Dark Souls 2

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
My reading has taken a hell of a battering over the last few days, just like me in Dark Souls. Anyone else playing this game, and what are your thoughts on it ?

I've feel like I've put a lot of time in to but haven't got very far, but I'm enjoying it more than Dark Souls so that's a good thing.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I'm playing dark souls 2 whilst ocassionally reading some conan. they're all short stories so I can read it when I'm tired of dying or before bed.
That way I can still get some reading done whilst fully concentrating on the game. Which is very nice.

I'm almost done with the first playthrough. just 3 more bosses. then all over again. In most aspects it's better than it's predeccessors.
and while people have been complaining about a downscaled difficulty level, i'm not noticing it myself. Loving it. :)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember buying the first one HoF, and I couldn't get past the very first level, after numerous attempts. It went straight on ebay.

The silver lining was that I sold it for more than I paid for it, as there was pretty high demand for it.

Hand of Fear

I remember buying the first one HoF, and I couldn't get past the very first level, after numerous attempts.
They can be hard to get in to, and the difficulty can be quite high and I think a lot of younger gamers these will be put off by this.

Lev Daert what class did you go, and do you have any tips ? I'm still quite early on in the game and haven't done any of the bosses yet, I'm still exploring The Forest of Fallen Giants and have just been given the key to the mansion.

sopranosfan

They can be hard to get in to, and the difficulty can be quite high and I think a lot of younger gamers these will be put off by this.

Lev Daert what class did you go, and do you have any tips ? I'm still quite early on in the game and haven't done any of the bosses yet, I'm still exploring The Forest of Fallen Giants and have just been given the key to the mansion.
I tried Demons Souls and I gave up. I have been gaming since NES and remember brutal difficulty games but I just couldn't take how easy it was to die, how far you went back, and the loss of souls. It never felt like they were cheap deaths but I just couldn't deal with it so I haven't went back to any of the games.

Hand of Fear

how easy it was to die, how far you went back, and the loss of souls.
This can be very annoying, and sometimes I did feel that your deaths could be cheap, but a lot of the time they are caused by the player either pushing to far ahead or getting overconfident. The game seems to almost know when the player is doing this, and beats you down hard to put you back in place.

They have changed the deaths a little bit in the game to, when you die you still have one chance of getting your souls back but each time you die your health goes down a bit to. Though it want go lower than 50% of your total health, the enemies also respawn but they do eventually stop spawning in an area if you have over farmed them.

It's been awhile since a game has made me want to play it more than reading, and this game has done that. Everytime I play I get a little futher on in the game, and open up another area I beat the first boss last night which took me four times which wasn't bad for me and I know where the second one is, this game so far is a lot better than Dark Souls.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus

I went with warrior class, I love me some swords and I barely use magic if I can help it. And most bosses can be killed by just learning the move patterns and learning when to roll or block. but later on I must admit I just started spamming pyromancies; Some of the later bosses (read; very last few) were just a little too obnoxious for my taste:)
Now that i'm doing Ng+ I find myself constantly resorting to fire tactics though. some of the bosses get some really appaling boosts, like added enemies in the bossfight room.

One of the benefits of using the Pyromancy flame Glove (weapon to use pyromancies with) is that there doesn't seem to be a prerequisite amount of intelligence or faithpoints for it. as long as you find the spell you can use it. So I had more points to spend in the strength and dexterity department. Downside is of course that the spells are sometimes a little out of the way to find, especially the better ones like Chaos Flame and the like.

One tip: when you die, take a small break.
I know. :p but it does wonders for me, so far the tombstone in majula says I dies like 468 times. that's alot of breaks.:)

And I did look up tactics for some of the later bosses, the ancient dragon ( per example) is barely possible to do when you don't know what you're doing. So looking around what to do is always an option, for me at least.

Hand of Fear

I went with warrior class, I love me some swords and I barely use magic if I can help it.
I picked the knight, but wish I choose the warrior class instead I know there's not much difference between the two but I think the warrior has more points in strength and dexterity.

I went a mage in Demon Souls and a pyromancer in Dark Souls so usually used mainly magic, but felt I have been missing out on some of the swords, heavy armour ect. I have yet to finish DS though and just couldn't get in to the game at all and I felt it was more of a chore.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
My wife got me the game for my birthday. I like it just about as much as both Demon's Souls (which I beat) and Dark Souls (which I almost beat, then lost the disc to). That is to say, I hate them all, but I love them too.

I had a moment of grave recklessness when I started DS2, and I started as a Deprived. Not the smartest thing I've ever done. I've since gotten past that difficulty spike though, and I'm moving along fairly well.

I'm in the Lost Bastille right now. The Ruin Sentinels and The Pursuer are my next conquests. At this point, I'm playing the game very, very cautiously, clearing areas up to the boss fight so that I minimize my souls lost and maximize my level. I'm about soul level 68.

I'm going as a bruiser, which is what I did for the other games. Magic in these games just holds no interest for me for some reason. I want high endurance, high strength, and a high equip rating. My mace+5 is serving me quite well.

Great, great games. They're the only video games that can hold my attention these days (except for League of Legends, but that's a different story.)

Zymologist

Has anybody else had trouble with the Belfry Gargoyles? I'd heard some people talk about The Pursuer and the Ruin Sentinels as though they were nearly impossible, but I had less trouble with them (though they were still far from easy) than I'm having with the Gargoyles. The Lost Sinner, even, wasn't too bad IMO, but these Gargoyles...just obnoxious.

Still using my mace, and haven't had any inclination to switch yet (though I did just unpetrify Straid and get a whole bunch of boss weapons, so we'll see...). I'm pushing soul level 90 now, and since my strength is over 40, I think I'm actually doing appreciable damage with this mace.

Hand of Fear

Zymologist funny you should post this, I just defeated them tonight on my first try (this doesn't happen often for me at all). I think my SL is around a 100, I used the lightning spear spell which seemed to do decent enough damage, threw a few fireballs and then I dodge around a bit and finished them off with my broadsword.

I didn't have much health left by the end of this though and my esther flask is at 7, which I had used all of. If you want I can check my stats tomorrow and post them on here for you ?

Also how do you get more ingredients to unpetrify people, can't remember where I got the last one.

Zymologist

Interesting. I thought I'd heard that they were resistant to lightning, but maybe I'm just underestimating the power of spells. Still, I have this strange aversion to spells in Dark Souls...I feel like I'm just wasting stat points if I put them anywhere but Strength, Endurance, or Vitality. ;) I have 6 Estus Flasks at +2 right now, but my problem with the Gargoyles isn't a lack of those, but not having the time to down them. I find myself sticking to Lifegems more in boss battles, because they have a shorter animation.

I've only gotten the one branch, right after the Lost Sinner. Not sure where to get more.

I may try for the Gargoyles again, but I'm thinking I'm just going to buy the Silvercat ring and fall down the well and progress that way.

Hand of Fear

Lightning seems to be quite powerful it was what I used on the Sentinels to, the Gargoyles are resistant to fire though as my fireball spell didn't do much. I think they just need to be picked off one at a time (seems so simple, saying that), they seem quite easy to evade though and the only real problem I had was when they took off and jumped on top of me, they do seem easier to pick off though when they spew fire on you from the ground and you can get one or two hits in from behind.

Still, I have this strange aversion to spells in Dark Souls...I feel like I'm just wasting stat points if I put them anywhere but Strength, Endurance, or Vitality
I started off putting most of my points in to Strength and Endurance. I think the rewards for endurance drop off at around 22, so I have left it at that and started putting points in to Faith and attunement. So I'm mainly a strength build with faith, rather than a faith build with strength.

Last edited:

Zymologist

Couldn't wait until tomorrow, here are my stats.

SL 103

VGR 30
END 22
VIT 10
ATN 14
STR 26
DEX 15
ADP 11
INT 3
FTH 25
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I think mine are something like:

VGR 9
END 37
VIT 25 (I can't remember this one...it might be higher. I think my equip rating is in the mid-70's, if that tells you anything.)
STR 41
DEX 16

And minimums for everything else. :)

Zymologist

I did beat it, yes. Beat every optional boss except for the Darklurker, and I've started my NG+. I liked it! It was big, and had some really cool bosses. It also had some bosses that were somewhat disappointing (Covetous Demon), and some others that I thought were just downright cheap (Royal Rat Authority).

Still, great game. I'm slowly making my way through NG+. I just came to the Flexile Sentry, in fact. Dadgum, did they make that boss fight ridiculous in NG+. :) I walked in, had just enough time to recognize that the Flexile Sentry wasn't actually the only one in the room anymore, and then died.

Hand of Fear

Good job at beating it, I think I'm coming the end as I've got to the castle. I think there maybe a few areas where I could explore a little bit more though. Over all I like this game much better than Dark Souls, really couldn't get in to that game.

Zymologist

There's a dirty melee trick for fighting the Ancient Dragon, if/when you decide to take him on. He's a bit of a beast, since pretty much every attack will one-hit you and he has a huge health bar, so let me know if you want to know how I did it.