Book deals and discounts (post here)

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
I heard the same things you said, and I'm bit worried I might not get it. I was born in the 80s, but I think I was to young to remember the references, so I'm not sure how much sense would it make for me.
It's nice to get the references but it's not essential. Kind of like that beer thread they got going in the Anything forum - I can't understand half the things they say there about producing beer and launching your own brewery but I can still enjoy a good one.

For example, although I grew up in the 80's I almost didn't play any videogames until the 90's (for me there's ancient history, then Doom and Doom2, and then everything else) so I didn't get any of the videogames references in the book and I still thought it was fun.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
People on Ammy forums are waiting to see if the selection is better than the Kindle Owners' Lending library you get through Prime (which is mostly self-published stuff). But it's easy to cancel stuff like that from Ammy by going into your account settings, as long as you remember to do it in time.
I see. If I'm not mistaken, Prime membership gives you one book per month, right? This gives unlimited number of books, basically as much as you can read in a month.
Also, prime for international members is not something we get as we have no use for it. This new thing might be tempting, especially to people who don't have access to Overdrive and ebooks lending from public libraries.

Alucard

Staff member
It's nice to get the references but it's not essential. Kind of like that beer thread they got going in the Anything forum - I can't understand half the things they say there about producing beer and launching your own brewery but I can still enjoy a good one.
For example, although I grew up in the 80's I almost didn't play any videogames until the 90's (for me there's ancient history, then Doom and Doom2, and then everything else) so I didn't get any of the videogames references in the book and I still thought it was fun.
Cool, I'm sure @Bierschneeman is proud right now of making that thread :D
Thanks for the heads up!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I see. If I'm not mistaken, Prime membership gives you one book per month, right? This gives unlimited number of books, basically as much as you can read in a month.
Also, prime for international members is not something we get as we have no use for it. This new thing might be tempting, especially to people who don't have access to Overdrive and ebooks lending from public libraries.
Prime gives you one book per month, but it's a limited selection (even if you don't use the shipping benefits, there's also a lot of streaming of music, movies, and TV shows). This program seems like it would be a greater selection of books -- it would have to be or no one in the US would go for it.

Alucard

Staff member
This program seems like it would be a greater selection of books- it would have to be or no one in the US would go for it.
So is there a buzz with US members over at amazon? I mean are people excited or are they indifferent about it?

Darth Tater

If there's a hole in the system...ya know...you can use it or not. It's up to the individual.

Anyway, I just saw amazon starting a program called Kindle Unlimited, where you get in their words: "unlimited access to over 600,000 titles and thousands of audiobooks on any device for just $9.99 a month."

First month is free, so maybe I'll try it. More here: Kindle Unlimited

@Alucard Is that the amount their library has with the Prime? If so there are the classics (which they already have free anyhow and the rest of the stuff is like "A summer romance with a viking warrior, 1001 ways to cook broccoli at night and Karl Marx's (fill in the blank) doctrine. I'm not exaggerating in the least bit. Really. My wife insisted on getting a "Prime" membership despite my urgings not to get it. We both own kindles so we didn't use the free speedy delivery for much, I never found a single title and Amazon counts on you absent forgetting the non refundable 30 day mark which of course she forgot ( like Amazon counts on happening) even though I reminded her twice. It sounds like another scheme to me but I just don't want you to lose your money if it is. Please proceed with caution.

Ok I just now saw sneakys post but still..,the books I listed are in the prime lending library. There is nothing there.

Last edited:

sopranosfan

@Alucard Is that the amount their library has with the Prime? If so there are the classics (which they already have free anyhow and the rest of the stuff is like "A summer romance with a viking warrior, 1001 ways to cook broccoli at night and Karl Marx's (fill in the blank) doctrine. I'm not exaggerating in the least bit. Really. My wife insisted on getting a "Prime" membership despite my urgings not to get it. We both own kindles so we didn't use the free speedy delivery for much, I never found a single title and Amazon counts on you absent forgetting the non refundable 30 day mark which of course she forgot ( like Amazon counts on happening) even though I reminded her twice. It sounds like another scheme to me but I just don't want you to lose your money if it is. Proceed with caution.
Not sure about value overseas but I love my Amazon Prime. 2 day shipping and Prime streaming are worth it for me. Also can I get a link to a 1001 ways to cook brocolli at night?

Last edited:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
@Alucard Is that the amount their library has with the Prime? If so there are the classics (which they already have free anyhow and the rest of the stuff is like "A summer romance with a viking warrior, 1001 ways to cook broccoli at night and Karl Marx's (fill in the blank) doctrine. I'm not exaggerating in the least bit. Really. My wife insisted on getting a "Prime" membership despite my urgings not to get it. We both own kindles so we didn't use the free speedy delivery for much, I never found a single title and Amazon counts on you absent forgetting the non refundable 30 day mark which of course she forgot ( like Amazon counts on happening) even though I reminded her twice. It sounds like another scheme to me but I just don't want you to lose your money if it is. Please proceed with caution.

Ok I just now saw sneakys post but still..,the books I listed are in the prime lending library. There is nothing there.
Prime is so worth it for me. But not because of the lending library. Because of the 2-day shipping. When they screw up and I don't get something in 2 days, they either refund it (and it shows up on day 3 anyway) or send it out again (in which case I have 2 of the things I ordered). Since I mostly buy cat food, I will use the extra eventually. I've gotten more than $100 in free product and refunds this year, which more than makes up for the cost of Prime...

