Calling all YA readers...

Bridge

Possibly a Darkfriend
Hey! This is my first post on her but I used to be a huge reader, especially YA fiction books or just fiction in general, but lately this year has had me so busy and with summer coming up I'm excited to get back into the loop. If anyone could recommend some ya books or series that seem to be pretty popular now I'd be so grateful! (Of course I love finding more obscure novels too, but I also like to know whats up and coming so that I can read them and decide for myself!)
Many thanks,
Bridge

Sparrow

Journeyed there and back again
The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson
Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War, by Clive Barker

... or if you're into Dinosaur Erotica like Tom and I are, try Taken by the T-Rex, by Christie Sims. It's based on a true story.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taken by the T-Rex
What a ridiculous suggestion. TbtT-R suffers from such a weak plot .. it's all bells and whistles with no substance. Helicopter Man Pounds Dinosaur Billionaire Ass is a much better recommendation (but not necessarily for someone looking for a hearty YA bedtime read...)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
The original Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson might be to your liking. It is not YA per se, but it certainly has some YA elements. It's a well regarded, fast-paced, fun series. If you've been out of the reading loop for a while it might be just the thing to get you excited again for the Fantasy genre.

jo zebedee

I read some YA, and write some too. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is one that springs to mind that's both YA and adult orientated. Also, Gaiman's The Graveyard book was quite good fun (sorry if it's a bit young, you didn't say what end of the YA age range you were interested in.)

Anyhow, some others I like:

Carlos Ruiz Zafon does some nice YA - I really enjoyed Marina. Magical realism, sumptuous description, creepy as hell.
Marcus Sedgewick - I've only come across him recently and really like his stuff. Not dumbed down, lovely flow. Some mainstream, some fantasy.
Holly Black - I'm not a huge fan, per se, but loads of fantasy YA readers rave about her, and Cassandra Clare, too (that might be a series, actually)
Abercrombie's YA series is good fun if you're into fantasy with darker undertones.

Boreas

Staff member
Helicopter Man Pounds Dinosaur Billionaire Ass
Tom, you probably didn't know this but I self-identify as an attack helicopter and I think I've just been traumatised. I need to fly back to my safe hanger-bay.

Boreas

Staff member
To the OP, I don't know much about the YA labelling and market, but some books that I think are great and would heartily recommend are:

A Separate Peace by John Knowles
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Holes by Louis Sachar

The John Knowles book is a masterpiece.

And I recently read a really fun science fiction novel that had a juvenile feel about it: Unforgettable by Eric James Stone.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
you probably didn't know this but I self-identify as an attack helicopter
Funny you should say that but you were in fact the first person that sprung to mind when I was reading that classic example of dino-erotica .....

@Sparrow - Stop de-railing threads with dino-erotica !!!!

Boreas

Staff member
Funny you should say that but you were in fact the first person that sprung to mind when I was reading that classic example of dino-erotica .....
It's a fair cop. Now how did you get access to that stash of dino po- literature on my laptop?