Bye for now, BFB.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,

I've not been around much at all recently. This is partly because I'm in a huge reading slump which has lasted several months now, but also partly because it's fairly clear to me that our illustrious leader Ben has given up on BFB, and the site has definitely 'had its day' and seems to be being run into the ground.

I've stopped operating the BFB Twitter account too... the whole point of that was to get people over to the site and forum, but with the site not having updates anymore, and the forum not able to accept new members for approaching a year now (I think it's that long), I don't really see the point.

It's been great here since I joined many years ago, we've had some good times, and at one point (when we were doing the audio author interviews) we were actually getting noticed in the fantasy world!! I'm not going to go cold turkey / delete my account, but I probably won't be spending too much time here any more. I'll swing by from time to time I'm sure, but I see less and less of you posting here now, and I can actually imagine it won't be too much longer before the site is pulled all together (I recon it costs Ben a fair few quid to keep this going).

So whilst it's not 'goodbye', I just wanted to say 'see you later', it's been a pleasure. Best of luck in everything you and your families set out to achieve, and good health to you all.

Bye for now, and all the best,
TomTB

(My Twitter is @TomFromNottm if you want to stay in touch, and I'm on Facebook too ( https://www.facebook.com/tom.horner.16 ) although I'm using that site mainly to post pics of my daughter, and no doubt pics of #2 who will arrive with us in a few months).

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
I'm sorry to see you go @TomTB . I suppose I'll keep frequenting the site until it's gone, just because.

I loved this forum. It's a shame Ben didn't let us know he wasn't going to keep the site going and give someone the option of taking it over. We could have gotten a few people together to run it.

Thanks for everything you did for the site!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Good luck Tom. You do what you have to do. Ben's disappearance saddens us all I'm sure.
You can always find me here (while BFB is still running anyway), but I'm on Goodreads every day and I love interacting with you guys over there as well.

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I had noticed traffic did seem to be a lot lower over the last year or so, but I didn't know all this. What a bummer.

Bierschneeman

Cant say i didn't see this coming, (glory have i been here for about a decade?) we lose members every year, and get a replenishment. with that prevented, we will only dwindle away.

i highly doubt i will join a new book forum, maybe just double down on exotic pet keeping.

What would everyone else dedicate their new free time on "IF," the end does come?

Tanniel

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Understandable. I'll give you a follow on twitter (and if anyone wants to keep up with me, my twitter is @QuillofAdal).

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Cheers Tom, and see you around on GoodReads.

I'll stick around for a while longer, just to keep an eye on Alucard so she doesn't start misbehaving.

For all you guys and gals who want a more lively fantasy discussion, I can heartily recommend the /r/fantasy subreddit. We've got hundreds of new threads a day there with thousands of posts. I do prefer the more in-depth discussions here, but with this place belly-up for the moment, it's a good alternative.

Matticus Primal

I'll second r/fantasy, which is where I spend most of my days now. Great way to be caught up on all the latest news as well as newest book deals. And, somehow, it's one of the most civil places on all of the internets (touch wood).

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'll second r/fantasy, which is where I spend most of my days now. Great way to be caught up on all the latest news as well as newest book deals. And, somehow, it's one of the most civil places on all of the internets (touch wood).
Yep. The moderation is great. Unlike the lousy mods here on this board. :woot::shy:

Matticus Primal

How to connect to that, please? I've never been on reddit or know what it is. I'm interested in great mods too.
Just go to https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/ and create an account. It's a bit intimidating at first, but it's basically just a forum, and I never go to any of the other subreddits because this all I need. The sword to the left of the number is an upvote, which means you like it and want it to appear higher in the threads, while the sword to the right is a downvote and should be used when the post doesn't belong rather than you not agreeing with it. After that, just click on topics you find interesting and join the discussions.

Threads disappear pretty quickly from the front page (about 24 hours), which is basically just the popular posts, so I always go to the "new" tab to see what's... well, new.

Neil Gaimen posted something just a few days ago there, and Ruthfous, Eames, McDonald, Lawrence, and even Sanderson pop up on occasion.

jo zebedee

So sad.

Another forum that I find great is sffchronicles.com - it’s bigger but still inclusive, welcoming and well moderated.

It also works on the same software as here and is less daunting than reddit with more of a small community feel

kenubrion

Just go to https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/ and create an account. It's a bit intimidating at first, but it's basically just a forum, and I never go to any of the other subreddits because this all I need. The sword to the left of the number is an upvote, which means you like it and want it to appear higher in the threads, while the sword to the right is a downvote and should be used when the post doesn't belong rather than you not agreeing with it. After that, just click on topics you find interesting and join the discussions.

Threads disappear pretty quickly from the front page (about 24 hours), which is basically just the popular posts, so I always go to the "new" tab to see what's... well, new.

Neil Gaimen posted something just a few days ago there, and Ruthfous, Eames, McDonald, Lawrence, and even Sanderson pop up on occasion.
Thanks Matticus.

ABatch

I guess I should expand my plea for the other authors on BFB -- we all can use your support (and propaganda!) when and wherever we can get it, be it Reddit, Fantasy Faction, Fantasy Hive, etc.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
A word to the wise: I agree on everything that Matticus said, but be wary of trolls and such. I love Reddit, and the fantasy subreddit is better moderated than pretty much any other subreddit I've come across, but still Reddit remains a bit of a Wild Wild West when compared to this forum fort example.

Derk of Derkholm

For all you guys and gals who want a more lively fantasy discussion, I can heartily recommend the /r/fantasy subreddit.
I ... think I need to get used to the style of communication first ...

1539688431769.png

And mind you, I was actually referring to the kind of indented list with short messages, not to the nonsense featured in this particular thread. But yeah, that too.

Also, seems to be more a host of mainstream banter led by the Hoi Polloi than the thoughtful discussion of a group of fantasy connoisseurs, but then, these are only first impressions after a very casual glance.

Last edited: