December! What fantasy books are you reading?

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
"The Skein of Lament", second book of The Braided Path by Chris Wooding...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
As stated in the November thread, I've just started on Anaimon: the Starfall by renowned fantasy author Timothy Nancarrow. Liking it so far (although time reckoning is a bit difficult to understand. How many days is a span? And a crescent?). I love Tim's erudition. I'm discovering new English words on every other page or so.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Sounds like Steven Erikson all over again. My book is in the mail according to Bookdepository so I'm eagerly awaiting.
Be warned: it may take a while for your book to arrive. Mine took about two and a half weeks to be delivered (the site said it would take about 5 business days).

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Stuck on Aeronaut's Windlass. I am having a hard time getting into this. Usually I think Jim Butcher is great. But I don't like airship battles. I think that is the problem.

Blew through Alloy of Law and am a good way through Shadows of Self. Next up is Bands of Mourning because I have an e-ARC that is expiring in a bit. I think these are not the best written books (in Alloy, when Wax is reading broadsheets to get up to speed on the train robberies after coming back to town is just painful), but they are fun and fast-paced and apparently that is what I'm in the mood for right now.

kenubrion

I'm about halfway through The Thousand Names and really liking it. I've had it waiting well over a year from a daily deal purchase and I would have read it sooner if I had known it was military action with military action on the side and military action for dessert.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Reread of The Great Hunt. Third of the way through it so far. Stopped listening to Midnight Tides as i got a quarter through it and it was putting me to sleep. I'd like to pick up the WhisperSync versions of the Wheel of Time but they are roughly $18 per book (22 for the final book) and it seems a little silly to spend $256 (18*13+22) to repurchase books I already own just so I can listen to it and sync the place on my Kindle (that's what WhisperSync is, if you didn't know- you can listen to the Audible book as well as read on your Kindle and it syncs your place regardless of medium). If I reread the series every year I suppose that would be money well spent as I'd be able to read them much, much faster. Very cool technology though.

Derk of Derkholm

@May Francisco , first of all, welcome to the forum!

Tell us a little about what you like, then maybe we can make some suggestions. We do great series here....

sopranosfan

I just finished listening to Crucible of Souls by Hogan and reminded me why I try to finish books I start. The first half was ok but he spent a lot of time explaining Dominion games without ever really explaining it. But the second half was quite good.
I also finished reading The Witcher: Baptism of Fire and I honestly wasn't that impressed with it. One thing is, I really like Ciri's story and she was barely mentioned. I also can't help but think part of my problem with the book is the translation. Some of it seems pretty well written and then all of a sudden there are parts that have a lot of small simple sentences.

I have started Turn Coat by Butcher and I am listening to a short story by Neil Gaiman, The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains.

Derk of Derkholm

Well, some of the most popular series here on the forum are (From: The New BFB Ranking Thread)

Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson
A Song of Ice and Fire ("Game of Thrones") by George R.R. Martin
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steve Erikson
Lifeship Traders by Robin Hobb (although I would suggest to replace this with the "Farseer" trilogy that precedes it)
Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook
Raven's Shadow by Anthony Ryan and
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

Best regards,
Andy

Darwin

The list that Derk linked is a great resource, but I would treat it as a complement to Ben's fantastic lists on the main site (bestfantasybooks.com). The BFB ranking thread is probably a less biased grading of each book/series, since it's an average of many passionate fantasy fans, but the lists on the main site come with Ben's synopsis for each book, which is extremely helpful for finding the book that suits your mood the best. He also has exceptional taste.

There's been a recent trend toward 'grimdark' fantasy, a counterpoint to traditional heroic fantasy with a purely good hero who wins and an all-powerful purely evil enemy who loses. Grimdark tends to have a cynical world view and often injects humor into tragic circumstances. I consider ASoIaF (aka Game of Thrones) to be grimdark, though some would disagree. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The Hound has captured Arya Stark and dragged her halfway across the continent through incredible danger to himself in order to ransom her to her aunt. This is what happens when they finally arrive (spoiler, I suppose):

Anyways, the reason I bring this up is because this dark fantasy is really aimed at people who are very experienced with the genre. Despite the high rankings, if you haven't read a lot of traditional heroic fantasy you're a lot less likely to enjoy The First Law trilogy, for example. In my opinion, Wheel of Time, Kingkiller Chronicles, and everything by Brandon Sanderson are great places to start if you're new to the genre.