BFB Members Rankings List

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
So, here it is, the official BFB Members Ranking List. What I plan to do over the next we while is provide what I hope is some interesting commentary around the list and more generally some of my own observations around the information that you all have provided.

First up, a quick recap on how the ratings system works. Any member can provide a score out of 10 with half marks allowed and which encapsulates how they fell about a particular series or standalone book. There is no requirement around a series being finished nor for a Member to have read the entire series. If a Member feels able to provide a rating, then that suffices.

The rating itself is scored by the Member on whatever basis they so choose. It can be how well written they believe the book to be, how influential in their opinion it is, how emotional they felt while reading it or anything else they might have deemed as the reason to score a particular series/standalone in the way in which they did.

Once the ratings have been received, these are then "scrubbed" so that we don't have multiple entries under different titles for the same series. From here, a simple average is taken for a series or a standalone book, which is then adjusted by a scaling factor dependent upon how many votes each series or standalone book has received. This only marginally adjusts the average score and means that books which have received more ratings slightly benefit from having done so - the theory being that the more ratings received the more accurate the average score should be. Series or standalones that have received less than three votes (at this stage) are excluded from any "top" list.

Nothing too complex really but obviously everything is dependent upon receiving ratings in the first place, so a big thank you to those of you who have done so and if you're still considering sending them in, just do it already, in order to ensure that we get as rich a data set as possible. Likewise, if you've already sent in ratings but have new series or standalone books which you've subsequently read and want to rate, send these through as well.

Next entry I'll provide the top 25 books as rated by BFB Members.

Antoxx

Here is the top 25 fantasy series/standalones as voted by BFB Members:

1 Stormlight Archive Brandon Sanderson 9.2
2 Lord of the Rings J R R Tolkien 8.8
3 Liveship Traders Robin Hobb 8.4
4 Tigana Guy Kavriel Kay 8.3
5 Mistborn Brandon Sanderson 8.3
6 A Song of Ice and Fire George RR Martin 8.3
7 The Hobbit J R R Tolkien 8.2
8 Farseer Trilogy Robin Hobb 8.2
9 Kingkiller Chronicles Patrick Rothfuss 8.2
10 Raven's Shadow Anthony Ryan 8.1
11 Gentleman Bastard Sequence Scott Lynch 8.1
12 Malazan Book of the Fallen Steven Erikson 8.1
13 The First Law Trilogy Joe Abercrombie 7.9
14 Chronicles of the Black Company Glen Cook 7.9
15 Tawny Man Trilogy Robin Hobb 7.7
16 Long Price Quartet Daniel Abraham 7.7
17 Wheel of Time Robert Jordan 7.7
18 The Lightbringer Series Brent Weeks 7.6
19 American Gods Neil Gaiman 7.6
20 First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Stephan Donaldson 7.4
21 Dagger and the Coin Daniel Abraham 7.4
22 Dresden Files Jim Butcher 7.4
23 Elantris Brandon Sanderson 7.4
24 Fevre Dream George RR Martin 7.3
25 Best Served Cold Joe Abercrombie 7.2

Next entry I'll provide information around how many ratings have been used in compiling the list.

Last edited:

fbones24

I loved Liveship and I'm surprised to see other members feel the same. I thought farseer would definitely be ranked higher than Liveship.

...and just for clarification, I personally had Liveship ranked slightly higher than Farseer.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Maxal

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
Based on the books I have read, I would have Farseer ranked higher than Liveship. I would also have Lord of the Rings ranked lower, true it is a classic, but many books surpassed it, in my opinion. I certainly do not think Mistborn should ranked higher than SoIaF. I didn't managed to read past page 100 of Tigana, so it certainly would appear as number 4.... Tawny Man shouldn't make the top 25, in my opinion: most depressing and frustrating book ever.

