Books You Finished That You Wish You Hadn't

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Sneaky Burrito, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I have apparently finished a lot of other people's DNFs, as well as some other books I spent precious days of my life on that I will never get back. These are some I really regret:
    • Entire Sword of Truth series (no further comment needed)
    • Pretty much every Shannara book I've read (no further comment needed)
    • Pretty much everything by Mercedes Lackey I've read (why did it take me so long to realize these were awful, and that she writes the same book over and over again?)
    • Most of the Saga of Recluce (see Mercedes Lackey above)
    • Book of the New Sun (all four of them)
    • Books 2 and 3 of Southern Reach by Jeff Vandermeer (liked the first one a lot; 2 and 3 left me unsatisfied)
    • The Eyes of God series by John Marco (this could've been one good book but instead it was three long books bloated with filler that were in dire need of a good editor)
    • Some series by Sara Douglass that I can't even remember the name of now (ah, Google tells me it was Darkglass Mountain)
    • Chronicles of Narnia (overt and sometimes offensive religious symbolism that I totally didn't get until I reread these in my 20s due to my non-religious upbringing)
    • Belgariad (I might've liked this when I was younger but it was not a good one to pick up in my 30s)
    I'm unsure whether to put Peter V. Brett's books in this list. As with many of you, I thought the first one was pretty good, but got utterly tired of all the pseudo-Arab stuff in subsequent books, as well as Leesha's behavior. I keep hoping he'll pull out all the stops for the last book, but I kind of doubt it at this point. I find myself not caring any more about the outcome.

I read a lot of this before discovering BFB (though the Vandermeer books were this year). I notice a few of mine are on the Worst Fantasy Books list from the main site. Do you all have your own lists like this?

2. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I'll keep this to SFF books (to eliminate crap I had to read for school).

Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds (SF).. I kind of liked the first two books in his Revelation Space trilogy. Then I hated the ending so much I wish I hadn't read it at all.

A Fire upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (SF). This book gets so much acclaim, but I found most of it frustrating and boring.

The Darkness that Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker (Fantasy). I picked this one up because it gets so much praise on the main site. I found it to be a book full of characters I hated in a world that could be completely destroyed without me shedding a single tear.

Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan (Fantasy). In fairness, I love the series as a whole, but this book was just plain brutal. I kind of wish I'd just read a plot summary and then gone on. I'm glad I pushed through and finished the series, though. Loved the last three books.

Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson (Fantasy). After the rape scene, I just couldn't like this book at all. I did eventually finish the series and somewhat liked it by the end, but I kind of wish I hadn't read it at all because I disliked the first book so much.

Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (Fantasy or SF). A boring book filled with boring characters doing boring things. Even her dragons were boring to me.

The Etched City by K.J. Bishop (Fantasy). This one has been described as The Dark Tower meets Perdido Street Station. Both of those, in my opinion, are much better stories. This one completely fell flat for me.

That's pretty much all the SFF books I've ever given two stars. As you can see, I like most of what I read.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sneaky Burrito

I didn't stop reading after the first book, but I find nothing to disagree with in that statement. I've read the entire first trilogy and the first book in the second trilogy and I haven't even bought any of the books after that.

Here's more from me:

Anything and everything by K.J. Parker (The Company and The Engineer Trilogy are the ones I've read); all the characters are class A selfish jerks, there's no magic (it always felt to me like they should've been historical fiction, but the author didn't want to bother to do any research), etc.

4. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne.

Quite enjoyed parts of the first book, but I hated the series come the end of book 3. It put me off picking up another epic style fantasy book for quite a time.

Same with Blood Song. Trope ridden tripe, as far as I'm concerned. I'd learnt my lesson by this point though and haven't gone near the sequels.

5. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Got in a fistfight with Dresden

For me, it's grim dark books that aim for the grimmest and darkest with extensive visualization of how awful the world is and how anti-social the 'heroes' are. I just can't get into those and regret every time I read one. Those kind of books make me want to take a mental shower.

Thomas Covenant did that to me, and I hated him, but I loved the Land, and growing up often wished I could live there during a time when Lord Foul was slumbering.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sneaky Burrito

Not gonna lie, I was definitely unsatisfied with books 2 and 3 of both of those series as well, after promising starts.

7. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Narnia. Especially The Last Battle which reads as a propaganda piece that has very little to do with the story. But I wanted to read all of it to see what this 'exceptional' piece of children's fantasy is all about. Now that I did that I am so relived that I never have to go near those books ever again. They're terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

the first book of the Chronicles of Amber.. its just so incredibly bad

Elminster Making of a Mage

Sourcery

and everything else I hated but read

9. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Sherilyn Kenyon. Can't remember the name. Utterly hated it - head hopping had me wailing, it was just ... tripe :(

10. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Years ago, I read a fantasy novel I picked up in Barnes and Noble. It was stunningly boring and long. I read the whole thing, and to this day I'll never know why. Wish I could tell you its title, but I think it gave me PTSD and I can't remember anymore.

11. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Wank of Kings
    Book 1 of that Cinda Williams Chima series with a sceptre on the cover
    Every BH @ KJA Dune book that wasn't a House Prequel, excluding the three newest because THEY DON'T EXIST

12. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Generally no. I'm happily married to the principle of ruthlessness when it comes to not reading books I'm not enjoying.

But there was something not so long ago where I did read all the way to the end and that was all "Wait, why did I do that again?" and I can't remember what it was now. Gonna drive me crazy now.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I'm glad you finished Sword of Truth. Otherwise I would never have known about the killer chickens! Too funnny. Wasn't there a movie called The Killer Clown Chickens From Outer Space?

Sorry about tbe PTSD. I can give you the number of the therapist I'm seeing for my own mental disorder (as outlined in DSM VI) Chronicles Of Amberitus. At least they didn't place me in a strait jacket like they did after I Hitchhiked through the Galaxy. Anyone else read The Last Of The Renshai series?

Even though you forgot the title do you remember what the book was about? Or did it bring on amnesia as well?

-

14. ABatch

It was one of those interminable "kid is odd, develops amazing wizarding powers, grows up to rule the kingdom" type of books.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Sounds like a description of my childhood.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ABatch

Mine was more like, "Dad is an orc, I'm a hobbit."

• Funny Funny x 2