As for what Ammy forums are saying about the new program, most are taking a "wait and see" approach before committing. Some are signing up intending to try the first month and then decide.

Alucard

Staff member
It sounds like another scheme to me but I just don't want you to lose your money if it is. Please proceed with caution.
Awww, aren't you a sweetheart. :oops::playful::cat:Don't worry about me. I get most of my money spent on kobobooks anyway, because they have these coupons every month, and I end up spending 1-2 $ per book, sometimes less on bestsellers in fantasy. Unlike Tom, I am a computer guy girl so I dig all that DRM and Calibre stuff to get epubs on my kindle (lol I have to tease him a bit :D). I rarely buy on amazon, only in the case of 0.99$ like we had with Swan's War series.
Otherwise if the book is for example 5$ on both ammy and kobo, I go with kobo and 75% off coupon. ;)

I've gotten more than $100 in free product and refunds this year, which more than makes up for the cost of Prime...
The kitties must have appreciated that :eek:

Darth Tater

Not sure about value overseas but I love my Amazon Prime. 2 day shipping and Prime are worth it for me. Also can I get a link to a 1001 ways to cook brocolli at night?

Wellll, Ok. Maybe I DID exaggerate slightly on ways to cook it (by 991 if you want to be technical) but you know, poetic license and all that applies here, right? Especially since I hate broccoli no matter how it is cooked.:D

http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/10982-best-ways-to-cook-broccoli.html

btkong

Staff member
I looked at the selection of Kindle Unlimited and it's pretty crappy, in the fantasy genre anyways. Mostly self published stuff, but certainly nothing standout that I saw on a glance. I also wonder, how can authors make any money here. I get it when an ebook is discounted to say 2 bucks and maybe the author makes .25, .50 or 1 buck off that. But unlimited, I'm curious. Maybe they get a percentage of a person's total reads per month if their book is downloaded. Like say I read 10 books in a month. Then perhaps each author will get 1/10 of the 60% or whatever cut Amazon offers.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I looked at the selection of Kindle Unlimited and it's pretty crappy, in the fantasy genre anyways. Mostly self published stuff, but certainly nothing standout that I saw on a glance. I also wonder, how can authors make any money here. I get it when an ebook is discounted to say 2 bucks and maybe the author makes .25, .50 or 1 buck off that. But unlimited, I'm curious. Maybe they get a percentage of a person's total reads per month if their book is downloaded. Like say I read 10 books in a month. Then perhaps each author will get 1/10 of the 60% or whatever cut Amazon offers.
I just had a look and I agree. I hadn't heard of any of the authors on the first page of "epic fantasy" listings except for Tolkien. The really popular stuff they have (Harry Potter, Hunger Games), I've already read anyway. Can't sort by ratings to get any useful information because of all the fake 5-star reviews of self-published books. I hate that you can't tell unless you dig that something is self-published. I consider it a waste of my time for them to make me go seeking that information. So I'm going to stick to things I see recommended here and buy them as used paperbacks or wait for Kindle specials or whatever.

epicfantasyfreak

Sounds like a way for Amazon to boost the sales of their Createspace (self-published) books to me, just based on what I've read here. And the fact that Amazon doesn't tell you that a book comes from their createspace "labs" is quite infuriating - you should organize a riot about that on the Amazon forums, Sneaky.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Sounds like a way for Amazon to boost the sales of their Createspace (self-published) books to me, just based on what I've read here. And the fact that Amazon doesn't tell you that a book comes from their createspace "labs" is quite infuriating - you should organize a riot about that on the Amazon forums, Sneaky.
Well, I usually stay out of the forums there. Because people see you in the forums, click on your profile, and start downvoting your reviews like mad. The only way to tell if something is CreateSpace (or Amazon Digital Services) is clicking on the book and scrolling way down to see the publisher.

Anyway, people have different opinions on whether to read self-published fiction. Some like it, some don't. Some read it but treat it differently than traditionally-published books. But I think it should be easy for customers to tell the difference and, right now, it's not.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I assume it would something like Spotify where you listening to a song and the artist gets paid a small amount. Your last sentence probably reflects that.

I'm sure with a lot of subscribers it will be like gym memberships where people have it but don't read enough etc. or forget to

kenubrion

Ben, here's how it works:

Self-published authors will be paid out of the Lending Library funds, which Amazon has increased this month. It usually comes out to around $2 per "borrow." That's half what they would make on a $5.99 ebook, but a lot more than they would make on a 99 cent short story.

The titles from major publishers and Amazon's own imprints will be paid the same as a full sale.

The $9.99 monthly fee will cover some of these costs; the rest will be covered from Amazon's pockets.

Alucard

Staff member
This one is for all you Malazan fans.
Hawkwood and the Kings: The Collected Monarchies of God (Volume One) by Paul Kearney
This omnibus ebook contains the first two novels in the Monarchies of God series - 'Hawkwood's Voyage' and 'The Heretic Kings'.

"Simply the best fantasy series I've read in years and years." – Steven Erikson, author of The Malazan Book of the Fallen
:wideyed:

$5.38; that's 2.69$ per book. Not bad.
affiliate link to the kindle store