Bookclub Nominations (2015)

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Alright it is bookclub thoughts time guys!

Any and All thoughts are welcome

alright here are our suggestions. any and all of them (even the damn dinosaur lords). We will do a vote for the month ahead. So we will do two this month, for feb and march so people know what is coming up and it won't decide them all at the start like we did last year, which didn't work. Also, older books didn't work so well last year, so I don't suggest those.

February:
1. Half the World (#2)- Joe Abercrombie (It's amazing, I'm not going to link anything, i've read so just trust me)
2. The Autumn Republic (#3) - Brian McClellan
3. The City Stained Red (#1)- Same Sykes (It is a continuation of a series. be warned you could love his writing and be bummed you don't get to be surprised if you go back and read the previous work. Or it could be a good way to start with a new author and their work. FantasyFaction had it on their best of 2014)
4. Those Above (#1)- Daniel Polansky

March:
1. The Skull Throne (#4) - Peter V. Brett

April:
I understand guys/ It's my birthday month and you want to save the price of a bookclub book up to send me as an amazon gift voucher, but you guys! you dont have to!

May:
1. Sword of the North (#2) - Luke Scull (this looks interesting! I might give the first one a try)

June:
1. Half a War - Joe Abercrombie (it's going to be badass, don't even try to deny it)
2. The Liar's Key (#2) - Mark Lawrence (I haven't read number one and don't know if I will get to it. I didn't love his first trilogy that much that i'm desperate to read everything he writes)

July:
1. Dinosaur Lords - Victor Milan (i can't believe I am even linking to this)
2. Queen of Fire (#3)- Anthony Ryan (i can't beleive i'm not more pumped for this to be out)
3. The Price of Valor (#3) - Django Wexler
4. Time Salvager - Wesley Chu
5. Armada - Ernest Cline (this isn't my thing, but that's what bookclubs can be for, to try new things!)

August:
1. The Spider's War (#5)- Daniel Abraham (HAHAH i haven't even read the first one)
2. The Fifth Season (#1) - N.K. Jemisin (i don't like this ladies books much, but that's just me!)

September:
1. The Thorn of Emberlain (#3) - Scott Lynch (we know this one!)
2. The Traitor Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson (this sounds pretty awseome!)

October:
1. The Dread Wyrm (#3) -Miles Cameron (by fat no from me but some here love the first book as much as I hated it)
2. The Stars Askew (#2) - Rjurik Davidson

November:
1. Shadows of Self (Mistborn #5)- Brandon Sanderson

December:
It's christmas time!

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dinosaur Lords. I'm secretly hoping it will be a game changer in fantasy literature! Maybe.

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
Seconded!

Suggestions for
- February: Half the World - Joe Abercrombie/The Autumn Republic - Brian McClellan
- March: The Skull Throne - Peter V. Brett
- April:
- May: Sword of the North - Luke Scull
- June: Half a War - Joe Abercrombie/The Liar's Key - Mark Lawrence
- July: Dinosaur Lords - Victor Milan/Queen of Fire - Anthony Ryan/The Price of Valor - Django Wexler
- August: The Spider's War - Daniel Abraham/The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin
- September:
- October:
- November: Shadows of Self - Brandon Sanderson
- December:

I limited myself to new releases in the section above. Other books I would like a book club about are Range of Ghosts - Elisabeth Bear, Blackdog - K.V. Johansen, The Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski, Scourge of the Betrayer - Jeff Salyards, Retribution Falls - Chris Wooding, The Goblin Emperor - Katherine Addison.

Last edited:

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Oh those are so many thoughts! I agree with Feb up to June. The rest I don't even know whose books they are!

João Ribeiro

- February: Half the World - Joe Abercrombie/The Autumn Republic - Brian McClellan
- March: The Skull Throne - Peter V. Brett
- June: Half a War - Joe Abercrombie/The Liar's Key - Mark Lawrence
- July: Dinosaur Lords - Victor Milan
- November: Shadows of Self - Brandon Sanderson
Second these

By the way I have no clue about Dinosaur Lords but it has such a kick butt name I had to second it!

The Grace of Kings (The Dandelion Dynasty #1) by Ken Liu for April.
Also this.

2015 is the year of the Dinosaurs and Dandelions!

João Ribeiro

And the best cover ever to grace a fantasy book! :)

Now that is a must read!!! Now in all fairness it's just as viable as any other mystic ride in fantasy book. It's a scaled Tauntaun. :D

I wonder if I'll compare it to a certain Dresden book... hmmm

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about:

Armada - Ernest Cline (July)
Time Salvager - Wesley Chu (also July)
The City Stained Red - Sam Sykes (Jan/Feb)

I'd personally want to see the book club do 'standalone' books, or at least first books in a series. Obviously quite a few on here would be excluded from participating if it is a later book in a series that that person hasn't read.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Retribution Falls - Chris Wooding
Everybody should read this regardless of whether its a book club book or not. If you like Joss Whedon's Firefly you'll love Retribution Falls.
The Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski
Great suggestion, but to finish the series an English reader will have to wait until 2017, when all the official translations will be out and the series will be completed. That might be too long of a wait for some people and maybe they don't want to read the fan translations.
Playing the devil's advocate here, because The Last Wish is awesome and BFB people need to read it nonetheless :D

sopranosfan

I tend to read on the cheap so I rarely buy new release books outside of Stormlight, ASOIAF, and maybe a few others but if Dinosaur Lords is not book club material then I lose all faith in you guys and humanity in general!

João Ribeiro

Griffin said: ↑
Retribution Falls - Chris Wooding
Everybody should read this regardless of whether its a book club book or not. If you like Joss Whedon's Firefly you'll love Retribution Falls.
Thanks @Alucard for making my TBR pile even bigger.

if Dinosaur Lords is not book club material then I lose all faith in you guys and humanity in general!
Especially around the time Jurassic World premiers :D

Khartun

I agree with this. It is a very fun read. I need to pick up the next one in the series soon.

Ser Pounce

Is Book Club like Fight Club? First rule of Book Club is to never mention Book Club...aww shucks, I guess that sort of defeats the purpose then.

I think it was Griffin that mentioned reading the Low Town trilogy by Daniel Polansky and really enjoying it. Polansky has another book coming out titled Those Above that I plan on reading after it releases. Maybe a potential club reading? Just throwing it out there, I'm new so I'm not sure how certain books are decided on but I agree with Tom somewhat, would be cool to do some standalones or first book in a series that everybody can get in on if they so choose.

Ser Pounce

Not me, I haven't heard about that series. I have read the synopsis on Goodreads and I does look fun.
My apologizes. I stopped being lazy and double checked the December Reading thread and it was actually Haven who highly recommended the Low Town Trilogy and Daniel Polansky. You know what they say, all BFB forum users look the same....:D

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Thanks for all the dinosaur lord recs ... my almost 30 yr old fiance is now playing the full first episode of Dino Riders. So not only can I see myself having to buy and read the damn book I have also have to try and ignore this damn episode

@Ser Pounce feel free to rec anything! We prefer first in series or stand alones and try to keep them short. We also do popular new releases. So we would have done Providence of Fire in Jan but i'm not organised this year/ever.