Cheep Used and New Book Sites

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
We have our amazon deals thread, but sometimes older books aren't really available in ebook format, so here's a few sites that I know that sell used and new books for cheep prices and affordable delivery.

This site is pretty cool especially if you are in US. Books go from 2.99$
http://www.thriftbooks.com/categorylanding.aspx?categoryid=2

Shipping charges:
Free Shipping for USA.
Canada and UK 2.99$ per book
Rest of the world 4.99$ per book.

This one is great internationally and they also give one book for charity for each book you buy.
http://www.betterworldbooks.com/science-fiction-books-fantasy-books-H16421.aspx
Here's more on the charity work they do: click

Shipping charges:
FREE Shipping Worldwide (exactly how it should be everywhere imo :) )

These guys sell new books only. They are UK based and are owned by amazon.
http://www.bookdepository.com/

Shipping charges:
FREE Shipping Worldwide

If you know any affordable book selling sites please post here.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have used this one before:

http://www.abebooks.com

Shipping terms vary widely, with some having free shipping in the US and some having a charge. I found a whole lot of Steven Erikson books for $1 with $2.46 US shipping. There seems to be a currency converter so international people may be able to order there, too, but of course I can't say how that works.

I get used books on Amazon sometimes. You can often choose copies that are "fulfilled by Amazon" or "Prime eligible" (if you have Prime) so Ammy is who is actually doing the fulfillment. They're much easier to deal with if something goes wrong with the order.

I don't care for Better World Books. Their shipping is super slow (>2 weeks in some cases to the US -- I know this from personal experience, I can only imagine how bad it is for books going overseas) and they don't respond well to customer service requests (or at all, sometimes). Even if they're the ones who sent the wrong book, if online reviews of BWB are to be believed. Also, they're notoriously bad about their representations of the conditions of the books they're selling (i.e., you think you're getting something in "good" condition and you get a marked-up, used library book instead). They work by doing book drives at colleges and universities, so they get their inventory for free. They're a for-profit company with no inventory costs. So I stay away from them.

Alucard

Staff member
I don't care for Better World Books. Their shipping is super slow (>2 weeks in some cases to the US -- I know this from personal experience, I can only imagine how bad it is for books going overseas) and they don't respond well to customer service requests (or at all, sometimes). Even if they're the ones who sent the wrong book, if online reviews of BWB are to be believed. Also, they're notoriously bad about their representations of the conditions of the books they're selling (i.e., you think you're getting something in "good" condition and you get a marked-up, used library book instead). They work by doing book drives at colleges and universities, so they get their inventory for free. They're a for-profit company with no inventory costs. So I stay away from them.
Well that is very troubling. I didn't know they had such reputation. Proceed at your own risk peeps.

From the ones I've listed I've used bookdepository, for new books. They deliver from UK to Bosnia in 5 days, which is fine by me. It's Royal Mail and I never had any glitches with them. I would recommend if living outside USA for new books.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Well that is very troubling. I didn't know they had such reputation. Proceed at your own risk peeps.

From the ones I've listed I've used bookdepository, for new books. They deliver from UK to Bosnia in 5 days, which is fine by me. It's Royal Mail and I never had any glitches with them. I would recommend if living outside USA for new books.
Well, sharing knowledge is always good.

At any rate, I have ordered from bookdepository without realizing it (they sell through Amazon too). I used it for a UK book that wasn't out in the US yet. But I seem to remember that book coming way before the shipping estimate said it would. So I would second the recommendation for bookdepository.

epicfantasyfreak

Journeyed there and back again
I've bought used books from Noble Knight before and had good experience with them. However, their website is a bit difficult to navigate and you have to pay very close attention to their conditions when ordering (I wouldn't order anything Fair or poor). I mistakenly ordered a Fair product once, paid like $27 for it, and it wasn't worth $1 IMHO, but maybe that's just me. They also do trade-ins, so if you've got a bunch of stuff sitting around, not being used, trade that in for some new stuff. They have novels, comics, games, collectables, toys, etc.

International customers welcome, but idk anything beyond that on that particular front.

Alucard

Staff member
I remembered one more site

http://bookoutlet.com/

STANDARD SHIPPING RATES TO THE UNITED STATES
$3.99 for the first two books and $0.50 cents for every book after that.

STANDARD SHIPPING RATES TO CANADA
$3.99 for shipping and $0.75 cents per item.

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING RATES
Rates are based on order weight and destination. Rates are automatically generated and displayed on the Shipping Information page of the order checkout process.

Anybody had any experience with them? They seem to have really cheep prices.

robert eggleton

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
I ordered a great sounding book from Lulu but it took over two weeks to arrive and I was already involved with another series. Still haven't read the one from Lulu.

Shipping terms vary widely, with some having free shipping in the US and some having a charge. I found a whole lot of Steven Erikson books for $1 with $2.46 US shipping. There seems to be a currency converter so international people may be able to order there, too, but of course I can't say how that works.

I get used books on Amazon sometimes. You can often choose copies that are "fulfilled by Amazon" or "Prime eligible" (if you have Prime) so Ammy is who is actually doing the fulfillment. They're much easier to deal with if something goes wrong with the order.

Thansk for this. I just visited the site.

fl1pper

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods

I've used abebooks a few times and can recommend them. It's essentially a portal onto a lot of smaller book shops but that does mean the shipping varies a lot. They have a UK site (http://www.abebooks.co.uk) too.