Best Horror books (add your suggestions)

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
Hell House by Richard Matheson was a really good read. And Ghost Story by Peter Straub. The film adaptations weren't good though

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
Still in a horror frame of mind. The scariest (don't know if the best, but definitely the most creepy) horror story I've ever read was a short story called The Entrance by Gerald Durrel.

For those of you who haven't heard of him, Durrel was this English naturalist who became famous after writing several funny, YA, semi-autobiographic books about his childhood on some Greek island in the 1930's, about all the animals he used to collect, and how he drove his entire family crazy - the most famous one was My Family and Other Animals. Good YA stuff, BTW. He died around 20 years ago.

So, I was reading a book of short stories by him, called The Picnic and Suchlike Pandemonium. All the stories there were exactly what I expected - funny stories from his childhood, but the last story there (the Entrance) literally freaked me out. Maybe because I wasn't expecting something like that from him. It was like discovering your pet dog suddenly becoming the Hound of the Baskervilles.

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
My favorite horror novel is Dan Simmons - Carrion Comfort

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
My favorite horror novel is Dan Simmons - Carrion Comfort
Is it that good? I've read his sci-fi Hyperion and Endymion series. Is it anything like that?

moonspawn

Is it that good? I've read his sci-fi Hyperion and Endymion series. Is it anything like that?
It's big and epic but not like that. In a different way. I tried it on audiobook and I wasn't able to finish it. Boring narrators combined with just how long winded it was made it impossible to listen through 36 discs.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've read his sci-fi Hyperion and Endymion series. Is it anything like that?
Butting in somewhat .... but I've read one Dan Simmons Horror/Fantasy novel (The Terror) and it's absolutely nothing like Hyperion. Which is good imo. It would probably be up your alley as it's based on historical fact for the most part, but with some fantastical elements thrown in for good measure!

ofer

Yes.
I've read his sci-fi Hyperion and Endymion series. Is it anything like that?
Nope.

It's more classic horror, combined with recent history elements (WW2). I thought it was very good.

I also second The Terror. In fact, I suggest you vacate a month and read several of Simmons' books: Illium, Olympos, and Flashback (all SF) and The Terror and Carrion Comfort (Horror).

@moonspawn I read Carrion Comfort in the old-fashioned way, so unlike that guy from Fight Club, the only voice I heard in my head was mine. :p

Edit: Who said that? ;)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I've just ordered The Terror and Carrion Comfort. Thanks for the rec, guys!

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
I've just ordered The Terror and Carrion Comfort. Thanks for the rec, guys!
You should have got Summer of Night instead of The Terror...it's almost as good as Carrion Comfort. I liked The Terror, but it's about 200 pages too long.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
You should have got Summer of Night instead of The Terror...it's almost as good as Carrion Comfort. I liked The Terror, but it's about 200 pages too long.
It's safe to say that if I like the 2 horror novels by Simmons that I just bought I'll also purchase Summer of Night.

Derk of Derkholm

I'm not a big horror fan, but I liked to read Stephen King books when I was about 12.

And ... I remember that one day, I got "The First Book of Blood" by Clive Barker ... and it totally freaked me out!
In comparison to that, the Stephen King books were nice and cosy bedtime stories. That one, however, kept me lying awake with eyes wide open after reading it at night, so that is what I would suggest to horror fans.

Add your horror book suggestions here.
For short story fans, I recommend Traumatized by Alexander S. Brown. It is a series of horror shorts that ratchet up with intensity from one tale to the next. I still think about the final story every time I look in the mirror. *shudders*

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
For short story fans, I recommend Traumatized by Alexander S. Brown. It is a series of horror shorts that ratchet up with intensity from one tale to the next. I still think about the final story every time I look in the mirror. *shudders*

You're not totally unbiased though, right? Isn't Brown one of the authors that work for you?

Last edited:
No, I've appeared at some of the same conventions as Alex, and I believe we share space in one or two anthologies from Dark Oak Press. He's a colleague and friend, so there is definitely some bias there. That being said, the title lives up to its name. If you don't think so, read it and see if you can eat sushi or look in a mirror without thinking about this collection of tales.

Last edited: