Book Fair Ideas?

Jonathan Bowerman

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
Hello, all!

I will be attending a few book fairs over the next couple of months. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or ideas/tips they would be willing to share. Promotional ideas, table setup ideas, etc, etc?

I have a lot of stuff in the works but like to reach out to those who maybe would be attending these fairs for any ideas that may "catch the eye" so to speak.

Thanks in advance!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Just an FYI, I put this in the Fantasy Authors section (under "marketing strategies"). I am hoping that will make it easier to find for other authors who might be interested (I think some people don't read all the threads here, or look at all the sections of the forums).

jo zebedee

Journeyed there and back again
Have a quick pitch line ready and smooth.
If you can have something to identify you as the author
Chat about things other than your book
Don't despair if the morning is quiet - most discretionary purchases happen after people have bought what they came for
Bring business cards or bookmarks with book links on it

Jonathan Bowerman

Just an FYI, I put this in the Fantasy Authors section (under "marketing strategies"). I am hoping that will make it easier to find for other authors who might be interested (I think some people don't read all the threads here, or look at all the sections of the forums).
Thank you, Burrito! Sorry, I too haven't necessarily seen all the thread sections so not completely sure of exactly where to put certain threads.
I have never done this, so I can't offer any advice, just wanted to wish you good luck.
Thanks, Tanniel! This will be my first fairs as well. Supposed to be A LOT of people there so I'm excited but I'm also super nervous. LOL
Don't despair if the morning is quiet - most discretionary purchases happen after people have bought what they came for
Great suggestions, Zebedee. I have a running list of promotional items I plan on purchasing and having on display from what you recommended (business cards and bookmarks) to stickers, pamphlets/brochures, and possibly buttons.

Jonathan Bowerman

Oh, and yes, I need to work on my pitches. I read in an article that recommended to have a 10 second pitch (for passerbys), a 30 second pitch (for ones that stayed after your 10 second pitch), and a 1-2 minute pitch (for those who are VERY interested in your book). Thanks, again. :)