Dads Inc.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thought I'd set up a place for us Dads to come and discuss all things 'child'.

Sorry Mums - we need our own 'dad place' to get away from the rigours of fatherhood!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
So we've been putting our little girl (who's just over 7 months now) on blended solids for about a month and a bit now ... she eats EVERYTHING !! Tonight she had Mackerel, potato and broccoli puree ... I swear she eats better than us at times!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lentil, sweet potato and chicken mush tonight .... I wanted to throw some chilli in to see how she'd cope .. Mrs TTB wouldn't let me :(

Sir Arthur

Journeyed there and back again
Lentil, sweet potato and chicken mush tonight .... I wanted to throw some chilli in to see how she'd cope .. Mrs TTB wouldn't let me
My 4 year old will still eat anything in mush form. She thinks it's a treat. Greens, and veggies for a snack! Works out well, because she always eats her meat, but only eats her veggies in mush form most of the time. She's a carnivore. She still won't eat anything spicy, even just black pepper. We have to cook her meat separate, plain, and boring.
Last night she was forced to choke down grilled salmon. Poor kid. I would have thought she'd like it, you never can tell.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
We're starting with giving my 6 month old blended solids now. She likes it well enough, although she has to get used to the new texture a little bit.

Boreas

Staff member
You should give your toddlers lemon and tape their facial reactions. I bet it'll be funny. Chili is a bit much.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
You should give your toddlers lemon and tape their facial reactions. I bet it'll be funny. Chili is a bit much.
Haha, I've seen some of those internet vids. I wouldn't want to do that to my daughter just to get some laughs out of it though. Somehow this kinda stuff is always funny, until you imagine it happening to your loved ones (except for the cinnamon challenge of course, that shit is always funny). Besides, I have seen her screw her face up like that quite some times alreay. She really doesn't like any type of beans... :p

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was only joking about the chili .. not even I'm that cruel! I've just knocked out 9 portions of baby beef ragu (complete with baby size pasta shapes ... so cute!!). I'm warming to the lemon idea though .... :wtf:

Boreas

Staff member
Yeah, I got forwarded a video of a parent giving their toddler a slice of lemon, and while the baby made incredulous wtf! faces, he/she went back for more - loved the lemon actually. It was hilarious, a bite/slurp of the lemon, a crazy face signifying a brain shock from the sourness, and then back for another bite/slurp.

Anti_Quated

My youngest (6 months) threatens to shave off fingers with his ravenous maw any time yoghurt is offered to appease him. His initial enthusiasm for solids has only gained momentum, and when propitiating him with offerings of Avocado and breastmilk, he is a terrifying sight to behold, and I sometimes wonder how many millions of lives will be born, toil, and end under his merciless reign ;)

My little Viking boy (2.5yrs) has a Thomas the Tank engine bed. Literally, a plastic-moulded steam engine. Happily goes down for his day nap in it, but of an evening can be somewhat reticent, and always ends up in bed with his mother and I. He habitually buries hands, feet, shoulders, and elbows into sensitive parts of my spine pre and post-witching hour. I would not trade this for anything, either, despite my nocturnal grumblings and early-morning old-man creaks as I try and stretch it out.

wakarimasen

You should give your toddlers lemon
My Boy - 5 - loves raw lemon. He used to fish it out of my G&T and eat it. Always slept well after that.

We use the whole "mush" thing to try and get some goodness into our. Not sure about you guys, but getting them to eat anything is priority number one so getting healthy things into them becomes trickier. We fry up some garlic in olive oil then throw in some spinach, cauliflower and broccoli for a few mins. Then we blend it into green mush and serve it with pasta. They love it.

Stealth Veg. Way forward

buries hands, feet, shoulders, and elbows into sensitive parts of my spine pre and post-witching hour
Rule number one of child rearing: If it is uncomfortable for you, it is comfortable for them.

wakarimasen

Can you imagine the look on their faces when they had to get their birth certificates out for the first time for a passport?
It would have been the best long-burning gag of my life. <sighs>

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Granted she's only 7 months, but she's eaten everything we've put in front of her so far! Hope it stays the same, but somehow I doubt it!

Mind you, I think I've been graced with quite an easy-going baby! She's slept right through the night ever since she was 3 weeks old, she hasn't cried whilst teething (first 3 teeth, anyway) and loves all food!!

Anti_Quated

Karma has something in mind for the teenage years, don't you worry... ;)
My daughter is 9 next week, and already I can see the early warning system getting agitated with some of the furrowed brow and attitude she displays of late. I have some anxiety for the future as a result. It certainly will be interesting, yet with 3 already, my wife is openly covetous of having yet another. Granted, I take pride in fathering a strong and healthy progeny, but I struggle with the naming conventions, particularly with regard to naming our sons Odin, Tyr, Egil, Carnute, Ragnar, Asger, Calder, Eirik, and a whole slew of equally badarse Germanic names and epithets) - her common sense prevailed against my more eccentric predilections. Probably to the benefit of my sons.

I still wouldn't go near Moon Unit though. That is just a terrible, terrible name.

Stealth veg is an excellent tactic until they realise what you're up to, and then you have to disguise it visually beneath a small layer of cheese.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Today I went swimming with my wife and the baby. Until yesterday she had never swum before (the baby, not my wife), but she absolutely loved it right from the start. A big plus is that afterwards she was so exhausted that her normal 1 hour afternoon nap turned into a 3 hour long comatose sleep that allowed me and the misses to catch up on some activities :)brb:).

After she woke up she was very hungry, so we decided to let her try some salmon that we had for dinner. She started giggling like a maniac when we asked her if she would fancy a "vishap" (Dutch for "fish meal"). I'm glad she at least still thinks I'm funny (my wife was less delighted when I mentioned the word "vishap" during the aforementioned activities).

All in all, it was a great day. I'm sure you guys can relate when I say that at this age there seems to be a new discovery every day. Absolutely loving it. I wish I could be with my family like this all the time. If the financial situation would allow it I would definitely have no qualms with being a house-man.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Me too! My wife sends me a new photo of my daughter every day when I'm at work. I do really miss her during the week!

And still tried swimming yet. Not sure if she will like it, she's not a big fan of bath time!

Anti_Quated

Swimming lessons are an absolute joy. My wife always takes our little ones for their first several lessons for the mummy comfort aspect, but once they've settled in a bit I get my turn. It's hilarious watching them slowly learn to chug along on their own steam. My little Viking boy started soccer (football) a few weeks back, with an early-childhood sports group (2-4). He even got a little uniform and everything. Quiet pride and amusement spurred me to manly tears of appreciation and wonder at such a simple, yet profound, thing - my little guy is growing up. Nostalgia is heartache, albeit a pleasant one. I remember when I first held him in my arms, and now he's already racing around like mad on the soccer field in his jersey, big kicks and aeroplane celebrations and everything.

Being a father, and I'm sure you guys will agree, is the single most humbling, inspiring, and utterly rewarding experience. Not for everyone, of course, but waking in the early serenity before dawn breaks, and looking over to see the innocent, contented little look on my sons' faces (provided they're not jabbing limbs into my spine, face, throat, or stealing my pillow) is a rare treasure. I only hope the Gods see fit not to rob me of my memories and cognitive functions should I be fortunate enough to reach octogenarian status.

Having been a house-man at least once (was a single dad for a couple of years with my daughter) it can be hard work, but is damn sure a helluva lot of fun. My favourite was bushwalks - I made up a slew of short stories, on the fly, just to keep her entertained and amused, pointing out where the bush fairies lived, and the Madrigal Queen, and the secret empire of the Pyre-Wisps. Great fun.

Another one I enjoy is reading bedtime stories. My daughter and I covered LOTR and The Hobbit for the first time last year, despite her reading at a teenage level. Was nice just to share the experience with her, as she tends to prefer reading on her own now (loves Percy Jackson and Harry Potter).