Book deals and discounts (post here)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Thanks, Alucard. I'm not interested in the offer but I very much appreciate the thought.

I think this has become my favorite thread. :D

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Yeah, you also get a few free books on Audible when you sign up. If you want to quit, then quit before the month is up and you still get to keep the audio books

btkong

Staff member
The Swan's War series (trilogy) by Sean Russell is 0.99$ per book on amazon.
Man that's a great deal on those books. Looks like the sale has ended when I checked up on it, but The Swan's War series really have kind of a Lord of the Rings sort of vibe without being Lord of the Rings (in the sense that magic is hidden and mysterious and there is a deep world with a lot of old history and characters who venture out into the wider world). A lot of mystery and hidden magic behind the scene. It's literally a voyage down a magical river of mystery.

Sean Russell doesn't get the attention he deserves -- I'd say he's pretty similar in some ways, stylistically, to Tad Williams in that he is not afraid to take a lot of time to build up his worlds; oh, and he's a fantastic, almost lyrical writer who knows how to write beautiful prose. If you like Shadowmarch, you'll probably love The Swars War trilogy. I'm glad to see a few people here discovering Sean Russel's books.

btkong

Staff member
Yeah, you also get a few free books on Audible when you sign up. If you want to quit, then quit before the month is up and you still get to keep the audio books
Yes, if you are looking to game the Audible system a bit for 'free' audiobooks then you can sign up (you just need a credit card number) with the 2 free audiobook link to get 2 free audiobook credits. You can then download any two books with those credits (say to your android/iphone device using the audible program for those) then after you have downloaded the books, use audible's return book feature to return the 2 books and get those 2 credits back. If you downloaded the other two books fully, they will still work even though you returned them -- you just can't redownload them. Then use your 2 credits to download 2 other books into your download library.

SO at the end of the day you sign up and get 4 free books without paying anything. At that point you can continue with your membership or just cancel.

A bit cheap to do this, but it's legal and all and part of their system.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I haven't gotten into the audiobook thing. If I had a long commute, I could see it. But I drive only like 10 minutes to get to work. That would be too disjointed. (My car stereo has a USB port but I don't have a smart phone or tablet and my iPod is REALLY old, so I'm not sure I have the technological capabilities, either.)

epicfantasyfreak

Man that's a great deal on those books. Looks like the sale has ended when I checked up on it, but The Swan's War series really have kind of a Lord of the Rings sort of vibe without being Lord of the Rings (in the sense that magic is hidden and mysterious and there is a deep world with a lot of old history and characters who venture out into the wider world). A lot of mystery and hidden magic behind the scene. It's literally a voyage down a magical river of mystery.

Sean Russell doesn't get the attention he deserves -- I'd say he's pretty similar in some ways, stylistically, to Tad Williams in that he is not afraid to take a lot of time to build up his worlds; oh, and he's a fantastic, almost lyrical writer who knows how to write beautiful prose. If you like Shadowmarch, you'll probably love The Swars War trilogy. I'm glad to see a few people here discovering Sean Russel's books.
All that, and what I like most about Russell is that his works are on the realistic end of the fantasy spectrum - he tells human stories, with just a touch of the fantastical. His characters look & feel like real humans, not some "hero" or "villain" caricature, with real flaws, emotions and motivations. His plot is also at the human scale, it's not "OMFG, IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD," or "OMFG, LEVEL UP, KEWL NEW POWRZ, UBER-PWNAGE" but something that you could remove the fantasy element from and still have a plot that any person can identify with, and would work quite well right here on Earth. This is also what I liked most about Daniel Abraham's The Long Price, so if you liked that as well (and I do seem to recall someone saying just that somewhere on these boards, don't recall who or where though), Russell should be bumped up in your TBR pile.
Yes, if you are looking to game the Audible system a bit for 'free' audiobooks then you can sign up (you just need a credit card number) with the 2 free audiobook link to get 2 free audiobook credits. You can then download any two books with those credits (say to your android/iphone device using the audible program for those) then after you have downloaded the books, use audible's return book feature to return the 2 books and get those 2 credits back. If you downloaded the other two books fully, they will still work even though you returned them -- you just can't redownload them. Then use your 2 credits to download 2 other books into your download library.

SO at the end of the day you sign up and get 4 free books without paying anything. At that point you can continue with your membership or just cancel.

