Best Horror books (add your suggestions)

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
I love horror but have a hard time finding good ones so its a every now and again thing (people keep recommending King and Coonts or the various clones of, which are well written, i just hate them all except Green Mile. I think King is the source of the death Deus Ex Machina in modern writing)

so my list is comprised of short stories (in order)
The Colour Out of Space ~ HP Lovecraft
The Wall of Eryx ~ Lovecraft and idontknowwho
The Pit and the Pendelum ~Edgar Allen Poe
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow ~ Washington Irving
The Signal Man ~ Charles Dickens

if any one has suggestions on books not by King or Coonts, and not mere King clones....IM ALL EARS!!!

Haven't read it myself but been trawling different book forums and one horror book keeps popping up... Jack Ketchum's The Off Season.
Apparantly its very graphic & gory.

Off season was absolutely great! I also really liked Vampires of Arizona, a mix of horror/SF/urban fantasy where a girl must fight bloodthirsty vampires in a town lost in Arizona. For 0,99 cents I thought it was a great deal:
Link to the book

It reminded me of True blood and Carpenter's "Vampires".

Ghost Story, by Peter Straub (a "must" for anyone interested in horror! It takes the traditional idea of a ghost story, and turns it into something completely of its own! It's not the scariest book i've ever read, but it certainly had its moments, a few of which I will carry with me all my life, and THAT is a good thing!)

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
The Ritual by Adam Nevill.
the only horror book I've read that has legitimately scared me. not that I've read that much though, some james herbert, the terror which wasn't really horror but damn good anyways, lovecraft, some older novels by some 19th century writers and once I read IT by stephen king but apart from the clown thing, I didn't like it at all.

It's about 4 middle-aged guys going on a hiking trip in norway I think and due to circumstances they have to take a short-cut through the nearby forrest. a little while later something begins to stalk them...
so a tired cliché then but it is written really well.
it has two parts, the first is the stalking thing and very much the best of the book. the second part is something almost completely different, so much that i'm still not sure if it was all neccesary. It still is pretty good though, but whereas the first part was all about the supernatural stalking terror, the second part deals with a very much human terror.
Like the terror it all of a sudden gets a very fantasy-esque twist, but it mostly all gets explained so that's all good.

Juan256

Possibly a Darkfriend
Just finishing reading mine classic Cozy Chilling Bedtime Stories by P. Gibey. Love the reading all the time, have read it for 2times now yet still CATCHING MY HEART!!!

Lev Daert

Just read The Shining,
wasn't scary at all but there were some shocking parts.
the really good thing about the book and most stephen king books, is the relationship and the interactions the characters have with eachother, they're so complicated and très realistic.
I found that it is more a novel about the love between family members than the story about the overlook hotel, or maybe just that the family comes first and foremost and the hotel second.
also having seen the shining first and only afterwards read the book I think it's very interesting to see that while obviously they're very much the same, they're also very much their own thing.
the book is way more and very blatantly supernatural, while the movie (at least at the start) makes the viewer question whether or not the supernatural elements might just be a part of jack's psyche.
I read the hodder edition wich has a foreword by stephen king mentioning that indeed Stanley Kubrick chose to put the emphasis on possible psychosis, and that in essence this is something that could happen to anyone. making that aspect pretty scary.

Lev Daert

Finished Pet Sematary,
Definitely up there with the best (or worst) horror.
It doesn't always have to be scary, it also can be something pretty unsettling.
I found the foreword very interesting, mentioning that King thinks that Sematary is his scariest novel, because it's a novel based on his own fears and experiences;
Sort of like when you have those thoughts; what if something happened to my mom or dad, son, daughter or sibling? except more like a further exploration of that idea; A journey down the Rabbit hole.

moonspawn

I haven't read much horror, but I thought Summer of Night by Dan Simmons was a great novel. Probably one I'll want to re-read in the future. Sent chills up and down my spine. It didn't scare me nearly as much as it creeped me out. The quality of the vivid prose combined with the eerie atmosphere is nearly perfect.

