Best Science Fiction books (add your suggestions)

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
In a more recent vein there is Frank Herbert's Dune and my favorite David Weber's Honor Harrington series.
Well if Dune is your most recent, then you are in for a treat. I would say that the last 20 years, there has been a revolution or a new age in fantasy, especially the last 12 years. I wish I could wipe my memory of some books just so I can read them again without knowing what happens.

Laura J Drake

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Well if Dune is your most recent, then you are in for a treat. I would say that the last 20 years, there has been a revolution or a new age in fantasy, especially the last 12 years. I wish I could wipe my memory of some books just so I can read them again without knowing what happens.
I read both science fiction and fantasy and for the forum, I am trying to keep them separate. But it is difficult as my own novel in progress is a combination of science fiction and magic. I have not read too many new books except for the series I started long ago.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Which books? Now you got me curious :D
If it was fantasy we are talking about, A Song of Ice and Fire, The First Law, Mistborn, The Lies of Locke Lamora, Assassin's Apprentice, Legend, Troy...I'm sure there are more.

If it was sci-fi, nothing new really stands out but the old school Brave New World, 1984 would be a couple of ones I really liked.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
New Sci-Fi ... everything I've read by John Scalzi has been brilliant. The Martian by Andy Weir is my favourite book of the year!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
If it was fantasy we are talking about, A Song of Ice and Fire, The First Law, Mistborn, The Lies of Locke Lamora, Assassin's Apprentice, Legend, Troy...I'm sure there are more.

If it was sci-fi, nothing new really stands out but the old school Brave New World, 1984 would be a couple of ones I really liked.
I was thinking more science fiction books because I'm not familiar with new sci-fi books. But yeah, fantasy has experienced a re-birth in recent years.

Jon Snow

Staff member

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
I was thinking more science fiction books because I'm not familiar with new sci-fi books. But yeah, fantasy has experienced a re-birth in recent years.
Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, and Ender's Game for starters. The thing is, I can easily re-read really good books, but you can only get the plot twists once.

Last edited:

Jon Snow

Staff member
Yes, Ben has high praise for Hyperion and I definitely like Ender's Game. I also quite liked his Jason Worthington Saga as well.

Hand of Fear

@Jon Snow has a point though it's a great feeling to read a great book for the very time, and I personally think that reading/watching anything a second time would loose a little bit of the magic.

kenubrion

I've changed my mind after reading The Greatship/Marrow/Well of Stars trilogy by Robert Reed. That's the best sci-fi I've read now.

wakarimasen

Any Sci-fi by Iain M. Banks or Neal Stephenson get's my vote as the best.
They've never failed to deliver as far as I'm concerned.
Honourable mention should go to Anne Macaffery.
Plus here's a weird little one I came across that sticks in my mind: Prodigal Sun - Philip E. High
There was another about a hunchbacked creature that eventually sprouts wings, which I can't remember the name of that I liked as a kid.
Philip K Dicks are always mindbenders.

Boreas

Staff member
I've changed my mind after reading The Greatship/Marrow/Well of Stars trilogy by Robert Reed. That's the best sci-fi I've read now.
Thanks for letting me know about "The Greatship". I'd read the Marrow trilogy before, but I had no idea he'd put out a collection of shorts in the same setting. Will definitely get it, even though I was a little disappointed in the last book.

kenubrion

Thanks for letting me know about "The Greatship". I'd read the Marrow trilogy before, but I had no idea he'd put out a collection of shorts in the same setting. Will definitely get it, even though I was a little disappointed in the last book.
Greatship is the best of the three and Reed recommends it be read first.

Boreas

Staff member
Greatship is the best of the three and Reed recommends it be read first.
Well, too late for me. Still, reading the novels before the collected stories isn't really a handicap, I'd say. I checked out his website (http://www.robertreedwriter.com/bibliography.html), and have realised that most of the stories featured in "The Greatship" were written before "Marrow" and published in various magazines or anthologies. TG is a fix-up presentation of these stories in one volume. Also, TG was originally only available as an ebook, and is also available as 'print-on-demand', which explains why I never saw it in bookstores. I have physical copies of "Marrow" and "The Well of Stars". When "Memory of Sky" came out, I already had my Kindle, but I still bought it in paperback since I wanted the whole trilogy in the same format.

Also check out his "Sister Alice".

kenubrion

Well, too late for me. Still, reading the novels before the collected stories isn't really a handicap, I'd say. I checked out his website (http://www.robertreedwriter.com/bibliography.html), and have realised that most of the stories featured in "The Greatship" were written before "Marrow" and published in various magazines or anthologies. TG is a fix-up presentation of these stories in one volume. Also, TG was originally only available as an ebook, and is also available as 'print-on-demand', which explains why I never saw it in bookstores. I have physical copies of "Marrow" and "The Well of Stars". When "Memory of Sky" came out, I already had my Kindle, but I still bought it in paperback since I wanted the whole trilogy in the same format.

Also check out his "Sister Alice".
Bought Sister Alice after your rec and sampling, am about 25% through, but putting it aside until I get through the newest in the Koban series which just arrived via pre-order. I'm heavily invested in this great sci-fi series and have to know what's next, but it's back to Sister Alice after that. Love the concept and writing, and Reed is such a wonderful author. Thanks for the Sister Alice rec.

Boreas

Staff member
Sure thing. Never heard of the Koban series. What's it about?

kenubrion

Sure thing. Never heard of the Koban series. What's it about?
Galaxy is dominated by the Krall. Think Klingons who are smarter and more vicious, plus physically half again as big as humans. They invade and subjugate planets for the sole purpose of sending new warriors into battle and letting the cream of the crop, the survivors, procreate and give rise to another generation hopefully more vicious and better at fighting and thinking. Intentionally forced Darwinism. They eventually decimate each planet when they're done playing with it.

Along comes an interstellar cruise ship that they capture and take the humans to their training planet, which is very harsh and has some real vicious predators, to play with. Even the Krall don't populate this planet, it and the native creatures are more than a match even for the Krall. A way to begin being able to fight the Krall and the native predators is discovered, and the game is on. But there's a time limit as the Krall are heading to Earth as a new planet to take soon.

Fresh, unique ideas from the human survivors of the cruise ship begin showing success, and that's all I'll tell you about. The hard science is actually not just believable but some of it we already know works. Lots of surprises from the enterprising humans, whose development is really cool to watch. And the galaxy wide battle is on, with great action both on land as well as space battles. The Krall want to fight up close and personal when they could just obliterate a planet from orbit.

http://www.amazon.com/Koban-Stephen...?ie=UTF8&qid=1417806197&sr=8-4&keywords=koban

Last edited: