Book about a reincarnated soul of a powerful warrior / mage starts in a tower

Istari

Possibly a Darkfriend
The book is the story of a boy who is created by an old wizard as a reincarnated soul of a powerful warrior / magician. The reincarnation does not go as planned, so the boy has no memories and the wizard thinks he's failed, but gradually the boy recalls memories and skills.
The old wizard is overwhelmed by his enemy (who manifests as a wind that shakes the windows) and the boy sets out through woods and comes to a city where he is befriended by the ruler (the king's son who is there investigating the actual ruler - who is has twin sisters).

The boy becomes more and more "himself" and more of a "threat", but his protector looks after him, asking him the question "are you my friend?"

Eventually, after a series of events / battles etc. he recovers all his memories and powers and the book ends on a cheerful note, with him on horseback, enjoying being alive.

I can't remember any of the names, or the author. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
The book is the story of a boy who is created by an old wizard as a reincarnated soul of a powerful warrior / magician. The reincarnation does not go as planned, so the boy has no memories and the wizard thinks he's failed, but gradually the boy recalls memories and skills.
The old wizard is overwhelmed by his enemy (who manifests as a wind that shakes the windows) and the boy sets out through woods and comes to a city where he is befriended by the ruler (the king's son who is there investigating the actual ruler - who is has twin sisters).

The boy becomes more and more "himself" and more of a "threat", but his protector looks after him, asking him the question "are you my friend?"

Eventually, after a series of events / battles etc. he recovers all his memories and powers and the book ends on a cheerful note, with him on horseback, enjoying being alive.

I can't remember any of the names, or the author. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Is it Fortress in the Eye of Time by CJ Cherryh?

Istari

Possibly a Darkfriend
Is it Fortress in the Eye of Time by CJ Cherryh?
YES!
Thank you so much. I first read your reply and thought "no, that's not it" but after checking a review with synopsis and character names, it is indeed.

Once again - many thanks, and for anybody who hasn't read it, it's well worth the time.

Istari