Lev Daert

I haven't read much horror, but I thought Summer of Night by Dan Simmons was a great novel. Probably one I'll want to re-read in the future. Sent chills up and down my spine. It didn't scare me nearly as much as it creeped me out. The quality of the vivid prose combined with the eerie atmosphere is nearly perfect.
I'm reading the Hyperion Cantos right now and can't believe how rich in detail and how much fun I'm having with it, sure the first 90 pages or so were somewhat slow, but man at the end of kassad's tale I was hooked ( as cliché as that sounds:p). you know what i'm talking about: the fight scene winds down, becomes somewhat romantic and then... change hits. quite crazy. the shrike is just awesome. and I do mean that word. Just Awe-inspiring. Everything about it.
Anyway, what i'm getting at is that after reading the Terror, and after finally taking the plunge into the Hyperion cantos. and Finding it very much to my liking- I looked at Simmon's wikipedia for some horror. and the only one that Jumped out was Song of Kali, But that one's premise didn't really intrigue me, So I just looked elsewhere for some horror. (very much a phase with me right now, hey I'm 22, give me a break, I've barely read anything yet.)
But, and here comes the heart of the matter, if such a very distinguished member of the Best Book community recommends a book by an author that I'd like to read more from in a genre that i'm very much exploring right now. Then That is a gift.
so, thank you Moonspawn. For your gift.

Riposte

I'll second Summer of Night. I really enjoyed that book. Its loose sequel A Winter Haunting twisted my brain into knots (in a good way!) and is great little horror novel and may be my favorite Simmons novel (though I admit there is still a lot of his stuff I haven't read yet). It is a more personal story and really puts you in the mind of the character.

moonspawn

I'm almost finished with I Am Not A Serial Killer. It's a very exciting and suspenseful book.

sarumaniac

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Haven't read an awful lot of horror but what I do know is I Am Legend is one of my favourite books of all time. The Will Smith film makes me so so angry :mad:

Lev Daert

Haven't read an awful lot of horror but what I do know is I Am Legend is one of my favourite books of all time. The Will Smith film makes me so so angry :mad:
I actually like that movie, and think it's more horror than the book was,
the part where nevill is looking for sam in the dark building and where you can see the infected huddled together like some freakish parody of a litter of puppies just huddling together just put chills down my spine.
Btw, the film has actually two different endings, and the ending that sticks closest to the book is actually the worst (I think)

however the build-up with the dog was incredibly well done in the book and the film doesn't match it at all in that part.

I prefer to think of them both as their own thing, unconnected.

ebookfan

A farm boy with a sword
Horror books I'm looking forward to read:

Ancestral Reunions by Caitlin West, Seeing Crimson by KB Forrest, The Death Ship Trilogy by Arabella Wyatt - all from Extasy Books.

But I would love to get my hands on 'World War Z' too. Never seen the movie, never read the book.

Lev Daert

Just finished Salem's lot, by Stephen King,
I enjoyed parts of it, but when it was done I thought it was a little long-winded.
The Fact that the good magic/faith effects were very tangible was pretty cool. structure of the novel was also good, slow start, picks up alot toward the end though.
just yeah, book got boring-ish somewhere in the middle, or maybe I was just tired.
I did Really enjoy the little short stories in the book, pretty cool.
Overall it was a pretty good homage to Dracula.

btw, my edition, Hodder paperback, was a illustrated edition.
all fine and well, but the ink came off.

moonspawn

Goodreads recommended a book called In Silent Graves to me. Has anyone read this book? The reviews make it look very appealing.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Goodreads recommended a book called In Silent Graves to me. Has anyone read this book? The reviews make it look very appealing.
Would you believe that is like the ONE horror book I have read in the past 10-15 years? An ex-boyfriend lent it to me.

There are a lot of fantasy elements. Also some disgusting stuff with corpses -- the first part was a little hard for me to take, but I remember it getting better. I don't remember anything about the writing style (I read it like 7 years ago). It's hard to think of what else to say, it's been so long since I read it. (And since I don't read horror, I really can't compare it to anything else.)