Best Horror Movies (add your suggestions)

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Not really into Horror, but I liked 28 days later. Cillian Murphy at the end was awesome

Hmm.. it's quite hard to recall my favorite horror movie. Sometimes the storyline but be good, but might end up with a bad ending. Overall, I'd have to say The Last Exorcism.

Asian originals of The Ring and The Eye, Alien and older movie The Exorcist this one is engraved into my memory forever. I was in high school and wanted to scare my friends for Halloween so I got dvd from my parent's pile of "forbidden" movies. In the beginning of possession girl's bed is shaking, well that night we had earthquake and my bed was shaking like crazy, I just remember running to my parent's bedroom screaming on top of my lungs. For very long time I had slept with crucifix under my pillow just in case. This was uncut version with all the nasty stuff.

afa

Journeyed there and back again
I remember seeing The Exorcist on DVD with a friend some years ago. He had a nice big TV, and we had heard a lot about the movie. We decided to find out what the fuss is all about.

If anything, we found it mildly amusing.

btkong

Staff member
The Ring (freaky)
Aliens 1 & 2
The Exorcist -- classic
The Thing
Insidious (a new horror one, but one of the more freaky ones I've seen in a while)
Drag Me to Hell (another pretty scary one)
The Last Exorcist -- not necessarily too scary, but I really enjoyed how the whole thing was put together
The Shining -- scary and so influential on pop culture.
Poltergeist

afa

The Ring (freaky)
Freaky, indeed.

Aliens 1 & 2
Don't hate me, but I've never seen them...

The Exorcist -- classic
Rented it on DVD a few years ago and watched it. Booooooringgg. Seriously, I really don't get why people find this movie scary. It nearly put me to sleep.

Drag Me to Hell (another pretty scary one)
This is a joke, right? You were being funny?

I would add Paranormal Activity to the list (the first one). That was nice and freaky.

Oooh! The best horror movie I've ever watched by far was REC If you plan on watching it though dont watch the english dubbed version. I love horror cuz it thrills me, but this one had me literally in tears lol

Been on a bit of a horror movie kick lately so I thought I'd add good films ive watched recently to this thread

The Orphanage - Really creepy spanish film about a haunted house with a great twist
The Audition - more of a thriller than horror but the last 15-20 mins is pretty terrifying
Descent
Session 9 - about a haunted mental asylum that is having alterations done to the building.

Been on a bit of a horror movie kick lately so I thought I'd add good films ive watched recently to this thread

The Orphanage - Really creepy spanish film about a haunted house with a great twist
The Audition - more of a thriller than horror but the last 15-20 mins is pretty terrifying
Descent
Session 9 - about a haunted mental asylum that is having alterations done to the building.

You know, Descent surprised me (I hope it's the one with those girls stuck in some cave system). They made it really good, especially creatures.

The Shining and the original texas chainsaw were the only two horror movies that actually scared me. i would say horror movies nowadays are dominated by Asia. so i would have to include "The Audition" and "Dumplins"

Bierschneeman

Ive only been scared by two horror movies in my life, Event Horizon, (which is laughable now im older) and The Fear (i have not seen hide nor hair of this one since.

but my favorite "Dagon" but im a huge Lovecraft fan

(ohh "Salo: 120 days of Sodom" it was on the Critereon collection, is the scariest movie ever and its not a horror movie.... i DO NOT recommend it, it is NOT for human consumption. i rue the day someone told me to watch it. I couldn't sleep for 6 days.) two good points of why it is so AWFUL, the director was murdered over it in the seventies before he finished. and its based on a book by the Marquis de Sade (from the 1700s) who is to this day demonized for his deeply disturbing works.
I still get nightmares from it.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I've seen but a single horror movie in the theaters, and it wasn't my choice. My older brother convinced me to go with him and his friend to see the midnight premier of The Descent. We were in a decently filled theater (Considering the fact we saw it at Midnight.) but the film was so intensively petrifying that, by the end of the movie we were, quite literally, the last people in the entire theater. Even I had nightmares for weeks afterward, and I'm usually very good at disconnecting myself from movies that I'm watching.

Then there's always the Blair Witch Project. I saw it when I was young, and was again terrified out of my mind. However, if I saw the movie now I'd simply think that it's unintelligent and cheesy.

I have many close friends that claim that the first two Paranormal Activity movies were just as very scary as well, but I've never seen them personally.

For me, probably The Shining - but I'm too wimpy to watch horror films anymore, so I have no idea what's good from the last 10-15 years...