragon King is my all time fav medieval fantasy movie a musicless retelling of Richard Wagner's Opera, "ring of the Nibelung" or as most people recoginize the smallest bit, "kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit"

Davidjb

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I like that Stardust features strongly. Thought I was cracking up.

I also like;
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Conan the Barbarian - with Arny of course
Harry Potter
Princess Bride for some of the more entertaining quotes
John Carter (sorry guys)
Ground-hog Day
The Mummy
Pirates of the Caribbean
Batman (fantasy??)
Beowolf
Does the Rome series count? Sword and sandals??

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Labyrinth, without a shadow of a doubt. Not only the best fantasy film ever made, but the best film ever made, end of! It's got everything .. monsters, mazes. furry worms, crotches, talking door knockers, tragedy, love, confusion, joy, Ludo (LooooooDoooooo) and Sir Didymus! It really is the most perfect film ever made, couldn't recommend enough! I own it in Betamax, VHS, DVD and BluRay .. Go watch it now, it'll change your perception of every other film ever made, for the worse. Nothing will ever compare (except maybe The Lion King). Labyrinth! =)

HTTYD was indeed a big surprise, especially after other Dreamworks garbage like Shrek 2 and 3. If you can include Sci Fi Fantasy I'd add Disney's Explorer's to the list. Young Ethan Hawke in such an excellent kids' film that (I thought this even as a kid) falls apart utterly in the last half hour. But before then...wow.

Also, The Dark Crystal purely for the staggering, beautiful visuals.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Labyrinth, without a shadow of a doubt. Not only the best fantasy film ever made, but the best film ever made, end of! It's got everything .. monsters, mazes. furry worms, crotches, talking door knockers, tragedy, love, confusion, joy, Ludo (LooooooDoooooo) and Sir Didymus! It really is the most perfect film ever made, couldn't recommend enough! I own it in Betamax, VHS, DVD and BluRay .. Go watch it now, it'll change your perception of every other film ever made, for the worse. Nothing will ever compare (except maybe The Lion King). Labyrinth! =)
You forgot 1980s David Bowie in tights...

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member