BFB Members Rankings List

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
War for the Oaks by Emma Bull - 7
What was this book like? Goodreads recommended it to me and I've been curious about it ever since.

Right, I've emailed the list but didn't have emails for @Boreas and @Darth Tater. If you PMd me and didn't received the spreadsheet give me a shout and I'll resend.
Enjoy.
I didn't receive the list. :(

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see one column doesn't have a name at the top, but scrolling down and seeing a 1 in the Wheel of Time row, I'm fairly sure who it belongs too :)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
And I'm sorry, I know it's down to personal opinion and all, but to me, seeing a score of 2.5 next to MBoTF is just wrong ! I simply can not fathom how anyone can score this series so low.

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
What was this book like? Goodreads recommended it to me and I've been curious about it ever since.
It's not bad. It's one of the pioneers of urban fantasy. Some even consider it the first urban fantasy book that started the genre. (It was published in '87)
I liked it, it's a fast read. Main character is female, and I quite liked her. This book mixes faerie world and urban Minneapolis, and I've never been in the US, but honestly I liked her descriptions of the city...it made me feel like I was there, so there's definite urban feel to this novel.
As far as the plot goes it's fairly simple, there's a war between the Seelie and Unseelie courts, and the main girl has a role to play in it.
I thought Bull described character of the fairies really good, I liked reading about different types of them.
I would recommend it for strong female character and urban setting. It isn't anything that will blow your mind with philosophy or ideas, but it's good fun. There's even romance, but it's really well done, that even me - a romance hater, really liked it.

Antoxx

No probs to all of you who I sent the list to. And while at times I've really wanted to alter some of the ratings (especially those that score mbotF and Hobb low!), I've kept them exactly as presented. Everyone is, after all, allowed their own opinion. I have, however, made a judgement call on some books that weren't fantasy novels and choosen not to include them. Apologies, if that's annoyed anyone.

Boreas

Staff member
Thanks for the list, @Antoxx. Kudos for all the work!

Also, I wanted to point out that I've read just the first book, or the first few books, of some series/trilogies. So, the rankings for these series reflect only on the initial (or, initial few) books read.

Acacia trilogy - 1st book only
Malazan series - 1st book only
Kingkiller Chronicles - 1st book only
Chalion trilogy - 1st book only
Ryhope Wood series - 1st book only
Earthsea series - 1st 3 books
Vlad Taltos series - 1st 7 books

Boreas

Staff member
And I'm sorry, I know it's down to personal opinion and all, but to me, seeing a score of 2.5 next to MBoTF is just wrong ! I simply can not fathom how anyone can score this series so low.
This reminds me of when I saw Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun ranked below Goodkind's Sword of Truth. It didn't bother me that TBotNS was ranked low - just that it was ranked below even Goodkind. Now, that was plain wrong.

Hand of Fear

Also, I wanted to point out that I've read just the first book, or the first few books, of some series/trilogies.
I'm in the same boat with some (Malazan book of The Fallen, so no Malazan bashing for me as I really like these books).

@Antoxx thank you for the spreadsheet really wish I do one like that ! Great job.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
This reminds me of when I saw Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun ranked below Goodkind's Sword of Truth. It didn't bother me that TBotNS was ranked low - just that it was ranked below even Goodkind. Now, that was plain wrong.
I don't think I ranked Wolfe (but I might be wrong, really don't remember). If I was comparing the two, I'd put Wolfe above Goodkind, though. Didn't care for Wolfe but HATED Goodkind.

Darth Tater

And while at times I've really wanted to alter some of the ratings (especially those that score mbotF and Hobb low!), I've kept them exactly as presented.

Are you SURE you didn't? On my Chronicles of Amber score I saw a "5" ( unless I'm not reading the list correctly) while I remembered giving it a "2". I then checked my old email and I was correct. :p

And just now while checking I happened to notice Covenant received no score and I had given it another winner of 4.5. :shifty:

I think there may be some creative accounting going on over there after all.:hilarious:

Antoxx

Are you SURE you didn't? On my Chronicles of Amber score I saw a "5" ( unless I'm not reading the list correctly) while I remembered giving it a "2". I then checked my old email and I was correct. :p

And just now while checking I happened to notice Covenant received no score and I had given it another winner of 4.5. :shifty:

I think there may be some creative accounting going on over there after all.:hilarious:
Happy to correct scores as their is bound to be errors. Unfortunately i do all of this on the laptop at home on a single screen which i absolutely hate. If only i had a job like @Sneaky Burrito then I could do it at work. ;)

ofer

Totally agree with you, and I didn't even read The Book of the New Sun. :)