December 2016: What SF books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Dec 1, 2016.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Finished Red Dwarf. Gave it 5* on GR .. really enjoyed it .. extremely funny and superbly narrated.

Also just finished A Game of Battleships (to achieve my 52 book GR challenge :)) .. Not the best in the Space Captain Smith series but brilliantly written and also very funny .. gave it 4*.

Now I've just purchased the final book in the Inheritance Trilogy by our Jo ... will be starting this one next before moving onto the final book of Space Captain Smith.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Is this some kind of tie-in with that awesome TV show?

3. Elvira

Elvira Became a Faceless Man

Finished The Forge of God by G Bear. Very good indeed. It has very mixed reviews; however, I enjoyed its concept along with its narrative style, reminiscent of journalistic writing. This hasn't been in detriment of the characterization. Those chapters dealing with the personal drama are done beautifully and very emotionally. I will pick up its sequel Anvil of Stars very soon.

4. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Yes. It's basically the introduction to all things Red Dwarf, and how the crew came to be on the Red Dwarf. Really funny and if you liked the series you'll like the book. Strongly recommend the audiobook! There are a few RD books, check out my GR page for the exact one I've just read :)

5. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Thanks Tom. I'm a big fan of Red Dwarf tv show. I'll check it out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Elvira, that book really affected me and I think about it often. I think the way he wrote it may have contributed to that but I hadn't thought about it that way until you mentioned the style.

7. Elvira

Elvira Became a Faceless Man

I fully understand what you mean. I have also found it very impacting. Bear doesn't dwell on sentimentalism per se, but when the story requires it, he just delivers it in a very meaningful and elegant manner. I found the last few chapters (Dies Irae) rather overwhelming.
    Have you also read Anvil of Stars? What's your opinion?

8. kenubrion

I started it right away after finishing Forge and then put it down for some reason. I will probably get back to it.

9. ofer

ofer Journeyed there and back again

Still continuing my Richard Morgan quest. After having a lot of fun with his Takeshi Kovacs books, decided to read the rest of his SF. Finished Market Forces which was a really cool concept with a lot of action, and now reading Thirteen (or Black Man, as it was originally published in the UK).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Having finished the first scifi book in my chronological tour of all t he major hits in scifi (frankenstein) I have decided to move on to the next... Verne and wells. War of the world's and the time machine.

I found a treasure in this book. It was printed in 1962 (1890s original) and I found the stub of a check book. It has a calender on the back 1965. With many dates circled. And a Santa on the front.

11. kenubrion

Hey Bier, I saw your post about not liking Frankenstein in another thread and wanted to ask you what you didn't like. That and Wuthering Heights (The Semaphore Version) are favorites of mine and I've read the latter several times. Thanks.

12. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I love wuthering heights. (But like smoke signal version of gentleman prefer blondes better)

Frankenstein was tedious. (Ignoring for a moment that it is touted as the first scifi. And it's barely core. (OK maybe it is scifi. But I did expect more than "I know how to science, I make man" in the explanation. It's barely a paragraph.)) It droned on and on about topics and events that never had any real significance to the plot.

As Tolstoy said (I think it was leo) " don't put a gun above the mantle unless someone is going to use it"

13. kenubrion

Ok, thanks. I admit it's been a very long time since I read it and I would also feel that way about it.

14. Myles Alexander

Myles Alexander A farm boy with a sword

A book called "Rings of Polaris" from a guy called Paul Alan... a great read... kind of like blade runner

15. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

Have finished @jo zebedee 's "Abendau's Legacy' and liked it as much as the earlier two books!

Now reading "The Aeronaut's Windlass" again in the (likely unrealistic) hope that it will motivate Jim Butcher to write "The Olympian Affair" faster ...

• Like Like x 2