Book to movie/series adaptation wish list

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by ReguIa, Jan 24, 2017.

1. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

I thought this could be a fun topic to discuss. Any book favorites of yours that you wish were given the Lord of the Rings treatment? Or like Game of Thrones? After all not everything would require 6+ seasons with around 10 hours of material in each to tell it's story. And of course shorter works that don't have the filler to make a TV series and would be better as a movie/movie series.

Then just because something would fit better as a TV show maybe it wouldn't work anyway. Some stories might need the visuals and effects that wouldn't work on such a small budget.

What do you most want to see, and how could it be done? Director and writers also matter immensely, as well as network or studio.

I doubt the Lord of the Rings would have been as great if Michael Bay had directed it. Or imagine Game of Thrones on the CW.. :nailbiting:

So of course what I'd like to see is the Dresden Files as a TV series. It could be fcking spectacular and I think would be real popular if done right.

How and where? Preferably on a network like HBO, AMC, Starz perhaps? 10 episodes per season and they could fit in 2 of the books, maybe more who knows. The stories are fast paced, action packed, incredibly funny as well. Episodic stories that would get resolved quickly enough that viewers wouldn't get bored, while at the same time playing the long game with huge interconnected plots and recurring characters. With 15 books out they would always know where it's all going and could do amazing foreshadowing.

Instead what we get is cheap tries at Shannara, Shadowhunters, Eragon, The Golden Compass and so many others. Firstly, what they pick is not even close to some of the really good stuff out there (The Golden Compass being an exception), secondly they don't even fcking try to make it good, they have to do it half assed so it ends up sucking. Of course it doesn't perform well then..

Seriously while working on Eragon who thought it was a good idea to have the newly hatched Saphira magically transform into a full grown dragon in under 5 seconds during her first flight!

I mean I know Inheritance isn't written very well but it was my childhood dammit.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Bartimaeus series by Jonathan Stroud. BBC production. I would love that.

A proper Witcher adaptation would be awesome, but western production would probably miss the tone and atmosphere and opt out for shit ton of special effects. Still, I keep hope for the Polish, since Witcher has become such a national treasure.
    I'm sure they can do it, with proper budget. Young Polish directors have been making these short movies under the theme of Polish Legends, and they are charming.
    Subtitles available.

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.
    Just because it has such an imaginative world and characters. But in all honesty I would prefer a video game adaptation of the novel, than a movie or a series. I think in this video game designers could have a field day with art and aesthetics, and they would probably do a better job at storytelling.
    I mean look at this concept art:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

First Law by Joe Abercrombie
    HBO production with British actors (in majority). Oh boy, I would love this more than GoT.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  3. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresden_Files_(TV_series)

Didn't do so well. (I haven't seen any of the episodes.) Apparently it is available on DVD if you want to check it out.

4. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Hmm... I think it's all about who produces, who directs.

Because we are talking moorcock on another thread I'll focus on that.
    ELRIC saga given the full LOTR treatment as if LOTR didn't happen. Money, gear, producer, length, technology, and costume design.

Swords trilogy. David Cronenberg bringing his monster madness to this horrific vivid terror of chaos. Make it a single movie. Or first book first movie, both sequels squeezed into second movie

I'd like to Aronofsky do one of the more reality bending Phillip k dick books.

Give me more discworld movies please.

Ridley Scott doing moorcock Kane of old Mars would be great. Again either a single or a twofer.

5. Bierschneeman

@Alucard
    Oooooo.....first law. He'll yeah.. GoT style

6. Bierschneeman

Long Earth.

Either give me jjabrams or give it the hitchhikers guide treatment

7. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Oh, I would love that as well.

I'd really like to see Malazan. It would be ridiculously difficult to make for Movies. Maybe anime.

I'd also like to see Marko Kloos Frontlines series.

8. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Yeah Malazan is close to impossible. I think anime aesthetic doesn't really work for Malazan, which is too dark and deep for it imo.

I see some others on GR reading this. Is this an action SF?

9. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Yes, military based SF. Reminds me of the Starship Troopers movie. It's one of the better series that I've been reading.

10. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I second @Alucard's suggestion: First Law depicted in either feauture films or a GOT style series would be awesome.

