BFB Members Rankings List

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Ok, if there is interest here, I can give Antoxx access to the new section on bestfantasybooks that lets you edit/create lists with the full layout (i.e. this layout http://bestfantasybooks.com/test/best-stand-alone-fantasy-books.php). It's mostly done and working now but should be pretty good to go in about 2 weeks.

You can then easily modify the entries, add descriptions, add series, change the order of the list, etc. Might be easier than having to manually email the list out to people -- you can just send a link and completely manage the list from the backend. I suppose it's the similar idea to the listiverse lists, except, well you have the full visual layout of the regular lists.

Up to you guys though -- whatever is easier.

Antoxx

Ok, if there is interest here, I can give Antoxx access to the new section on bestfantasybooks that lets you edit/create lists with the full layout (i.e. this layout http://bestfantasybooks.com/test/best-stand-alone-fantasy-books.php). It's mostly done and working now but should be pretty good to go in about 2 weeks.

You can then easily modify the entries, add descriptions, add series, change the order of the list, etc. Might be easier than having to manually email the list out to people -- you can just send a link and completely manage the list from the backend. I suppose it's the similar idea to the listiverse lists, except, well you have the full visual layout of the regular lists.

Up to you guys though -- whatever is easier.
With great power comes great responsibility Uncle Ben.

Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm

Lo and behold, hear, ye citizens of the Best Fantasy Books forum!!!!

Antoxx has forwarded me his mighty database that is capable of determining, beyond a shadow of doubt, which fantasy books are the most beloved among all the members of the forum.

I will try to humbly continue his grand legacy and offer to add the selections of everybody who wants to make his voice heard, to the list.

So far, the following 31 forum members have provided their input:

Antoxx
Darth Tater
Griffin Vanderschaeghe
Aikura
fbones
TomTB
Moonspawn
Danica
Hand of Fear
Sneaky B
Alucard
Joao
Haven
Sandman
Maxal
Buffy V Slayer
Nikos4
Jon Snow
Khartun
eff
Hameed
Rasheedah
Boreas
ofer
Ian Blackport
sopranosfan
Amaryllis
TC Simpson
Derk
wakarimasen
Fatal Rose

Anybody else, who is interested in providing his/her input, please write me a personal mail with an email address.

I will then mail to you an Excel list with all the books currently available for rating, and ask you to provide a rating (0.0 to 10.0) for every one that you have read (and also add new ones that should not be on the list).

If anybody would be interested in "revising" his choices that he has already provided, I will, of course, be equally happy to send his/her old ratings and put the updated version into the database.

Currently, there are 286 books/series in the list, 85 of which have received enough ratings to go into the "best books" list.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited:

Derk of Derkholm

Also, the following books / series (in alphabetic order) were added to the list quite recently:

Abarat Quintet - Clive Barker
Alex Verus series - Benedict Jacka
Artemis Fowl Series - Eoin Colfer
At the Back of the North Wind - George MacDonald
City of Dreaming Books - Walter Moers
Deverry Cycle - Katherine Kerr
Dinosaur Lords - Victor Milan
Dargar and Surplus - Michael Swanwick
Dragonlance - War of Souls Trilogy - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Dunk and Egg Series - George RR Martin
Engineer Trilogy - KJ Parker
Felix Castor series - Mike Carey
Goblin Quest Series - Jim C. Hines
Godslayer Chronicles - James Clemens
Greatcoats - Sebastien de Castell
Immortal Treacheries - Allan Batchelder
Iron Tower Saga - Denise McKiernan
King Elfhand's Daughter - Lord Dunsany
Kingdom of Thorn and Bone - Greg Keyes
London Falling - Paul Cornell
Laundry Series - Charles Stross
Lyonnese - Jack Vance
Magic Kingdom of Landover - Terry Brooks
Monster Hunter International - Larry Correia
Mortal Engines - Phillip Reeves
Night Lands - William Hope Hodgson
Night Watch Series - Sergeij Lukyanenko
Nightwise - R.S. Belcher
Princess and the Goblin - George MacDonald
Princess Series - Jim C. Hines
Riddle-Master Trilogy - Patricia A. McKillip
Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
Salem's Lot - Stephen King
Seven Waters Trilogy - Juliet Marillier
Tales of the Ketty Jay - Chris Wooding
The Chronicles of Master Li and Number 10 Ox - Barry Hughart
The Cycle of Arawn - Edward Robertson
The Iron Dragons Daughter - Michael Swanwick
The Scar - Maryna Dyachenko
The Sharing Knife - Lois McMaster Bujold
The Vault of Heaven - Peter Orullian
Throne of the Crescent Moon - Saladin Ahmed

So, if you have provided the input on the list earlier, but want to give an opinion on these newly added titles, just drop me a line!

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Yay updates! :D
I'm very glad you took this on @Derk of Derkholm.
If I may, I'll just make a suggestion. Rather than emailing the list to everyone individually and creating more work for yourself, just upload the excel sheet to any file sharing site. Anybody interested can download from there.
This one will do I think.
http://www.wikisend.com/
No registration required.

Derk of Derkholm

Thank you for your suggestion, @Alucard !

I will try that, once I am at home (file sharing is blocked in the office).

Derk of Derkholm

OK, I am still updating the database a bit, to make it more user-friendly, but will post a version of the voting sheet on a filesharing place shortly.

Best regards,
Andy

Derk of Derkholm

No, it seems he is alive and well, though likely busy with work and other unimportant things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
OK, I am still updating the database a bit, to make it more user-friendly, but will post a version of the voting sheet on a filesharing place shortly.

Best regards,
Andy
Please please please upload the list. I'm dying to fill it in.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Derk of Derkholm

Thank you, @Silvion Night !

I have added your feedback to the list.
The immediate change is that "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King now has enough votes (3) to join the ranks of the voted books.

I will publish the complete list shortly, likely in a new thread so that am able to update the ratings later.

Best regards,
Andy

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I have a copy of the old list somewhere. I will update with more recently read stuff and email it to you Andy

Once everyone has done theirs I'd love to see the final spreadsheet though. :)

Derk of Derkholm