bric-à-brac

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
Never underestimate mankinds ability to waste their time building pointless things for the hell of it.
Along with ability to enjoy them. Cracking stuff.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is he taking the piss? There's a comedy website over here in the UK with joke stories (The Daily Mash - very funny, you should have a read) where you expect to see stories like this. But the fact this is a US story, I'm not entirely sure that this is a joke!? No offence to you Americans, but you have more than your fair share of nutters (Eg. Birmingham is a Muslim only city .. dafuq indeed!)

Boreas

Staff member
Is he taking the piss? There's a comedy website over here in the UK with joke stories (The Daily Mash - very funny, you should have a read) where you expect to see stories like this. But the fact this is a US story, I'm not entirely sure that this is a joke!? No offence to you Americans, but you have more than your fair share of nutters (Eg. Birmingham is a Muslim only city .. dafuq indeed!)
I wonder if he's also been told that Britain has a secret railway that services just one school.

Alucard

Staff member
Really entertaining and educational at the same time. Would love to hear some English people pitch in on if she did a good job.
You know I've been watching Constantine on NBC. It's a good show, but that man makes me turn on the English subtitles so I know what he's saying in his own frickin language! :D I love it though, don't get me wrong. Constantine is from Liverpool and Matt Ryan is from Wales, so it's a combo that's very heavy on the ears for a non native. Same way I have to turn on the subtitles when I'm watching something with Cajun and Creole accent from USA.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really entertaining and educational at the same time. Would love to hear some English people pitch in on if she did a good job.
You know I've been watching Constantine on NBC. It's a good show, but that man makes me turn on the English subtitles so I know what he's saying in his own frickin language! :D I love it though, don't get me wrong. Constantine is from Liverpool and Matt Ryan is from Wales, so it's a combo that's very heavy on the ears for a non native. Same way I have to turn on the subtitles when I'm watching something with Cajun and Creole accent from USA.

Ha ha, not bad! They are extremely generic, each of the local accents have such a variation within them, but ok I guess as an 'introduction to local accents in the UK' ... they miss out where I'm from though (East Midlands) - e.g. Alreet me duck, have you sin me brothar, he has got a propar mard-on? (Hello there my friend, have you seen my brother, he is in a bit of a bad mood?)

wakarimasen

Lot's of pirates were from Somerset (north of Cornwall, where England meets wales) and south wales. So a real Piraty accent has a strong Somerset flavour. This can be proven by saying "Ooo-ar, I've got a brand new combine harvester" in a piraty voice and seeing how far you are from English novelty stalwarts "The Wurzels"
My local pub at my last permy job in Bristol was "The Hatchet" which Edward Teach a.k.a Blackbeard used to drink in....
Arrrrrr.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
Same way I have to turn on the subtitles when I'm watching something with Cajun and Creole accent from USA.
one my favorites: outer banks, North Carolina (small islands, some of them far from the mainland, few bridges, mainly ferries):

Alucard

Staff member
I've only read first two books of Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic), and I liked them. But for a lot of the people these two books turn them off the Discworld reading.
So here's an alternative reading order that's based on the reoccurring characters in Discworld.

I usually prefer reading series in publishing order. Or rarely in an order that's based on internal chronology (I plan to read Narnia books and The Elric Saga by Moorcock in that manner). But I never thought about reading books in an order that's based on characters, but maybe that's unique to Discworld? What do you guys think?

Alucard

Staff member
My local pub at my last permy job in Bristol was "The Hatchet" which Edward Teach a.k.a Blackbeard used to drink in....
Arrrrrr.
Great pub name and even better story to tell. Could serve as a starting point for writing a pirate story :p
one my favorites: outer banks, North Carolina (small islands, some of them far from the mainland, few bridges, mainly ferries):
Great vid and a good proof of why I desperately need subtitles lol :D