Come All Ye Faithful...

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
...and Hate. Unburden yourselves of all the hate you carry within. Let the dark side reign for a bit and rant all you want. Continuing the few posts from the "I just bought" (p. 33 & 34) thread under the Fantasy forum.

I'll reiterate some that I've already mentioned (just 'cause I hate them so much) to get the flow going:

Bono (die! die! die!)
militant vegans
Jane Austen (all her novels except "Pride and Prejudice" which I liked...but especially "Emma" - I hated that match-making bitch even more than the characters Anna Karenina (which was a good book) and Madame Bovary).

and also

Sharon Osbourne & kids

João Ribeiro

Ok, some bile spilling thread. I'm game as long as we keep it to venting our dislikes and not bickering about someone else's dislikes.

What do I dislike? Stupidity, raw stupidity, I mean it's one thing for someone else to have a different opinion, but when you see someone march on to their own disgrace and stand firmly behind their convictions that they are doing a good job. It makes me want to slap them with a live tuna.

Bad drivers, man there are some idiots behind 1 and a half tons of steel out there.

Loud badmouthed kids on trains.... I want to read for heaven's sake, can't you talk without making it sound like you are being flayed alive?

I don't dislike vegans but it seems odd to eat the food my food eats. :D

And for now that's it, I'll chime in some more later on otherwise you'll start seeing me as a hateful person and I don't want to get in someone's list :D.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
People eating bananas. Can't stand the noise, makes my blood boil!

Yeah I know, 'weirdo'!!!

And less weird, drivers who don't use their indicators! It's so infuriating sitting at a roundabout waiting for ages to pull out, and missing your chance because some lazy $£&* can't be bothered to move a little stick mere inches away from their hand!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I don't care for the militant vegan types who try to push their views on everyone. Especially the ones who try to feed their cats vegan food. (Cats are obligate carnivores.) I'm a vegetarian, myself, and there are certain restaurants I avoid as a result of that, but I don't give a crap if other people go. Those militant types make it harder for the rest of us, honestly, and they don't do anything to help their own cause.

Boreas

Staff member
Loud badmouthed kids on trains.... I want to read for heaven's sake, can't you talk without making it sound like you are being flayed alive?
Yes! Hate loud and crying kids on train and plane journeys. It should be mandatory to sedate them for the duration of the trip. It can't be that hard to figure out baby dosages.
I don't care for the militant vegan types who try to push their views on everyone. Especially the ones who try to feed their cats vegan food. (Cats are obligate carnivores.) I'm a vegetarian, myself, and there are certain restaurants I avoid as a result of that, but I don't give a crap if other people go. Those militant types make it harder for the rest of us, honestly, and they don't do anything to help their own cause.
I've been vegetarian all my life (both sides of my family are vegetarians and I grew up in a vegetarian household) and my father even came from a community where the more orthodox are strict vegans. But I've only encountered this militant brand of veganism in the west where they want to convert you. I mean, I've hardly ever met overly zealous religious types who want to convert me or show me the error of my ways, but I've met enough of these damn vegans to turn me thoroughly off.

People who will come stand right next to the urinal you're at when there are numerous free ones available away from you. Same for seats in a movie theater, on a bus and the receptionist at a sports club giving you keys to a locker right next to one being used when the whole aisle of lockers is free.

João Ribeiro

It can't be that hard to figure out baby dosages.
I actually meant 18/19 year old kids.... damn I'm really getting old!

People who will come stand right next to the urinal you're at when there are numerous free ones available away from you.
They are welcome but shouldn't complain if they then get demoralized. :D
Seriously personal space should be respected. Give me a one meter breathing room whenever possible! If I want cuddling I'll go home to my wife.

Derk of Derkholm

Haha, I am a vegan myself, but most likely not a very militant one :)
Luckily I only know very few "militant" ones, most vegans I know are pretty easy-going and normally do not even mention it (unless ordering food, then it makes sense).

To be honest, like Boreas, when I was a vegetarian (about 20 years of my life), I only met very few vegans, and most of them were quite obnoxious. If not for their aggressive approach, and having received information instead of aggression earlier, I might have gone vegan myself much earlier.

What I do not like so much are really stupid waiters ... "You are vegetarian, well, we have chicken ... do you want the chicken? What, you do not want chicken? So fish, then, ok? Most vegetarians I know do eat fish! So why don't you?"

Best regards,
Andy

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
What I do not like so much are really stupid waiters ... "You are vegetarian, well, we have chicken ... do you want the chicken? What, you do not want chicken? So fish, then, ok? Most vegetarians I know do eat fish! So why don't you?"
I had a special plate prepared for me last year when the people at my office went out to lunch at a fancy restaurant. They brought the plate and it had a big mass of collard greens on it (along with a few other things that I found acceptable). I know that restaurant cooks their collard greens with chicken stock. And there was chicken stock running all over everything else on the plate. Sigh. I hate to be the pain in the ass who sends food back, but I had to send that back.

There was a restaurant in Harvard Square when I was in college. Mexican and Cajun combined. Their regular menu said "ask to see our vegetarian menu" so I did. Fish, fish, and more fish.

