BFB Members Rankings List

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Yeah i think this is a good point. It is a huge job for antoxx to keep changing his list but as Ben's is just representative of one person, antoxx is changing the list based on 10 ish (total guess) people's reading
15 now! Not hard to change the list but probably will only do it once a week to begin with and then only when changes occur once it becomes more settled due to more votes having been received.

moonspawn

I honestly can't say that I'm surprised by this list at all. Each of the books in that 25 list have seen a lot of praise by forum members since I've been here, and no, not even the order of the list surprises me. Based on what I've read I certainly have some disagreements with this list but there's also things I love about this list too but for now I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Antoxx

Been a pretty busy week with receiving ratings from Members' for the ratings list and as per my post last week, I've posted below some information around the ratings received.

Firstly, we've now had 18 Members contribute to the ratings list with a total of 401 ratings received. Not quite the 60,000 votes that the Top Master List has on the Listiverse, but in terms of quality, I like to think that the Members' list is of much higher calibre! The number of ratings received per Member ranges from 5 to 53 and the average is 22 series or standalones rated.

The median rating across the list is 8.0 and the average rating across the list is 7.4. Effectively most of the ratings are clustered between 6 and 10, although there is a "tail" below 6 which is why the average is lower then the median. Two thirds of the ratings received are between 7 and 9 (inclusive). Nothing too surprising there, although I think that the median score of 8 is slightly artificially high as there might be a tendency for Members to provide ratings on their more highly ranked books as opposed to all books that they've read.

When it comes to individual Members ratings, the lowest average rating supplied is 5.9 and the highest average rating 8.4. Some of us obviously rate "harder" than others, although again, this might just be a function of what books were chosen to be rated, as some Members tended to provide ratings on more highly ranked books.

Next up I'll provide some colour around the range of series/authors that are in the list.

The end of next week I'll also repost the list as there has been some changes as you'd expect with a lot of new votes coming in. Still receiving quite a few Members' ratings, so again, if you're thinking about sending them through make sure you do!

Darth Tater

Wow! I've got nothing else. Just wow!!

For me, one of the best things about this list, is that nobody will be voting more than once on a book. That simply isn't the case on the public list.

I'm eager to see the updated *Antoxx list when it comes out next week.

*Yes, Antox, we are all well aware that it is the forum members group list, but you are doing all the work compiling it after we submit our lists. So I'm just more comfortable calling it the "Antoxx list" , if it's all the same to you. The name just flows better than "forum group members list" too. :p:p:p

Antoxx

Wow! I've got nothing else. Just wow!!

For me, one of the best things about this list, is that nobody will be voting more than once on a book. That simply isn't the case on the public list.
Good point around only being able to vote once per series. Plus there are no double entries as a series consists of all books within that series.
I'm eager to see the updated *Antoxx list when it comes out next week.

*Yes, Antox, we are all well aware that it is the forum members group list, but you are doing all the work compiling it after we submit our lists. So I'm just more comfortable calling it the "Antoxx list" , if it's all the same to you. The name just flows better than "forum group members list" too. :p:p:p
I'm simply the Chronicler (ala Bloodsong, The Black Company, Kingkiller.......) and simply a passive observer. I think of The List as being Ben's list, so maybe simply Members List might be better. :D

Boreas

Staff member
I'm interested in looking at the individual lists that people contributed. Is there any chance of that? Or should we just create a new thread where people can post their personal lists?

João Ribeiro

I'm interested in looking at the individual lists that people contributed. Is there any chance of that? Or should we just create a new thread where people can post their personal lists?
I don't know if that will veer the subject away from the consolidated list. I'll gladly email you my list at least!

Boreas

Staff member
I don't know if that will veer the subject away from the consolidated list. I'll gladly email you my list at least!
Sure, I'll email you mine, too. I'm just curious about which books individuals rate most highly and the types of fantasy they like. The consolidated book list is an aggregate ranking which is useful for everyone. But the individual lists speak for personal tastes and that's what I'm curious about, especially since I'm now a little more familiar (just a teeny, tiny bit) with some of the members. That's why it might be fun to have our lists posted somewhere so we can judge each other to our heart's content - either metaphorically pat each other on the back or issue forth condemnations for preferences not in line with our own.

João Ribeiro

That's why it might be fun to have our lists posted somewhere so we can judge each other to our heart's content - either metaphorically pat each other on the back or issue forth condemnations for preferences not in line with our own.
This may be fun in its own way. :)