BFBF Fantasy Anthology

Noor Al-Shanti

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Darth Tater posted this idea elsewhere on the forum and I thought it was a cool idea so I thought I'd start a thread for it so people can discuss it and see if it flies.

I came across a book today on the Daily Deals titled “The New Voices Of Fantasy”. Which got me to thinking. I quickly thought of seven authors here just off the top my head (alphabetically: Alice, Allan, Davis, Extended, Jo, Matticus, and Taniel). I’m sure there are more that I’ve forgotten (apologies), or that I’m unaware of.

Sooooo...I’m wondering whether any of you have considered or actually discussed collaborating on a book of fantasy/SF short stories with all of the other forum members who write and supplementing it with additional authors if needed? That would be cool and you could even plug this forum in the foreward. The only drawback that I can think of is if somebody’s writing or stories were deemed substandard it would be awkward for the editor(s) to exclude. Then again, every short story collection seems to have their share of duds.

Or is that a DIDNT? (Dumb Idea Darth Nice Try).
I don't currently have a short available, but by the time it gets going I might have one in which case I'd love to participate if possible.

Thoughts?

*goes back to try and finish off that novel*

jo zebedee

Journeyed there and back again
I'd be interested but I have another one to finish first (for another forum, when we realised we had a load of women sci fi writers, so that's awesome. SFSisters!) A few questions - does it need to be original or are reprints acceptable if not available anywhere else on line, anywhere, or in print anymore? (And only read by about 20 people when it was up!) If so, I have an awesomely spooky one I'm happy to submit.

Matticus Primal

Tanniel and I are already in an anthology of sorts, along with eight other fantasy authors which are also a part of our self published guild. All have done well in Mark Lawrence's Self Published Fantasy, including two winners.

And did I mention it's free? And has a Choose Your Own Adventure Intro?

From having spearheaded it, I can say anthologies are not much fun to put together. If you want to make money from it to offset the costs, then how are the profits split up? Will the profits go to a charity like the recent Booknest The Art of War anthology? If it's free like Lost Lore, who pays for the editing, cover, and time sunk into it?

I mean, I like the idea and all, but there would need to be a slew of answers at the onset before tackling it.

jo zebedee

Tanniel and I are already in an anthology of sorts, along with eight other fantasy authors which are also a part of our self published guild. All have done well in Mark Lawrence's Self Published Fantasy, including two winners.

And did I mention it's free? And has a Choose Your Own Adventure Intro?

From having spearheaded it, I can say anthologies are not much fun to put together. If you want to make money from it to offset the costs, then how are the profits split up? Will the profits go to a charity like the recent Booknest The Art of War anthology? If it's free likeLost Lore, who pays for the editing, cover, and time sunk into it?

I mean, I like the idea and all, but there would need to be a slew of answers at the onset before tackling it.
I agree with much of this. Who will edit it? On my other anthology we have a closed group to work on peer editing, and an editor is part of the antho package so keeping us in line. Where would we source cover art and how much would it be? In principle, I think it's a great idea but it would need someone to lead it.

Peat

Beyond the travails of who's being in charge of this project and doing all the grunt work (everybody takes one step back), I think there's also the matter of whether its worth it. Who's buying anthologies with a forum's name on it? If we had to write fresh short stories, will that be worth our time? If we all stick in stuff we already have it, will it have a coherent theme that makes it interesting and readable?

It would be cool. I'm just not sure whether the cool outweighs the crap.