A bit cheap to do this, but it's legal and all and part of their system.
It might be cheap and possible, but it's also more trouble than it's worth, at least for me. I'm almost certain I won't like audiobooks, though I might get a pleasant surprise (though I suspect they're great for a commute). I'm not about to pay $20, after the $10 rebate, since most audiobooks are $30-$60, though, then have the hassle of joining up, and then having to cancel at just the right time, just for the privilege of finding out. Not gonna happen. Not to mention that listening to an audiobook would take longer than just reading it, so I got your audiobook right here, audible.com: :finger:
lol, sorry, I've been dying for an excuse to use that smiley since I saw it in the list a couple weeks ago...

sopranosfan

Not to mention that listening to an audiobook would take longer than just reading it, so I got your audiobook right here, audible.com: :finger:
lol, sorry, I've been dying for an excuse to use that smiley since I saw it in the list a couple weeks ago...
You mean the GRR Martin smiley? Me too.

Darth Tater

@epicfantasyfreak Agree on the audio book stuff.

Swans War and shadow March, were the top two on my TBR series list. Then I learned of the Swans War fire sale and that really put a smile on my face but it sounds like I will love them. I put Dresden on the list, and at the top no less because I got in on that great deal recently. So I am really excited about the next three series I will be starting very soon. I like that the Russell in Williams books are completed because i'm in limbo like everybody else on a couple.

Funny thing On the finger smiley . When I first joined the forum I thought it was a thumbs up and almost gave it to someone. That would've been an awkward start!

ofer

Gone South by Robert R. McCammon is on Kindle for 1.99$. Usualy I wouldn't mention that book as it seems to have no connection to SF or Fantasy, but I remember @wakarimasen saying in another thread that he enjoyed another one of his books, so in case you're interested, price is for the next 24 hours.

As long as I'm here, another topic - Assail by Ian Esslemont is schedualed to be released in August. There seems to be 2 versions of this book for kindle - one costs around 10$ and the other 20$, so if anyone intends to pre-order that book, make sure you don't throw an extra 10$ away. :jimlad:

affiliate link to the kindle store

Alucard

Staff member
Looks like the sale has ended when I checked up on it, but The Swan's War series
Just checked it myself and it's still 0.99$.
I'm guessing you don't have USA set in your settings.
You can go to amazon.com > Your Account > Manage Your Content and Devices (in Digital Management) > Settings > Country Settings > change to United States.

Get the The Swan's War for 0.99$ and then you can change it back to Australia......or New Zealand? or Canada? I have no idea where you're from lol
Or you can just keep it. Americans get the best deals anyway :D

ofer

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is 3.99$ at amazon
(affiliate link to the kindle store)
I swear sometimes I think that Amazon picks its discounts according to what books I bought in the last 2 years.
For those of you who haven't read it, it's one cool book. Don't expect anything groundbreaking or sophisticated but if you're in the mood for a light, fun, simple read with a lot of 1980's references, you can't go wrong with this one. One of the most fun reads of the last years.

Alucard

Staff member
I swear sometimes I think that Amazon picks its discounts according to what books I bought in the last 2 years.
For those of you who haven't read it, it's one cool book. Don't expect anything groundbreaking or sophisticated but if you're in the mood for a light, fun, simple read with a lot of 1980's references, you can't go wrong with this one. One of the most fun reads of the last years.
I heard the same things you said, and I'm bit worried I might not get it. I was born in the 80s, but I think I was to young to remember the references, so I'm not sure how much sense would it make for me.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
You can go to amazon.com > Your Account > Manage Your Content and Devices (in Digital Management) > Settings > Country Settings > change to United States.
It's how I can download apps from the Amazon store as well.

Alucard

Staff member
It's how I can download apps from the Amazon store as well.
If there's a hole in the system...ya know...you can use it or not. It's up to the individual.

Anyway, I just saw amazon starting a program called Kindle Unlimited, where you get in their words: "unlimited access to over 600,000 titles and thousands of audiobooks on any device for just $9.99 a month."

First month is free, so maybe I'll try it. More here: Kindle Unlimited

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
If there's a hole in the system...ya know...you can use it or not. It's up to the individual.

Anyway, I just saw amazon starting a program called Kindle Unlimited, where you get in their words: "unlimited access to over 600,000 titles and thousands of audiobooks on any device for just $9.99 a month."

First month is free, so maybe I'll try it. More here: Kindle Unlimited
People on Ammy forums are waiting to see if the selection is better than the Kindle Owners' Lending Library you get through Prime (which is mostly self-published stuff). But it's easy to cancel stuff like that from Ammy by going into your account settings, as long as you remember to do it in time.