Best Horror books (add your suggestions)

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
World War Z by Max Brooks was great. If you're into zombies, this is a must-read!

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
"The Sand Kings" a Short story by George R R Martin, can be found in Dreamsongs or Songs the Dead Men Sing.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
teiben said:
I've heard that Martin's Fevre Dream is a good read as well.
It is fantastic, but not really scary at all.

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
A good idea. I've read a few horror books, but I'll have to do some reading research to put one together. It's a plan though.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
A guy at work spoke very highly of Imagica and Barker in general. I think he's got a fantasy series he's been working on too.

btkong

Staff member
I love King, but don't find him "scary." Deen Koontz is pretty "creepy" in some of his novels (The Face, especially). Another good book that's creepy would be I Am Legend by Richard Matheson and his other scary book "Hell House" is good too

afa

I've read The Face, and I don't remember it being particularly creepy. Some of his older novels, however, might qualify. Phantoms, for example.

I've actually been wanting to get in to the Horror genre for a while. But I'm not familiar enough with the genre to really know which books to go for. I have heard a lot of good things about The Stand, though.

I recently read Carrion Comfort from Dan Simmons, really good horror story. It spans from WWII to the early 80's. It's about a group of people that can take control of a person's mind and body and make them do whatever they want. These "mind vampires" kind of feed off the pain and misery they cause, they are in positions of power all over the world and wreak all sorts of havoc. Scary, and a little bit epic. It' very good.

Some of my older horror faves are The Stand, Shining, and It by King. I also always loved Shadowland by Peter Straub. That one is a little bit of a sci-fi/horror mix though.

terrierTOM

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Most Stephen King i've read isn't that scary, or have been let down towards the end in my opinion, particularly his larger books, such as The Stand or IT. BUT, havign said that, Misery and Salems Lot were good books and the scariest I found. Also try Metro 2033 by Dmitri Glukohvsky (I think thats how its spelt) for some good scary moments.

The Passage, by Justin Cronin is a pretty freaky read in some parts, but an undeniably hard slog at times too.
I've read many reviews and I still don't know what's the book about. There are so many conflicting opinions it's unbelievable, but those negative ones sound more like a nit picking to me then real issues with writing. It's like a conference of skeptics questioning every single thing. But everything is in vague terms and I have no idea what the problem is. What do you mean by hard slog? Thanks.

Obviously you are not going to get answer from that person, so I'll do it.

Book is about a military experiment gone wrong, virus infected prisoners -- and for some reason a little girl -- turned into vampire-like creatures all powerful, immortal and so on. They got away, infected the world blah, blah, blah -- think Resident Evil -- then we jump a whole century. Now we are in a post apocalyptic world infested with blood thirsty monsters, handful of suvivors are trying to reach the only city with human population. So now we have King's The Stand, and I Am Legend mixed in. The little girl is an Asian movie creepy -- animals are going berserk when she's around and some other things -- but she is special ( I don't know why ) it's a trilogy after all we'll find out at the end.

It's full of beautifully written fillers and should be shorter by about 300 pages. So you have a well written movie script that's pretending to be a serious thought provoking book. That seriousness knocks the fun out of action, and inconsistent action scenes kill seriousness of the whole situation. It's like he wanted to write a fun, popular read for masses and at the same time remind those masses that he is a serious writer.

Over all it's good, if it were shorter it would be really good.