I do find it interesting that a lot of people don't know what goes into their food and the other products they consume. They're surprised to find out that Caesar dressing has anchovies (or Worcestershire sauce, which amounts to the same thing) in it. Or that most medications in gelcap form have (duh) gelatin in them. Or that marshmallows have gelatin in them, for that matter. I know how gelatin is made (wrote a patent application about improvements in the process, once). That is NOT a vegetarian product.

Mostly I just excuse myself and go home to eat if it's going to be a problem. It's not my goal to convert anyone.

Here's what I hate -- the question: "How do you get your protein?" Like people think they're the first ones to ever ask me that and that, after 20+ years of not eating meat, I'll suddenly snap out of it and gobble down a cheeseburger or something.

Well, this is turning into a vegan/vegetarian thread.

Here's something unrelated that I hate. Reviews on Amazon where people write -- in the review -- that coming up with 20 words to meet the minimum is too difficult. (Then why the hell did you bother to post a review, is what I want to know.)

Derk of Derkholm

So what else to hate?
- fake amazon reviews,
- spelling/grammatical errors in books,

- Aaah ... one more ... people who THROW AWAY books. Yes, I know, it might be Robert Stanek's latest book, and I really might not want to read it again or force it on somebody else, but nevertheless, in my opinion you simply DO NOT throw away or (even worse) burn books.

I find it hard to really mention many things more that I hate ... hmm, maybe I am too easy-going :)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
- Aaah ... one more ... people who THROW AWAY books. Yes, I know, it might be Robert Stanek's latest book, and I really might not want to read it again or force it on somebody else, but nevertheless, in my opinion you simply DO NOT throw away or (even worse) burn books.
I can't think of a single instance when I've ever thrown away a book. Although I have seen boxes of old crappy Harlequin romances out by the recycle bins at the supermarket where I shop. (You know, if people would actually put them IN the paper bin, they might get recycled. Instead they leave the boxes out in the parking lot, where they get rained on and turn to mush.)

Speaking of which, here is something I hate: people misusing the recycle bins behind the supermarket. I haven't updated this tumblr in awhile, but here are some of the most egregious examples I've found. These are ALL pictures taken by me, outside the same store. Language definitely NSFW.

http://sneakyburrito.tumblr.com/

Derk of Derkholm

SB, most likely even the people who gave away those romance books would rather put them ON the bin (so someone else might pick them up) instead of putting them in the bin.

Before I switched over to eBooks, I typically put my old, no-longer-wanted books into a big bag and delivered it to the local library to make it their problem. They normally check which books they do not have and put those on their shelves where there might be interest (even paperbacks), and sell the others at 50 cents each.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
1. overt sexism thinly concealed as a 'joke'. I don't think that needs explaining.

2. societies notion of beautiful

3. that advertising is so pervasive

4. not having money :(

Sir Arthur

The parents of a child at my daughters preschool who requested the removal of the turtle they have in the classroom, due to the potential of diseases spread by said turtle.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
The parents of a child at my daughters preschool who requested the removal of the turtle they have in the classroom, due to the potential of diseases spread by said turtle.
Ha, my mom used to teach elementary school. She kept a rabbit in the classroom and it crapped all over the floor on a regular basis. No one complained even though that sounds pretty unsanitary to me... (I have a tortoise now. I haven't gotten any diseases from him, and I've had him for almost 10 years.)

For kids who don't have pets at home (that was never me, I doubt I've gone 1 day without a pet my entire life!), sometimes a classroom pet is the only experience they have with an animal. That can be a valuable teaching tool.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
For kids who don't have pets at home
They usually have asthma.
Pets boost up immune system, that is a fact.

Btw aren't diseases that are animal-human transferable really rare? I never heard anybody catching anything from a tortoise. They are more likely to catch all kind of bugs from their human classmates.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

Btw aren't diseases that are animal-human transferable really rare? I never heard anybody catching anything from a tortoise. They are more likely to catch all kind of bugs from their human classmates.
I know people who have kids without asthma who don't have pets. Mostly people who didn't grow up with pets, themselves. At any rate, I guess there are a variety of reasons why people might not have pets.

As for turtles/tortoises, there's a risk of salmonella transmission. Reptiles can carry it and not be affected, and if you touch them and then don't follow proper hygiene procedures, you could get sick. Or at least, that's what they say. I've never had a problem.

Derk of Derkholm

I agree that pets likely boost the immune system, but I hardly believe the assertion that most people who grow up without pets get asthma.

Maybe you are talking about allergies? Those are more common, and also, yes, here having pets can help.

But I agree, the danger of getting bitten by a rabid turtle (or, even worse, a were-turtle) should not be underestimated ;)

I would be more concerned with the healty and safety of the animal, actually ... living in the classroom and getting taken out by 20 kids every day who might not know how to properly handle the animals. My kids also wanted to have a turtle at one point, and I researched this a bit and was given the impression that getting a turtle and putting it into a box would be tantamount to turtle torture, unless you build him/her a habitat in your garden where s/he can roam and enjoy a wide variety of different terrains, have areas to sun and a heated retreat. So we adopted a rescue cat instead, because we thought it would be less hassle...

Best regards,
Andy