book review of Monarchies of God.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
Enter the web address that I'm using as my signature into the address bar and it should take you right to my Monarchies of God series review. I said I was going to review it.... so might as well mention it if anybody is interested. I'd also like suggestions on way I could improve the design of my blog. Not real savvy with computer stuff.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I'm probably not one to comment on blog design. Mine is similar. (The only difference is I have Google ads and also I took my own background photo.)

Play around with some of Blogger's gadgets and placement of page elements. You probably want stuff like the +1 button and a search box where it's easier to see. (I've gotten a total of exactly ONE +1 , ever, I think from Bradley P. Beaulieu after I gave his first book a good review.) There's lots of stuff there, I don't think I've even scratched the surface and I've been using Blogger for a couple of years now.

Oh yeah, and don't click the links in your Blogger stats from all the spam bots...you don't really have a lot of readers from Russia, Romania, and the Ukraine. :)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I don't understand that last sentence.
One thing I have learned by participating in some group blogs is there are half a dozen ways to do/get to everything in Blogger. Depending on the way you come in, you may see different screens. If you haven't been at it long, you may not have noticed all the features yet.

So anyway, if you go into Blogger (www.blogger.com/home), you'll see a list of blogs you are involved with. Click on the name of the blog you're interested in. (If you only have one, it's a short list.) That'll take you to an overview page. You'll see a graph of your visitors over time, some news from Blogger at the bottom, and a list of options down the left. One of them has a little pie chart icon and it says "Stats." Click on that one. That'll take you to a stats overview page where you see a bar graph broken down into smaller units of time, a chart of pageviews (numbers only), posts with the most pageviews for a given time (you can select now, daily, weekly, monthly, or all time in the top right of this screen), traffic sources, and audience. Audience here is a map of the world with countries where you've gotten pageviews from in different shades of green (darker green means more hits from that country). Most of these elements have a "more >>" next to them and you can click on that to expand what's shown (down to what are the most common browsers and OSs people use to access your blog).

Russia is nearly always green for all of the blogs I've had in that "audience" section. In fact, if you click "more >>" next to "audience," my top four countries are US, Russia, Latvia, and the Ukraine. Do I think I have a bunch of visitors from Russia, Latvia, and the Ukraine? No. And neither does anyone else.

On the "traffic sources" page, you also see referring sites. A lot of these aren't legit. Don't click on them. How to tell? Anything that has a URL about referrals, or a shortened URL like from adf.ly, or vampirestat.com, domar.ru, or any other site that appears to refer lots of hits to a new blog is probably fake. It might be just trying to get clicks and ad revenue, it might try to install malware, or there might be some other purpose that I really don't understand. If you want to know more, go back to www.blogger.com/home, scroll down to the bottom, type "referrer" spam, and read about it.

This appears to happen to nearly everyone, and there's nothing you can do about it except stop clicking and hopefully everyone else will do the same on their own blogs, and these sites will go away (only for new ones to spring up in their place).

This is also a useful link for information on the same thing I just tried to explain:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!category-topic/blogger/RrxXxyoSdvU

Hope that makes more sense now.

moonspawn

Thanks Sneaky. That help's a lot. I am very suspicious of the traffic sources and would never click on vampirestat.com. Very rarely do I pay attention to any advertising and I strongly encourage others to do the same.

moonspawn

Here's a little update: I have 63 page views from the united states, 18 from the Netherlands, 12 from Russia, 4 from Germany, 2 from Singapore, and 1 from a bunch of other countries. Don't have any page views from Ukraine yet. :)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Here's a little update: I have 63 page views from the united states, 18 from the Netherlands, 12 from Russia, 4 from Germany, 2 from Singapore, and 1 from a bunch of other countries. Don't have any page views from Ukraine yet. :)
Well, you will. Give it time. (I think 2 of the US views are from me.)

I used to be quite into trying to increasing page views and stuff. That was back before I had a job, and I had a lot more time on my hands. Start poking around on the web or on Blogger Help and you will learn about many more tools that are available.