Book Tournament - Quarter Finals

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
1) Voting is via PM to me.
2) You only get to vote for one book per bracket, ONCE
3) In an event of a tie, Btkong and I will discuss which one will go through
4) The tournament is a knock out, but there will be a 3rd/4th playoff
5) Besides the Top 16 seeds, all entries will be drawn randomly on where they will be in the draw.
6) You can vote for a book even if you haven't read it or heard of it before
7) Each Round of voting will last for ~3 days (excluding weekends).
8) This round (round 2) will end Friday 3rd of July 10.00pm Western Time.

First off here are your Top 8

Text Version
A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
Malazan Series - Steven Erikson
-
Harry Potter - JK Rowling
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
-
The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
Chronicles of the Black Company - Glen Cook
-
The First Law - Joe Abercrombie
The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan

A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire)
There aren't many people who don't know A Game of Thrones. Fantasy probably hasn't had such a big impact since Lord of the Rings. It hasn't added anything new to fantasy in terms of originality of magic or characters, but what it does add is complexity and multi-layered characters and storylines. People love A Song of Ice and Fire because there are so many characters to like, the chapters leave you on the edge of your seat and you cannot put it down. Many who have started the series late have had the joy of reading all 4 books in one go. Yet the complexity has meant that the characters get less "screen time" and also means a lot more explaining. This has driven some people (not many) to dislike Martin because they can't keep up with the story, they don't get enough of the characters they like and get too much of the characters they dislike.
Malazan Series - Steven Erikson
If A Song of Ice and Fire is complex then this one is mind boogling. Perhaps my most feared series to start because of the depth of the world and magic. Yet there are many readers out there now that love it. The world is so successful that co-creator Ian Esslemont has started to write books in the world. He has 2 to Erikson's 8. The series is on practically every well known fantasy websites top list and the series is still going strong. However is all this success enough to topple a book and series that has reached fanatical following?
-
Harry Potter - JK Rowling
The series has made JK Rowling the richest woman in Britain and changed the way books can be marketed to children. It starts off very much for the younger audience but as the series progress, so does the length of the book and the 'darkness' of the book. By the end of it, it really had stopped being a children's book. The movies are all box office hits during the holiday season and there isn't a child between 7 and 15 doesn't know Harry Potter. There have been many questions about Rowling and her ability to write anything else because it seems a lot of the ideas that she came up with were stolen from other books. Does she really need to write another book outside of HP?
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
Another author that could compete with A Game of Thrones with its cult following. Patrick Rothfuss has really been successful and does something really different from GRRM; he writes in the 1st person. What this really does is allows the reader to get to know the main character and also love him. Yet this is another one of those books/series that looks like it will be a long one and because of that, The Name of the Wind suffers from "300 pages of nothing". Many readers who have critiqued the book have said that it takes too long to get into the book and because of that has lost a lot of readers.
-
The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch (The Gentlemen Bastards)
As a series, The Gentlemen Bastards are decent reads. As a book, The Lies of Locke Lamora is simply amazing. Lynch has amalgamated mystery and fantasy together in the perfect blend. There is so much we want to know after every chapter. There is always action. There is tragedy. There are unknowns. Plus, who doesn't like Orphan boy stories?
Chronicles of the Black Company - Glen Cook
I don't know enough about this series to give it the props it deserves. Btkong loves the series. You guys obviously love the series because you voted for it. Will it beat LOLL? I can't see it doing it.
-
The First Law - Joe Abercrombie
I loved the series after the first few pages. Abercrombie takes the traditional and twists it around. A bald and stout mage. A crippled torturer. A smug officer who hasn't fought in a real battle before and a Barbarian who is trying to deny his roots. However, Abercrombie writes with a lot of humour and has his trademark phrases and monologues. His writing is very distinctive and because of this has given him a big following. His new book 'Best Served Cold' has had nothing but positive reviews so far.
The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
Before Harry Potter, this series is perhaps the most well known series (yes, more so than Thrones). Jordan has left a huge legacy in fantasy and love him or hate him (much like tolkien) you have to give Jordan props for giving something to the fantasy world. His series will soon be reignited by Branden Sanderson.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Sorry for the weak write up. Not at home (won't be for 3 day) and wrote this at an internet cafe.

Keep your votes coming via PM and I'll try and be online everyday just to answer questions/read comments etc.

Cheers!

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
In the text version, Black Company is up against Lies, but in the bracket, His Dark Materials is there. No slipping in your dark horse, Jon!! :lol:

I personally think that Malazan and Thrones should be in the final, but thats just me.
Oh and am91962: YOU MUST READ MALAZAN NOW! ;)

Forget WOT. The first 6 books are good, but after that they blow. They are worth reading, but not before Malazan.

Jon Snow

Staff member
l3gacy said:
In the text version, Black Company is up against Lies, but in the bracket, His Dark Materials is there. No slipping in your dark horse, Jon!! :lol:
What?!?!? =P

My subconscience but have been like NOOOOOOOO!!!

If black company can make it this far I guess I'll have to read it (read the others), didn't like the first chapter since it was to dark for my tastes. Been doing other things since then as well, not many books...

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
It just gets darker from there, Soss... dark gritty books may not be your taste, which is okay. I read the first book last summer and I had never read anything like it, which is why I like it and keep voting for it.

Saying that, I voted for Lies to win :lol:

Jon Snow

Staff member
Voting is closed. only a disappointing 9 people voted this round? Wtf is up with that?

results before tomorrow morning