Best Horror books (add your suggestions)

Obviously you are not going to get answer from that person, so I'll do it.

Hey, hey. Chill. Here's my response.

I think The Passage is worth a try, if you're into horror. The beginning is enthralling, with a military focus and a gradual reveal of the capabilities of the creatures that have been created by the inevitable out-of-control virus. The military takes death row prisoners and infects them with this virus with the intention of creating super-soldiers, and it goes wrong. This first part of the book is kind of like a prequel in the novel itself. Then, as vodov said, it jumps forward in time to a walled community with depleting power sources, facing the possibility of being invaded by the zombie-vamps. It kind of lost me here, with too much focus on side-interactions and not enough focus on the main narrative. Cronin has that Stephen King-like tendency to go off on a tangent into the characters' lives, and I think that the plot suffers because of it. This is what I meant by "hard slog".

I don't agree that it's a "well written movie script that's pretending to be a serious thought provoking book [sic]". I would describe it more as a literary foray into the horror genre, one which perhaps mixes too many concepts, and which tries to head down too many paths at once, and ends up fulfilling none. That being said, this is apparently the first book of a trilogy, so maybe these loose ends will be more fulfilled later in the trilogy. I can't imagine the scope it'll incorporate by its end, but Cronin's definitely got something big planned.

So there you go, my thoughts. What do you reckon, will you give it a try? :)

Obviously you are not going to get answer from that person, so I'll do it.

Book is about a military experiment gone wrong, virus infected prisoners -- and for some reason a little girl -- turned into vampire-like creatures all powerful, immortal and so on. They got away, infected the world blah, blah, blah -- think Resident Evil -- then we jump a whole century. Now we are in a post apocalyptic world infested with blood thirsty monsters, handful of suvivors are trying to reach the only city with human population. So now we have King's The Stand, and I Am Legend mixed in. The little girl is an Asian movie creepy -- animals are going berserk when she's around and some other things -- but she is special ( I don't know why ) it's a trilogy after all we'll find out at the end.

It's full of beautifully written fillers and should be shorter by about 300 pages. So you have a well written movie script that's pretending to be a serious thought provoking book. That seriousness knocks the fun out of action, and inconsistent action scenes kill seriousness of the whole situation. It's like he wanted to write a fun, popular read for masses and at the same time remind those masses that he is a serious writer.

Over all it's good, if it were shorter it would be really good.
It sounds interesting, I think I'll try it. Thanks.

I am not fond of reading Horror books because I am scared and I don't want to have nightmares because of reading horror stories. Maybe, I read somehow just only the brief summary of it but I really can't read the whole story book.

Oh I love horror. I had read a ton of horror books before realizing I was up to my waist in fantasy.:p
It's very hard to recommend a horror book to anyone. I find twisted seriel killers terrifying more then anything, while someone likes supernatural or blood and gore. So, all these authors are old masters, not really scary but good. By reading them you can see where did ideas and inspirations for todays books come from.
You can read them for free at :: Munseys: Horror

You can do it guys, I know they are old and boring but you might be surprised and like some of them.

On this site you can find sfi-fi, mystery, classics, history and so on.

John Polidori - The Vampyre (1819) - ending in this one reminded me of Joe Abercrombies' ending in his trilogy (Glotka, West and his sister) - read it, it's very short.
J.Sheridan LeFanu - Carmilla - this one was inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula - Le Fanu other works are also good.

Bram Stoker

William Hope Hodgson - The House on The Borderland, The Ghost Pirates and others,
Charles Maturin - Melmoth The Wanderer - others,
Edgar Allan Poe - anything,
Lord Dunsany
Lord Byron
Algernon Blackwood
M.R.James (or Montague Rhodes)
H.P.Lovecraft
Arthur Machen
Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
Marry Shelley
Amyas Northcote
Donald Wandrei
Clifford Donald Simak
W.C. Morrow
Robert Aickman
Wiliam Harrison Ainsworth
Edward Bulwer Lytton
Abraham Merritt
Oliver Onions
Arthur Conan Doyle
and so many more. All of these are free.
Next time I'll list some of my favorites that you can't find for free.:(

Here it is,

Joe Hill - Heart Shaped Box

Les Whitten - Progeny of The Adder

Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child - Relic

Whitley Strieber - The Wolfen

Stephen King - Mist, The Talisman written with Peter Straub

Peter Straub - Ghost Story

Dan Simmons - The Terror

Robert McCammon - Swan Song, Boy's Life

Richard Matheson - I Am Legend, Hell House

Ira Levin - Rosemary's Baby

Dean Koontz - The Face

Jeff Long - The Descent

Gary Bandner - The Howling

William Peter Blatty - The Exorcist, Legion

Ramsey Campbell - The Hungry Moon

Thomas Harris - Red Dragon, The Silence of The Lambs

James Herbert - The Survivor, The Fog

David Wellington got great trilogies with Vampires, Werewolves or Zombies whichever you prefer.

That's it for now, I hope you find something interesting.:)

I'm on a blood and gore team. Everything written by Clive Barker, some of them are not that great but I can't care less.
I do read and appreciate the rest of the horror bunch and I'll be checking all of your recs that I haven't read yet.

It's kinda lonely in this part of the house. Echooo.

afa

Journeyed there and back again
This first part of the book is kind of like a prequel in the novel itself. Then, as vodov said, it jumps forward in time to a walled community with depleting power sources, facing the possibility of being invaded by the zombie-vamps. It kind of lost me here, with too much focus on side-interactions and not enough focus on the main narrative. Cronin has that Stephen King-like tendency to go off on a tangent into the characters' lives, and I think that the plot suffers because of it. This is what I meant by "hard slog".
I tend to agree with this. I read the book a couple of months ago and felt similarly - a good book that goes off on too many tangents and flashbacks (including a couple of scenes which had a flashback within the flashback).

It could probably have done with a couple of hundred pages left on the cutting room floor to make it a tighter read. Still, it's pretty good and worth a shot.

Interestingly enough, in my mind The Passage didn't seem to be a horror novel. I guess I might be wrong, specially considering the fact that Cronin has garnered comparisons to the likes of Stephen King, but I just didn't approach it as a horror novel. A post-apocalyptic thriller slash drama, perhaps?

Great, can we talk horror now?
I have been reading The Malazan series, after that I would like to try horror. I like the sound of The Passage and also Sidra got interesting recs, I don't know where to start. What would you recommend?

Movie rights were bought for The Passage before he finished the first book and it's obvious. First 1/3 of the book is great, then it turned into something only Hollywood can dredge up. He used almost every horror and sfi-fi thriller cliche he could without reason or logic and choked it with endless backstories. I'm going to comper it to the movies based on certain books like I Am Legend, Andromeda Strain, Resident Evil, 28 days Later, The Stand, The Road. If you want to read something good then read McCammon's Swan Song - here little girl makes sense. Matheson's I Am Legend, King's The Stand, McCormack's The Road, Crichton's Andromeda Strain, watch the 28 Days Later and Alien (this one will make sense after you read The Passage) and play Resident evil- actually see the movie you'll see why. Then read The Passage. I'm sorry but I can't give you unbiased opinion of this book. If it sounds good to you read it, a lot of people liked it. One positive thing that I can say it's written well.

Obscenic

Told lies with Locke
The books by King that scared me the most were Gerald's Game and Pet Sematary.

I don't remember being scared by the rest, but those really put chills down my spine.