Best Science Fiction books (add your suggestions)

I'm so happy to see other people love so many of the same books as myself! The first sci-fi I ever read was in the form of a short story called "The Star-Pit" by Samual R. Delaney. It is still one of my favorite short stories.

terrierTOM

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
The Player of Games is a favourite of mine, and its a great start to the Culture Novels by Iain M. Banks
The Culture series is a great one, and every novel feels quite differenet to the last, so there should be something for everyone (but so far, Player is the best).

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Another vote for the "Culture" series.

Also, an incredible author (who unfortunately did not write very many books) was Cordwainer Smith.

He created a very rich saga spanning a timeline of 13,000 years with benevolent overlords called "The instrumentality of Mankind".
He wrote one novel in this setting, "Norstrilia", which I can wholeheartedly endorse: http://www.cordwainer-smith.com/norstrilia.htm

The author, Cordwainer Smith (pseudonym of Paul M.A. Linebarger), himself was a very fascinating personality: scholar, professor, spy, author, expert on psychological warfare.
Read more about him here: Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger, Colonel, United States Army

"While in Korea, Linebarger masterminded the surrender of thousands of Chinese troops who considered it shameful to give up their arms. He drafted leaflets explaining how the soldiers could surrender by shouting the Chinese words for 'love,' 'duty,' 'humanity,' and 'virtue'--words that happened, when pronounced in that order, to sound like 'I surrender' in English. He considered this act to be the single most worthwhile thing he had done in his life."
Best regards,
Andy

These are the great article of Science Fiction books and I would love to see those lists and choose the right book for me. These are worth reading for. Thanks for sharing it in here. Keep us updated for other collections of book.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Anything by Ray Bradbury... duh!
Really? I thought Fahrenheit 451 was really average. A Canticle for Leibowitz was a much better version of that story.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Apart from the obvious toplists(John Scalzi,RKM,et al) , some of my favorites are:

Star Carrier Series by Ian Douglas ( Being a HUGE fan of transcendence (the after death kind) , loved it, awesome series )
Quantum Thief bu Hannu Rajaniemi(Mind=Blown, but its a lot of intellectual work to actually get into the story )
Mind Storm,Terminal point by KM Ruiz ( One of the few post-apocs i liked, strangely)

Never really liked Dune for some reason...found it a bit too..meandering..if that makes any sense -_-
Cheers!

Bierschneeman

Anything NOT Ray Bradbury, He is the most overrated science fiction writer ever. everything he did was merely a Hack version of a story put out within a decade beforehand.

Ive always liked Isaa Asimov particularly Foundation. and Ive been getting a really into Phillip K Dick

Starship Troopers Robert Heinlen
Solaris Stanisław Lem.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Anything NOT Ray Bradbury, He is the most overrated science fiction writer ever. everything he did was merely a Hack version of a story put out within a decade beforehand.

Ive always liked Isaa Asimov particularly Foundation. and Ive been getting a really into Phillip K Dick

Starship Troopers Robert Heinlen
Solaris Stanisław Lem.
I've only read Fahrenheit 451 but yeah, that didn't impress me at all. I really like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

I'm personally fond of "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester, "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein, and "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said" by Philip K. Dick.

Bierschneeman

I'm personally fond of "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester, "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein, and "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said" by Philip K. Dick.
ooo I love Starship troopers,(very differentt from the movie.)

I know its odd with so many different things out there but I like H.G. Wells. I know its old school but i still like the time machine and the war of the worlds, the invisible man. And i like Jules Verne stuff. But there really are a lot of good books out there now. The Best sci-fi that i have read lately is a new book put out by author Adriana Thompson. and the title is Faded. I was very pleased. The only thing i didn't like is that it was only on kindle. Im still a little old fashioned. but i do love my sci fi.

Derk of Derkholm

Funny, I recently re-read the "Foundation" series that I loved when I was twelve, but I was much less impressed by them now.

Best regards,
Andy

Boreas

Staff member
My favourite science fiction novels during the last many years have been by Iain M. Banks (Culture books) or by Alastair Reynolds. I've re-read many of the Culture novels and I plan to re-read all of Reynold's 'Revalation Space' books, too.

I thought Fahrenheit 451 was really average. A Canticle for Leibowitz was a much better version of that story.
I'm glad you enjoyed 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' as I thought it was a phenomenal novel. Although, I don't see how Leibowitz's book was in any way similar to Bradbury's. One is a post apocalyptic tale of civilisation rebuilding itself over thousands of years; the other a statement on censorship during the McCarthy era.

Jon Snow

Staff member
My favourite science fiction novels during the last many years have been by Iain M. Banks (Culture books) or by Alastair Reynolds. I've re-read many of the Culture novels and I plan to re-read all of Reynold's 'Revalation Space' books, too.

I'm glad you enjoyed 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' as I thought it was a phenomenal novel. Although, I don't see how Leibowitz's book was in any way similar to Bradbury's. One is a post apocalyptic tale of civilisation rebuilding itself over thousands of years; the other a statement on censorship during the McCarthy era.
The similar parts was what I was referring to was mainly the first part where the church was trying to save knowledge and everyone was destroying it because it brought about the apoc. And 451 was about destroying books but like you said about censorship.

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
I may be on my own here but I think that the first three Halo books are absolutely awesome. Well written, lots of action and makes you look at the games differently. I would be easier to base the movie on the books than the game!

Laura J Drake

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Some of my favorites are very old school some before science fiction and fantasy were separate categories and it was called science fantasy
Anne McCaffrey's Dragon rider's of Pern and Marrion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover.
These were the books that got me into Science fiction and fantasy.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Some of my favorites are very old school some before science fiction and fantasy were separate categories and it was called science fantasy
Anne McCaffrey's Dragon rider's of Pern and Marrion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover.
These were the books that got me into Science fiction and fantasy.
Welcome to the boards Laura! Have you read more recent books? Times have changed so much. I still love the old school sci-fi but loath the old school fantasy.

Laura J Drake

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Welcome to the boards Laura! Have you read more recent books? Times have changed so much. I still love the old school sci-fi but loath the old school fantasy.
In a more recent vein there is Frank Herbert's Dune and my favorite David Weber's Honor Harrington series.