Here are my rates:

Stormlight Archive Brandon Sanderson 9.5 -> Based on book one only as I haven't read WoR yet
A Song of Ice and Fire George RR Martin 9.2
Kingkiller Chronicles Patrick Rothfuss 9.1
Farseer Trilogy Robin Hobb 8.8
Raven's Shadow Anthony Ryan 8.5
The Rithmatist Brandon Sanderson 8.3
Liveship Traders Robin Hobb 8.2
Wheel of Time Robert Jordan 8.0
Lord of the Rings J R R Tolkien 7.8
Mistborn Brandon Sanderson 7.7
The Hobbit J R R Tolkien 7.2
Tawny Man Trilogy Robin Hobb 5.0

I haven't rated book I didn't manage to finish as I believe my rate would be unfair.

Antoxx

Based on the books I have read, I would have Farseer ranked higher than Liveship. I would also have Lord of the Rings ranked lower, true it is a classic, but many books surpassed it, in my opinion. I certainly do not think Mistborn should ranked higher than SoIaF. I didn't managed to read past page 100 of Tigana, so it certainly would appear as number 4.... Tawny Man shouldn't make the top 25, in my opinion: most depressing and frustrating book ever.

Here are my rates:

Stormlight Archive Brandon Sanderson 9.5 -> Based on book one only as I haven't read WoR yet
A Song of Ice and Fire George RR Martin 9.2
Kingkiller Chronicles Patrick Rothfuss 9.1
Farseer Trilogy Robin Hobb 8.8
Raven's Shadow Anthony Ryan 8.5
The Rithmatist Brandon Sanderson 8.3
Liveship Traders Robin Hobb 8.2
Wheel of Time Robert Jordan 8.0
Lord of the Rings J R R Tolkien 7.8
Mistborn Brandon Sanderson 7.7
The Hobbit J R R Tolkien 7.2
Tawny Man Trilogy Robin Hobb 5.0

I haven't rated book I didn't manage to finish as I believe my rate would be unfair.
Thanks @Maxal, i'll round to nearest half mark and include in the ratings.:)

moonspawn

I'm not sure if anyone responded to this but I did post in the listverse thread that the top 5 on the user's ranking list is much more similar to the top 5 at fantasybookreviews than Ben's list. I just can't help but think that's interesting and even a little bit funny, especially considering that I wouldn't even consider reading most of the books recommended at fantasybookreviews.

Antoxx

I'm not sure if anyone responded to this but I did post in the listverse thread that the top 5 on the user's ranking list is much more similar to the top 5 at fantasybookreviews than Ben's list. I just can't help but think that's interesting and even a little bit funny, especially considering that I wouldn't even consider reading most of the books recommended at fantasybookreviews.
Great observation and although the List has changed slightly due to more ratings received, based on the List as previously posted, all of Ben's top 5 are in the top 13 of the list whereas fantasybookreview's top 4 (LotR, MBotF, Liveship, Mistborn) are in the top 12 of the list and one (Earthsea) ranked way down the list and outside the top 30.

Going slightly wider, all but one of Ben's top 10 (Acts of Caine) are inside top 20, whereas only 5 of fantasybookreview's top 10 are inside the top 20. So, the list probably has more in common with Ben's list (IMHO).

I plan on posting a full comparison to Ben's list at some point.

Last edited:

Darth Tater

I believe some felt Farseer deserved more love. Perhaps so.

Admittedly, I only gave it a "7" . I found it well written, but sometimes sloppy as well. Particularly the ending seemed rushed. I thought it far too dark and depressing and only moderately interesting. I held no desire to continue reading the series after book one.

I'm certainly in the minority but
" renegade" votes like mine would get diluted if we could interest more raters. :)

Antoxx, kudos once again. You're making this fun, interesting, and enlightening. :joyful:

João Ribeiro

First of all, awesome awesome work @Antoxx .
The top five is a bit different than we I anticipated. It's great to see Sanderson double dipping in the top five but I find it strange to see LOTR and Liveship there while ASOIAF isn't. I haven't read Liveship yet but it may just go into the TBR pile.

I guess LOTR has a special place in (almost) everyone's heart. That's class ladies and gentlemen.

I also thought that MBotF Kingkiller would rank a bit higher.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's great to see Sanderson double dipping
Ha ha ha ha ... That's something I never thought I'd see written down on paper/screen. Excuse me whilst I go and erase the image from my mind using vast amounts of alcohol!

On topic though, I'm really pleased to see LoTR near the top - it is a series which shaped the genre, and I'm glad to see it is being recognised by us!

