Check Out Our New Science Fiction Sister Site: BestScienceFictionBooks.com

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Hey guys. The new science fiction sister site is up and running: BestScienceFictionBooks.com. Same sort of deal as BestFantasyBooks.com but ONLY catering to science fiction. So if you are looking for some seriously detailed science fiction recommendations, that's the place to start visiting. I'm still trying to decide what to do with the forum -- import/move the science fiction forum over there (probably won't do it) or just create a brand new forum only for science fiction.

Site is still in development phase, but there are a few big lists up and running. It has a whole crowd-submitted vote list system (same as bestfantasybooks). Blog and forums not yet installed. Will have more than 20 lists up in a month or two, so keep checking back on it.

The goal is to make bestsciencefictionbooks.com the number one science fiction recommendation hub on the web; I'm a huge fan of science fiction myself. The genre has taken a back seat to fantasy the past few years, with more writers entering the fantasy genre than science fiction (in part because it's way easier to write fantasy than good science fiction and there is more money in it). But that doesn't mean there are not awesome new science fiction reads coming out every year.

So go take a look!

Ben

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I think it should be with this forum. Get more traffic here. There will be some overlaps.

Also, moderators here can keep a look out without having to visit another forum =)

Antoxx

Very nice Ben. Sci Fi certainly isn't my mainstay, but there is some on the top 25 I've read already and at least one in my TBR pile. Will be a useful resource going forward, no doubt.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks great =)

Been meaning to dip into a bit more SF for a while now. Read Enders Game but that's it .. really enjoyed it so might check out some of the recommendations!

Congrats on another brilliant website!

Tom.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Yeah, I've surprised even myself how many of the Top 25 and honourable mentions I've read. I always like sci-fi, so much philosophy about mankind in so many books.

Derk of Derkholm

Can it be that there's no forum there?
Hit the "forum" button and only got a "page not found" error...

Best regards,
Andy

btkong

Staff member
Yep, site is still a work in progress with new lists being added every week or two and new content. I don't have a blog up yet and I haven't put a forum. Still trying to decide whether to merge the forum with this one (science fiction section) or put up a brand new forum (the old forum software that was before this new upgrade).

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I'd suggest for the sake of keeping things simple just merge it with this one.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I'd suggest for the sake of keeping things simple just merge it with this one.
I agree. A lot of the same people would participate in both, anyway. And some topics cross over and don't neatly fit solely into one category or the other. And some authors write both sci fi and fantasy.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I wanted to stop by and say that, having not checked up on the sister site in a while- the improvements and new lists are absolutely fantastic. It really is amazing and has everything I was looking for and more. Congratulations on a job well done.

Hand of Fear

I think it will also be better if the two were merged, like Sneaky has already said most people will use both and the people who read mostly Fantasy may end up reading more sci fi and the other way around.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I think it will also be better if the two were merged, like Sneaky has already said most people will use both and the people who read mostly Fantasy may end up reading more sci fi and the other way around.

Up to Ben really. I think he really wanted a dedicated one because sci-fi isn't really love/talked about on the forums.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Up to Ben really. I think he really wanted a dedicated one because sci-fi isn't really love/talked about on the forums.
I'm talking aren't I?
I try to participate in three sections, fantasy, horror and sci-fi. But there's only so much time to read in a day:p

btkong

Staff member
I may just link the bestsciencefictionbooks.com forum to this specific forum. The audience is so cross over. The bottom line is that I'd say fantasy makes up a good 75 percent of the market while science fiction less than 25 percent of the speculative fiction market. Even here, for every post we get in this science fiction section, we probably get 50-100 posts in the fantasy forum. Just not as many people read science fiction books these days.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I may just link the bestsciencefictionbooks.com forum to this specific forum. The audience is so cross over. The bottom line is that I'd say fantasy makes up a good 75 percent of the market while science fiction less than 25 percent of the speculative fiction market. Even here, for every post we get in this science fiction section, we probably get 50-100 posts in the fantasy forum. Just not as many people read science fiction books these days.

Fantasy is going through its boom now, indeed.

moonspawn

I'm very new to sci fi but I've greatly enjoyed the Ender Quartet and Hyperion. So far 1984, Commonwealth Saga, Forever Wars, Starship Trooper, Expanse and Old Man's War are very high up on my too read list. Is there anything else I should add? I also have zero to no interest in hard sci fi; techno babble isn't my thing.

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I'm a brand new member in both sites. I personally like having the choice of the two and being able to dip in either one as I feel like it. SF forum is a lot quieter but it is very niche and and excitingly helpful!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a brand new member in both sites. I personally like having the choice of the two and being able to dip in either one as I feel like it. SF forum is a lot quieter but it is very niche and and excitingly helpful!
Welcome! (to both forums)
... yeah the SF forum is a lot quieter in comparison, but hopefully that'll change with more folk (like you) joining :)