BFB Members Rankings List

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world
@Antoxx I've submitted more books for the list.
Not sure how valid my ratings are since I only use a 5 point scale and give 1/2 increments. Maybe we can all try to devise a generic uniform rating system for consistency???

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Antoxx I've submitted more books for the list.
Not sure how valid my ratings are since I only use a 5 point scale and give 1/2 increments. Maybe we can all try to devise a generic uniform rating system for consistency???
We have. Mark out of 10 with half marks allowed.

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
We have. Mark out of 10 with half marks allowed.
I did smile when I saw that. @Sandman feel free to "convert" your marks out of 5 to 10, else I'll just double them and stick them in the list. Thanks for sending some more through. Given I've got so many ratings in recently, I'll look to provide an updated list on Sunday. Plus @Jon Snow can determine the winner of the Amazon vouchers. Anybody else that's looking to send in your ratings, do so as quick as you can (although I'm always willing to take ratings at any point).

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Yup. Once Antoxx is done, we'll send me a list of names and I'll draw two winners (1st = $10, 2nd = $5 of Amazon $$$)

Darth Tater

What about Stephen King books? Yay or nay or (IMO) it probably depends on the subject of the book......

I submitted a few Stephen King books on my list, although I told Antoxx that I wasn't sure on a couple of them either.

The books I was certain were considered fantasy were "the Dark Tower" and "Eyes of the Dragon".

The books that I thought probably were considered fantasy were "The Stand", "The Tommyknockers" and "The Talisman".

A book that was one of my favorites ever "It" I thought might not be fantasy. ( the book wasn't stupid like the movie, IMHO).

I would suggest you submit any Stephen King book you thought might belong on the list. I know the "DarkTower" series found its way into Ben's list so I don't see any reason they shouldn't be included on our own if they make the grade.

Antoxx

Happy to be corrected here but I consider Tommyknockers to be Sci Fi and both The Stand and Talisman to be fantasy. Without doubt Dark tower and Eyes of the Dragon are fantasy. I've only included books which are fantasy in the list. Sometimes I make arbitrary calls like above and happy to be debated and proved wrong on them though.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

João Ribeiro

Is the Dark Tower good? I've read somewhere that it suffers a bit in the middle with one or two books when nothing happens but walking from A to B. I'm intrigued but I don't know if I should pick them up.

Sandman

In that case, I give the eyes of the dragon a 9. It was probably the FIRST fantasy book I read as a kid (I need to reread it) even though I did not realize it was "a fantasy book" back then (I was on a big Stephen King kick then).
The Stand = 8. I thought it tended to drag a little at parts and some of the characters didn't seem to really do much or evolve - of course it has been a long time since I read it and I read the humongous 1,500 pager.
I loved IT and give it a 9.

Haven't read the Dark Tower.

Sandman

Is the Dark Tower good? I've read somewhere that it suffers a bit in the middle with one or two books when nothing happens but walking from A to B. I'm intrigued but I don't know if I should pick them up.
I could have written this post. I have heard the same thing and feel the same way.

Boreas

Staff member
I loved IT and give it a 9.
I was reading "IT" when I was about 14/15 (usually at night before going to bed) and it scared the bejeesus outta me. I couldn't finish it (I must have read around 70%) and I used to keep imagining a clown looking into my room through the window. Any movement by the branches of the tree outside my window used to startle me for a while after that book. I think that's the only time I remember actually being scared of finishing a book.

The only other King books I've read are "Carrie", "Firestarter" and "The Gunslinger".