When we read new books/series and want us to submit scores @Antoxx do you just want us to reply to this thread, or email you?

Antoxx

I believe some felt Farseer deserved more love. Perhaps so.

Admittedly, I only gave it a "7" . I found it well written, but sometimes sloppy as well. Particularly the ending seemed rushed. I thought it far too dark and depressing and only moderately interesting. I held no desire to continue reading the series after book one.

I'm certainly in the minority but
" renegade" votes like mine would get diluted if we could interest more raters. :)

Antoxx, kudos once again. You're making this fun, interesting, and enlightening. :joyful:
I agree, you are a renegade! Farseer still rates quite highly and keeps getting a lot of votes so may slip up the ratings over time as you've suggested.

Antoxx

First of all, awesome awesome work @Antoxx .
The top five is a bit different than we I anticipated. It's great to see Sanderson double dipping in the top five but I find it strange to see LOTR and Liveship there while ASOIAF isn't. I haven't read Liveship yet but it may just go into the TBR pile.

I guess LOTR has a special place in (almost) everyone's heart. That's class ladies and gentlemen.

I also thought that MBotF Kingkiller would rank a bit higher.
I think Liveships might be a special case where anyone who has read it would've liked Farseer, whereas those who didn't like Farseer wouldn't have bothered reading Liveships. It might, therefore, have culled out some lower marks as a result. You might need to keep an eye out for an update in a couple of weeks as we get more votes in as Kingkiller and ASoIaF creep up the ratings. MBOTF unfortunately suffers from bring one of those polarising books. People either love it or hate it.

Darth Tater

I think Liveships might be a special case where anyone who has read it would've liked Farseer, whereas those who didn't like Farseer wouldn't have bothered reading Liveships. It might, therefore, have culled out some lower marks as a result. You might need to keep an eye out for an update in a couple of weeks as we get more votes in as Kingkiller and ASoIaF creep up the ratings. MBOTF unfortunately suffers from bring one of those polarising books. People either love it or hate it.

Yes, I think Liveship is an odd case.

It is NOT listed in Ben's top 50. He does mention it under Farseer. Other authors such as Tad Williams and Daniel Price have more than one book listed.

There are over 116 books on the public list but Liveship is NOT listed there either.

However:

It IS listed as number three on the fantasy book review top 100 list.

And it IS listed as number three on the forum top 25 list.

Interesting. I wonder why?

Hand of Fear

I have a feeling that this list will evolve over time depending on what everyone is reading, for example if you have a few of us all reading the same book or series and we all give it good ratings then this would make the book climb up the ratings then once a lot of stop reading the same books and new ones come along then these other books will be pushed out of the top 25 which we have already seen happen.

With Ben's list these seem a lot more static where there are no changes taking place, where as Antoxx list would be classed as a live one.

Darth Tater

I have a feeling that this list will evolve over time depending on what everyone is reading, for example if you have a few of us all reading the same book or series and we all give it good ratings then this would make the book climb up the ratings then once a lot of stop reading the same books and new ones come along then these other books will be pushed out of the top 25 which we have already seen happen.

With Ben's list these seem a lot more static where there are no changes taking place, where as Antoxx list would be classed as a live one.

Right, I think it will make a nice contrast. Also, there are books that are waiting in the wings with high marks that Antoxx hasn't placed on the list yet because they need a third ranker. A person who hasn't given input yet may place several books on the map when they submit their lists.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
where as Antoxx list would be classed as a live one.
Yeah i think this is a good point. It is a huge job for antoxx to keep changing his list but as Ben's is just representative of one person, antoxx is changing the list based on 10 ish (total guess) people's reading

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Come on guys 14 members...we have more members than that! Not hard to send a list of 5 or 10 books. Amazon vouchers to be won!!!!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I got to say I expected to see Bartimaeus in top 25 because of what you said @Antoxx in the amazon voucher thread

Big movers are Bartimaeus trilogy which moves into top 10 and Dagger and Coin which moves onto the list, both at the expense of Abercrombie's Heroes and BSC.

Antoxx

Although, i don't think of it as "my" list. "Our" list might be more appropriate. :cigar: