Dark fantasy with byzantine plot

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
So I think what he wants is something complicated with a lot of backstabbing and plotting and so forth. Not necessarily violence (though dark fantasy often has some violence).

The closest I'm thinking of is Game of Thrones. There's a lot of plotting going on there in the upper echelons of governments/society. It's dark in tone.

paragan

Possibly a Darkfriend
So I think what he wants is something complicated with a lot of backstabbing and plotting and so forth. Not necessarily violence (though dark fantasy often has some violence).

The closest I'm thinking of is Game of Thrones. There's a lot of plotting going on there in the upper echelons of governments/society. It's dark in tone.
I liked Game of Thrones, Prince of Nothing, Malazan Book of the Fallen - but cannot find something similar - good books are The First Law trilogy - not enough complicated, Kingkiller Chronicles - its great but one man show, Cooks Black Company - hero is doctor+author jump over interesting parts :(, Wheel of Time - sometimes even author dont know where heroes go ...

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I liked Game of Thrones, Prince of Nothing, Malazan Book of the Fallen - but cannot find something similar - good books are The First Law trilogy - not enough complicated, Kingkiller Chronicles - its great but one man show, Cooks Black Company - hero is doctor+author jump over interesting parts :(, Wheel of Time - sometimes even author dont know where heroes go ...
OK, now we know a little bit of what you've read, maybe we'll have better suggestions.

Glen Cook's Dread Empire is a little rough in places but has a bit more political maneuvering than Black Company, and it's not written annals-style, so maybe less stuff is "jumped over?" Some of it's pretty bleak too (if you get into the parts with Haroun bin Yousif's and Bragi Ragnarson's earlier days, especially).

Maybe you'd like J.V. Jones's Sword of Shadows. By the 4th book, there are quite a few plot lines. She's a bit bleak and not always predictable. Not quite up there with Game of Thrones or Malazan, but worth a look.

Brandon Sanderson isn't necessarily dark, but Way of Kings looks like it will be pretty complicated, and it had a different feel -- to me -- than some of his other books. Only one book is out, though.

You might try Paul Kearney, either Monarchies of God or Macht Trilogy. Macht isn't terribly complicated, though. Monarchies of God has a bit more going on and might be more your style.

There are some suggestions. Hope one of them will work for you.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
author jump over interesting parts
made me laugh aloud!

The Assassini by Jon Courtney Grimwood trilogy has a lot of plotting, if you are the kind of person who likes to puzzle things out and guess what is coming up it might not enjoy it as much as i did.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I also thought of the Engineer Trilogy by KJ Parker after I posted last night. KJ Parker isn't my thing, but the allegiances in those books are complicated and shift pretty fast, and I'd consider the books fairly dark.

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
Maybe you'd like J.V. Jones's Sword of Shadows. By the 4th book, there are quite a few plot lines. She's a bit bleak and not always predictable. Not quite up there with Game of Thrones or Malazan, but worth a look.
This is a good rec if you like complicated plots and I agree that it's not predictable - the plot twists in a very similar style to that of ASOIAF. It is even written by an author who takes a ridiculously long time to put out sequels. lol. By the way, has anyone heard when J.V. Jones will be putting out the next installment? The last I heard, it was supposed to be late 2012, but that never happened.