Bye for now, BFB.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I ... think I need to get used to the style of communication first ...

View attachment 938

And mind you, I was actually referring to the kind of indented list with short messages, not to the nonsense featured in this particular thread. But yeah, that too.

Also, seems to be more a host of mainstream banter led by the Hoi Polloi than the thoughtful discussion of a group of fantasy connoisseurs, but then, these are only first impressions after a very casual glance.
Yeah, the lay-out can be a bit confusing at first (although it can be tweaked). By the way 'Reddit is fun' is an unofficial phone app (so not the official Reddit phone app) that is easier to use according to some people (I personally use the official Reddit app).

For me, the trick with Reddit is to filter out the "raisins from the porridge" (if you can forgive me a Dutch expression). You often get a lot of input on questions and the trick is to filter out the useful replies.

The /r/Fantasy subreddit is indeed a bit mainstream. However, there is still a lot of discussion going on in the numerous threads, but I recommend that if you are looking for more in-depth discussion, to visit the subreddit of particular franchises. For example, I am subscribed to /r/asoiaf (there's also a /r/gameofthrones subreddit, but that one focuses more on the tv-series) and /r/Malazan. There's loads of in-depth discussions going on there.

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
For example, I am subscribed to /r/asoiaf
Interesting. If I ever need something to keep my occupied for the next 5 years while waiting what happens first - George R. Martin's demise or his bringing out a new book that continues the ASOIAF story arc, I will certainly sign up there ... (please apologize the sarcasm, but I have a rather jaded view by now)

Kevin O Donoghue

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Well that is disappointing.

I always like to check in here to see what books people are getting in to, reading contributors opinions on new books, getting advice on what to read next etc. Hopefully it will last for another while.

jo zebedee

For those who like the same interface as BFB both sffworld and sff chronicles use it. I find it easier to navigate than Reddit and, also, the focus in those communities is the same: reading, and general chat. Both have a lot of writing threads too - especially Chronicles which has a good number of pro and aspiring writers - and the community feel.

Peat

Late to this party but am also glumly of the mind that this is a zombie forum and that, while I'll keep dropping by now and again, its all about making sure relationships continue beyond. I'll be posting my Twitter and adding people when I get home this morning.

Tbh, more and more forums seem to have a touch of the zombie these days. I'm on all the communities others have mentioned as places to move on and Reddit Fantasy is the only one that doesn't feel like its declined since I first joined - which is a shame, as its by far my least favourite format. SFFChronicles hasn't declined much, and Fantasy Faction is still fairly robust, but both could use some fresh blood *HEAVY HANDED HINT*

kenubrion

Late to this party but am also glumly of the mind that this is a zombie forum and that, while I'll keep dropping by now and again, its all about making sure relationships continue beyond. I'll be posting my Twitter and adding people when I get home this morning.

Tbh, more and more forums seem to have a touch of the zombie these days. I'm on all the communities others have mentioned as places to move on and Reddit Fantasy is the only one that doesn't feel like its declined since I first joined - which is a shame, as its by far my least favourite format. SFFChronicles hasn't declined much, and Fantasy Faction is still fairly robust, but both could use some fresh blood *HEAVY HANDED HINT*
Amazon's Fantasy forum was almost dead by the time Amazon pulled the plug on all forums. Same with the classic rock forum and the Health forum. The only busy forum was the Kindle forum at the end. But if everyone here kept posting we could prevent that. By the way, Dawn of Wonder is the Kindle daily deal in fantasy.

ExTended

I've tried posting on the r/fantasy sub-reddit, but barely half a year into doing it I've got banned after calling the mods for deleting opinions they didn't agree with( politically - in politicized reddit discussions, mind you) and banning anyone who isn't far left for frivolous reasons. I've found the Fantasy Faction FB group to be ran by the same crowd of people, so I'm staying away from it as well.

That's why I tend to stick to the few places where it's mostly fantasy and little/no politics - people are trying to put their agendas into everything these days and I'm here for the books and their tropes.

I wish that more people would stick to the old fashioned forums - it's so much easier to run a tight community that get's together( most of the time) and keeps everything to the point. :)

So let's keep this forum alive if possible - you don't need thousands for a party after all. I just hope that Ben is able to make end meet when it comes to the costs of keeping the site/forum running.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I've tried posting on the r/fantasy sub-reddit, but barely half a year into doing it I've got banned after calling the mods for deleting opinions they didn't agree with( politically - in politicized reddit discussions, mind you) and banning anyone who isn't far left for frivolous reasons. I've found the Fantasy Faction FB group to be ran by the same crowd of people, so I'm staying away from it as well.

That's why I tend to stick to the few places where it's mostly fantasy and little/no politics - people are trying to put their agendas into everything these days and I'm here for the books and their tropes.

I wish that more people would stick to the old fashioned forums - it's so much easier to run a tight community that get's together( most of the time) and keeps everything to the point. :)

So let's keep this forum alive if possible - you don't need thousands for a party after all. I just hope that Ben is able to make end meet when it comes to the costs of keeping the site/forum running.
Did you get banned for (allegedly) posting political stuff on a politics subreddit or for (allegedly) posting political stuff on the fantasy subreddit?

ExTended

For answering/sharing my opinion on political threads( not started by me, mind you) in the fantasy sub-reddit. It wasn't even anything polarizing and we were having a polite conversation, but the mods are deleting and punishing anything that isn't "What a great idea/I totally agree" type of post.

There just this clique of people who'd post political stuff there on daily basis and censor anyone who'd rather have things strictly fantasy or not echo-chamber-ish.

Every time I visit Reddit I feel like barfing. Just today I've decided to visit the Kingkiller Chronicles sub-reddit on a whim and the upper most post was: https://www.reddit.com/r/KingkillerChronicle/comments/a7flx4
Needless to say, I'd be avoiding those places from now on. I am not even disagreeing with their politics( as a person who isn't even exercising his power to vote 90% of the time I can't care less about such things, I work hard, I earn a good living, I create my own things, my personal politics is learn more, do more, live better, stay away from politics unless they're deliberately trying to f*ck you), but it just get's annoying as time goes, especially when it's one-sided.

Last edited: