Dads Inc.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Keep us posted on how things will work out for you wakarimasen. I never would have imagined me saying this, but I could definitely see myself as a stay-at-home-dad.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Daughter is poorly. I've just experienced full blown sickness and diarrhoea.

Oh. My. God.

Sick literally everywhere. Only two rooms in the house remain sick free. I'm just glad we'd decided to put off potty training until after Xmas!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Daughter is poorly. I've just experienced full blown sickness and diarrhoea.

Oh. My. God.

Sick literally everywhere. Only two rooms in the house remain sick free. I'm just glad we'd decided to put off potty training until after Xmas!
I don't have kids (and am not a guy) but this sounds like my dog over the weekend. I'm going to have to throw out another rug...

Tanniel

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I live with my brother and his daughter. When she was two, he was going away for several days, leaving me behind to take care of her. Our parents came up to stay for a few days to help and allow me time to work, though, so I figured it wasn't going to be that had. The same day he left, diarrhea. My mother tried to pick her up to go upstairs and change her diaper, but my poor, soiled, crying niece managed to sob through her tears, "No, only uncle can change me!" So even with two other adults in the house, I was stuck on diarrhea diaper duty for days.

Point of this was just to say, even though I'm not a parent, I feel your pain.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live with my brother and his daughter. When she was two, he was going away for several days, leaving me behind to take care of her. Our parents came up to stay for a few days to help and allow me time to work, though, so I figured it wasn't going to be that had. The same day he left, diarrhea. My mother tried to pick her up to go upstairs and change her diaper, but my poor, soiled, crying niece managed to sob through her tears, "No, only uncle can change me!" So even with two other adults in the house, I was stuck on diarrhea diaper duty for days.

Point of this was just to say, even though I'm not a parent, I feel your pain.
My daughter is unbelievably stubborn (she takes after her mother) but I've learnt to use this to my advantage. She will pretty much always want to do the opposite of, or something different to, what I tell her to do. So if she's filled her nappy with a particularly foul smelling emission, all I have to do is tell her that daddy is going to change her nappy for her, then she's absolutely insistent that my wife has to do it for her. These kind of things can therefore definitely work in your favour Tanniel :)

Thank you for the sympathy btw

Diziet Sma

I'm just glad we'd decided to put off potty training until after Xmas!
Oh, the joys of potty training. Seeing some parents running after their child armed with a potty and some stickers, always makes wonder who is training whom... Bon courage! (I'm sooo glad it isn't me this time);) and I really hope your little darling recovers soon. It is really exhausting...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Aw Tom. Hope she gets well soon.

And I definitely get what you mean. At this age every day is opposite-day. Over here we call it Toddler Puberty (sounds better in Dutch: Peuter-Puberteit).

I love it though. She is developing her own distinct personality. She also starts seeing herself as an individual ("I want to go for a walk", instead of the old "Caitlin wants to go for a walk").

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aw Tom. Hope she gets well soon.

And I definitely get what you mean. At this age every day is opposite-day. Over here we call it Toddler Puberty (sounds better in Dutch: Peuter-Puberteit).

I love it though. She is developing her own distinct personality. She also starts seeing herself as an individual ("I want to go for a walk", instead of the old "Caitlin wants to go for a walk").
Thanks. And yeah, definitely, her favourite phrase at the moment is "me do it" ... everything from taking her coat off to opening the door on the microwave, she's insistent she wants to do it herself!

Anti_Quated

Journeyed there and back again
I find it tremendously amusing to watch my youngest, just on 2 years old, as his exquisitely cheeky personality comes to the fore. He wanders about the house with all manner of terribly important tasks he must address promptly, and the way he engages in dialogue despite a colourfully divergent form of the English language punctuated with cheesy grins is pure comedy. That, and he's reached the egregiously endearing age now where he thinks he's real people, and that no-one notices anymore that he's still crapping himself openly, spreading food from hand to mouth and everything between, and grazes all day long like the quintessential bovine god demanding supplicatory foodstuffs.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
All of a sudden, without any discernible cause, my daughter has kept me and the missus awake at night for the past week. She has slept like a... baby ever since she was 4 months old. All the night through. From 7:30 til 7. Apart from the times when she was ill of course. But last week, ai ai ai. She already started after dinner: "I'm not going to bed. Never more. I'm going to cuddle and play with daddy." She was adamant. It was a trial to get her settled in. This was repeated for 6 days straight. Apparantly this is normal for a kid her age. Doctor says it's part of the aforementioned "Toddler Puberty". Seeking and stretching boudaries, developping her own (stubborn) personality. You know.

Anyways, as dads (and moms) all over the world can probably symphatise with, I went totally nuts during those nights out of sleep deprivation. Me and my wife have a policy of not getting her out of her bed when she's crying for attention (in all other cases; discomfort, pain, fear etc we do get her out of bed to comfort her). It has always worked like a charm and normally when she cries, she only does so for a couple of minutes. More like a stress relief than out of other motives really. Last week she was at it for hours at a time though. Drove us completely nuts. And then when we went in to check on her to see what the hysterics were all about she immediately stops crying and demands to be taken downstairs to play with her toys. Argh! Imagine that at 3 am at night and you have to work the next day.

<Note: now I know there are many opinions on how to properly raise a kid and this differs per country, culture and of course per parent. We -and many people here in the Netherlands- are of the opinion that it is better for the well-being of the child and its parents to let the kid cry at night when he/she does so for the sake of attention (after a certain age of course, you shouldn't let a baby cry). I know that many persons also hold different beliefs and for example let the kid sleep in between mommy and daddy when the child is fussy. Totally fine as well of course, I respect that. However, don't continue reading if this is the case, because the below information will not be relevant for you>

But now, fellow fathers of the fantasy fiction forum, salvation! We bought a Miffy (Nijntje) sleep trainer. I know, it sounds gimmicky, but the reviews were very positive. Here's the little bugger:

upload_2017-1-17_20-7-59.png

You can set the time and an alarm (with optional Miffy theme song wake-up call). After performing your "going to bed rituals" (brushing teeth, putting on pyjamas etc) just let your kid hit the green button and Miffy's eyes will close. They will open again at the time you set the alarm at (this also allows you to set it an hour later during the weekend: your kid will never know at this young age!) Tell your child that he/she can only call mom and dad when Miffy has opened her eyes, because that's when morning time has arrived.

And what do you know? It freaking works like a charm. It actually works. Yesterday evening we tried it for the first time. Caitlin was sceptical, but when she saw how the mechanism worked she was really enthusiastic. Me and my wife had a good night's sleep for the first time in about a week. And this evening (just put her to bed) it worked even faster. Caitlin walked up to Miffy herself and set the alarm without me even having to say it.

So here it is folks: if (or perhaps more accurately when) your child reaches the delicate age where she starts to rage against the machine, get your hands on a Miffy sleep-trainer. Highly recommended!

Diziet Sma

All of a sudden, without any discernible cause, my daughter has kept me and the missus awake at night for the past week. She has slept like a... baby ever since she was 4 months old. All the night through. From 7:30 til 7. Apart from the times when she was ill of course. But last week, ai ai ai. She already started after dinner: "I'm not going to bed. Never more. I'm going to cuddle and play with daddy." She was adamant. It was a trial to get her settled in. This was repeated for 6 days straight. Apparantly this is normal for a kid her age. Doctor says it's part of the aforementioned "Toddler Puberty". Seeking and stretching boudaries, developping her own (stubborn) personality. You know.

Anyways, as dads (and moms) all over the world can probably symphatise with, I went totally nuts during those nights out of sleep deprivation. Me and my wife have a policy of not getting her out of her bed when she's crying for attention (in all other cases; discomfort, pain, fear etc we do get her out of bed to comfort her). It has always worked like a charm and normally when she cries, she only does so for a couple of minutes. More like a stress relief than out of other motives really. Last week she was at it for hours at a time though. Drove us completely nuts. And then when we went in to check on her to see what the hysterics were all about she immediately stops crying and demands to be taken downstairs to play with her toys. Argh! Imagine that at 3 am at night and you have to work the next day.

<Note: now I know there are many opinions on how to properly raise a kid and this differs per country, culture and of course per parent. We -and many people here in the Netherlands- are of the opinion that it is better for the well-being of the child and its parents to let the kid cry at night when he/she does so for the sake of attention (after a certain age of course, you shouldn't let a baby cry). I know that many persons also hold different beliefs and for example let the kid sleep in between mommy and daddy when the child is fussy. Totally fine as well of course, I respect that. However, don't continue reading if this is the case, because the below information will not be relevant for you>

But now, fellow fathers of the fantasy fiction forum, salvation! We bought a Miffy (Nijntje) sleep trainer. I know, it sounds gimmicky, but the reviews were very positive. Here's the little bugger:

View attachment 861

You can set the time and an alarm (with optional Miffy theme song wake-up call). After performing your "going to bed rituals" (brushing teeth, putting on pyjamas etc) just let your kid hit the green button and Miffy's eyes will close. They will open again at the time you set the alarm at (this also allows you to set it an hour later during the weekend: your kid will never know at this young age!) Tell your child that he/she can only call mom and dad when Miffy has opened her eyes, because that's when morning time has arrived.

And what do you know? It freaking works like a charm. It actually works. Yesterday evening we tried it for the first time. Caitlin was sceptical, but when she saw how the mechanism worked she was really enthusiastic. Me and my wife had a good night's sleep for the first time in about a week. And this evening (just put her to bed) it worked even faster. Caitlin walked up to Miffy herself and set the alarm without me even having to say it.

So here it is folks: if (or perhaps more accurately when) your child reaches the delicate age where she starts to rage against the machine, get your hands on a Miffy sleep-trainer. Highly recommended!
Congratulations Miffy!!!
I don't want to spoil your fun, but it might be that after Miffys novelty wears off, your precious darling might decide to go back to night singing.
I work with very young kids, 1.5 years old onwards and, although mine are within the autism spectrum, the same principle applies to ALL: ignore bad behaviour, reinforce the good one.
These little intelligent creatures know how to manipulate, control and pretty much do as they like with mum and dad. Stick to it if it goes back... Courage! In the meantime enjoy your sleep!:)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Congratulations Miffy!!!
I don't want to spoil your fun, but it might be that after Miffys novelty wears off, your precious darling might decide to go back to night singing.
I work with very young kids, 1.5 years old onwards and, although mine are within the autism spectrum, the same principle applies to ALL: ignore bad behaviour, reinforce the good one.
These little intelligent creatures know how to manipulate, control and pretty much do as they like with mum and dad. Stick to it if it goes back... Courage! In the meantime enjoy your sleep!:)
Thanks, that really helped. It's disturbing to see how desperate you can get from sheer lack of sleep. It's the single thing I underestimated before I became a dad (everything else about being a father is simply amazing).

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 861

This has petrified me! Mine has slept solidly pretty much every night since she was about 10 weeks old. If that changed all of a sudden I'd be devastated! Think I might buy a Miffy just in case ...

She has reached the stage though where she's 'playing' us. And she's becoming very stubborn, but I'm just putting that down to her being related to her mother!

Diziet Sma

Thanks, that really helped. It's disturbing to see how desperate you can get from sheer lack of sleep. It's the single thing I underestimated before I became a dad (everything else about being a father is simply amazing).
Best thing ever but sleep deprivation is simply torture...:dummy:

Sir Arthur

Journeyed there and back again
When dealing with things of this nature, I use a trick passed down through my family for ages. I apply whiskey directly to my gums. My preferred method is to simply pour it generously over my gums. Works every time!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
The embarrassment commences!

Queuing in shop.

Daughter, looking up at woman stood next to us in queue: "Daddy, is that a lady"

Me: "Yes darling"

Daughter: "She looks like a smelly poo Daddy"

!!!!!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Took her to see the new Peppa Pig movie yesterday.

Torture. Absolute incomparable torture.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Took her to see the new Peppa Pig movie yesterday.

Torture. Absolute incomparable torture.
Peppa is pretty hot though right?