And like @Bierschneeman said, it'd be cool to have more Discworld films. But done better than the existing movies. Monthy Pitonesque.

And how cool would it be to have some of GGK's novels made into feature films? Imagine Tigana as a 3 hour long epic. Think along the line of Braveheart or Gladiator. How awesome would that be?

11. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Well I'd not mind seeing that book Incarnate made into a film. Shame the author is a complete DICK, though.

Serious time: First Law would translate well to screen, as would Mistborn. Both are short and straightforward enough to make into a trilogy each.

Malazan wouldn't work. You could break it up into a series of video games, sure (see Valkyria Chronicles, with the combination of a visual novel with strategic, squad based combat), but it's too big and sprawling to put on telly. As an anime, maybe, but you'd need it to be at least as long as something like Bleach or Naruto to get the full story out of it.

12. GreyMouser

GreyMouser Journeyed there and back again

It's been a very long time since I've read them but I believe The Black Company Books of the North and South would make a good HBO type series.

13. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I'm an incredible grump who really doesn't care too much for the big screen adapting books buuuuuutt...

I think a lot of David Gemmell's books would fare quite well as movies.

Abercrombie likewise to be fair.

14. Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I'd love to see a good adaptation of A Wizard of Earthsea. Or Lud-in-the-Mist, by Hope Mirrlees. (I can't think of any place they could insert gratuitous and unnecessary battle scenes in that one!) On the other hand, for swashbuckling, The Cardinal's Blades, by Pierre Pevel. The Riddlemaster of Hed, by Patricia McKillip, although much of the pleasure of that one is in the beautiful prose, I'd love to see the story and characters come to life.

Actually almost any favorite book, if they didn't make a travesty of it, which most of the time they do.

15. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

The bar has been raised so high by Peter Jackson. I can't think of anything else that needs to be filmed. Like most of us, I yearned for but never thought I would ever see a GOOD movie version of The Hobbit and LOTR, much less a series of cinematic masterpieces.

16. afa

afa Journeyed there and back again

True. Having said that, I'm not sure how much I blame Hollywood for how terrible (to us) their adaptations are.

We readers tend to forget sometimes that the things we love about books aren't necessarily the things people love about movies. You can't have the equivalent of a page-long exposition or inner dialogue in a movie. It might work in a book, and add some color and insight to a scene/character, but there is no way to make it work in live-action. Movie adaptations aren't just made to appeal to the core existing fans, but also have to appeal to the masses, who have no association with the source material.

Of course, there are also times when it seems Hollywood changes things for the hell of it. I remember reading Michael Crichton's Sphere many years ago, and loving it. Then I saw the movie (starring Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone and Samuel L. Jackson) at a friend's place, and absolutely hating it. It was terrible. There doesn't seem to be any good reason why the book couldn't have been translated the way it was, without the various changes. But then, I was the only one in the room who didn't like it. My friends thought it was a decent enough movie; so maybe it was just my bias talking.

As for the topic at hand - I second suggestions for a First Law adaptation. Though I don't think it needs to be a GoT-style HBO show. Abercrombie's trilogy was straight-forward (and short) enough that it could be done well as a movie trilogy.

Another suggestion, and this might actually happen in the coming years, is Mistborn. Sanderson's trilogy seems perfectly suited to a movie adaptation, with the trailing mist-cloaks and steel-pushing Mistborns whizzing around through the skies.

17. Bierschneeman

I thought the Rankin bass version of the hobbit was quite good. It got me into fantasy in the first place ( I wore out that VHS)

I really like the new hobbit too, but mostly was disappointed. It was filled with scenes where the video game wrote the movie, it left out the amazing misty mountain song from the commercial for the yawn worthy version they left in. Frankly they over reached. They turned a clearly 2 movie plot and stretched out a third.
    Ohh and most damming of all, they made sure to include the worst character of all, ( but seems to be a fan favorite )

Rankin bass8.5/10
    PJ 7/10

LOTR
    Ralph bakshi part one (6/10
    ( the Rankin bass return of the king needs no repeating, part two 1/10)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  18. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

o_O

19. Bierschneeman

Are you addressing my right brain or my left brain, because they can't agree.

20. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

way cool man, you da boss