Books You Finished That You Wish You Hadn't

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Sneaky Burrito, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I don't regret reading that one, exactly, but neither was it terribly exciting for me. It just felt like something that has been done 1000 times before. (Book 2 was more of the same.)

2. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I don't regret reading it, but I do regret finishing it if that makes sense. If I'd put it down the moment it started to bore me, I'd have had a far more enjoyable experience.

3. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

The last Vasily Mahanenko book i listened to, The Karmadont Chess Set. I really enjoyed the whole series (via audiobook), right up to the last dozen pages of this latest book. Strongly regret finishing it.

4. Buffy V Slayer

Buffy V Slayer Knows Who John Uskglass Is

The Coldfire Trilogy. I was just so bored but I kept reading, hoping it would get better and it just ... didn't (for me). The characters were flat, the action wasn't compelling and there was too much filler for me. I know it's on the Top 25 list and I may get some grief for admitting it but I definitely wish I had stopped after the first book.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I can't speak for others but I respect someone who isn't afraid to against the grain whether we are of the same mind or not. Almost everyone here has the maturity to realize that books are subjective and they not only don't take it personally but I think most enjoy the discussion it generates.The thing that surprises me is that one or two people usually pop up out of the woodwork and say something like "Yeah. I felt exactly the same way"!

As for Coldfire I never had any desire to read it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Coldfire is great. Y'all suck!

haha ;)

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  7. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

Yeah, I really enjoyed coldfire. I thought it was a interesting take on the genre.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

All I know about Coldfire is it is dark with an anti-hero. That kind of book isn't what I find to my personal liking. I don't doubt that it is a great series for most people who enjoy that sort of thing. :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. Buffy V Slayer

Buffy V Slayer Knows Who John Uskglass Is

I'm sorry (I'm Canadian so I feel obligated)

I think that the reason I found I didn't enjoy it as much was that I didn't find the characters were well developed enough (they weren't multidimensional for me), and character-driven stories are my favourite. The world was definitely unique, judging from the rest of the fantasy I've read.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  10. R.E.M. Verberg

R.E.M. Verberg A farm boy with a sword

Earlier this year I read the entire Chronicles of Amber series because I was by a pool in Lanzarote with not much else on my ereader. Something in those books really pulled me in, even though by all accounts there should have been more to repel me.

I can't say I regret finishing those books - I got something out of the experience, even if it was only a certain vibe that I enjoyed. I do regret not bringing more reading material on that holiday, though:).

11. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Pretty sure it's praised and considered one of the top fantasy works ever. Who told you otherwise?

12. R.E.M. Verberg

R.E.M. Verberg A farm boy with a sword

I think I didn't phrase that right @kenubrion . What I meant to say is there were a lot of things - flat characters being at the forefront of my mind right now - that I normally don't go for. But there was something unique and captivating about the style that kept me reading, even though I wasn't particularly interested in the outcome or invested in the characters (couldn't really tell you the story from memory now, for example).

Normally I'm a big 'empathy reader'; caring about the characters and understanding them is what makes me want to know what happens next. In this case i couldn't really care less - and yet I kept reading to get more of that 'atmosphere fix'.

I might have used the expression 'by all accounts' wrong, English is not my native language.