December! What fantasy books are you reading?

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
Been on a break trying to decide what to read. Wasn't sure whether to re-read a series or start something new. Ultimately decided it is time to give Malazan a 2nd chance. So will be starting Gardens of the Moon tonight. I hope I can get more into it this time through because I own most of the books and love a large series. I think I made it to book 4 or 5 the first time I tried it.

michaeljtobias

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
Been on a break trying to decide what to read. Wasn't sure whether to re-read a series or start something new. Ultimately decided it is time to give Malazan a 2nd chance. So will be starting Gardens of the Moon tonight. I hope I can get more into it this time through because I own most of the books and love a large series. I think I made it to book 4 or 5 the first time I tried it.
I originally picked up GoTM about 2 years ago and couldn't get into it. It just drops you into the middle of this enormously complex world and the multiple characters, including several who are actually not who they appear to be...it's daunting. The thing that changed for me were audio books. After taking a vacation where I drove 6k miles and listening to a few audio books (Hyperion was one), I got hooked. The narrator for the first 3 Malazan books is phenomenal (Ralph Lister?). Now I'm both reading and listening to various books. People ask me all the time if I get confused, but oddly, I don't. I can go a couple of weeks without listening to a particular book and then pick it up right where I left off and be caught up in no time. It's changed my book consumption.

Cyphon

I originally picked up GoTM about 2 years ago and couldn't get into it. It just drops you into the middle of this enormously complex world and the multiple characters, including several who are actually not who they appear to be...it's daunting. The thing that changed for me were audio books. After taking a vacation where I drove 6k miles and listening to a few audio books (Hyperion was one), I got hooked. The narrator for the first 3 Malazan books is phenomenal (Ralph Lister?). Now I'm both reading and listening to various books. People ask me all the time if I get confused, but oddly, I don't. I can go a couple of weeks without listening to a particular book and then pick it up right where I left off and be caught up in no time. It's changed my book consumption.
I might give that a shot if Gardens of the Moon doesn't end favorably with me lol.

Darwin

That's not a bad idea. I've tried Malazan twice and gave up 2 or 3 books in each time. However, I absolutely love audiobooks, and I can see how that might help immerse me in the Malazan characters.

You sure are helpful right off the bat, @michaeljtobias. Welcome to our grim, dark, nerdy world!

@Alucard, your avatar is just about the most distracting and disturbing thing on this forum right now. I'm going to have nightmares about that demon santa spraying tea out of his nose.

michaeljtobias

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
That's not a bad idea. I've tried Malazan twice and gave up 2 or 3 books in each time. However, I absolutely love audiobooks, and I can see how that might help immerse me in the Malazan characters.

You sure are helpful right off the bat, @michaeljtobias. Welcome to our grim, dark, nerdy world!
Well, thank you kindly. I try to be helpful whenever I can :) And it definitely is Ralph Lister and I promise, you'll be amazed at how immersed you become...he's fantastic at doing voices. His characterization of Kruppe alone will have you guffawing.

Cyphon

Actually you know what? I am just going to with the audiobooks during the summer with this one. Might as well try that first since I know I didn't like reading the books the first time. Might run through Night Angel instead.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
I (too) finished The Many Deaths of the Black Company, which has the last two Black Company books in it, Water Sleeps and Soldiers Live. And of course I loved it, but it's sad the series appears to be over. I guess he could write more, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think I have one more book in the Dread Empire series left, but I'm probably not going to read that next. Actually, not sure what to read next...

Ryan W. Mueller

Finished two fantasy books today.

The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding. If you love Steampunk (and even if you don't), you should read this series. It is some of the most exciting fantasy of any flavor that you'll find. I loved the first two books. This one took things to a whole other level. Probably the best book I've read this year.

Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Lawrence is a brilliant writer. I respect him very much for being great at what he does. Unfortunately, after reading all three books, I have to say that reading about Jorg just doesn't do it for me. At all.

I really enjoyed Prince of Fools, though. The main character worked a lot better for me.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished two fantasy books today.

The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding. If you love Steampunk (and even if you don't), you should read this series. It is some of the most exciting fantasy of any flavor that you'll find. I loved the first two books. This one took things to a whole other level. Probably the best book I've read this year.

Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Lawrence is a brilliant writer. I respect him very much for being great at what he does. Unfortunately, after reading all three books, I have to say that reading about Jorg just doesn't do it for me. At all.

I really enjoyed Prince of Fools, though. The main character worked a lot better for me.
Completely agree with you regarding both books! Oh, and The Ace of Skulls is even better imo, I hope you feel the same way when you get round to it!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
@Alucard, your avatar is just about the most distracting and disturbing thing on this forum right now. I'm going to have nightmares about that demon santa spraying tea out of his nose.
Some people like it including me :p, but you can use adblock if it disturbs you so much.

On topic I've read one Malazan book (MoI I think, not sure) by listening to it. It was really good. Ralph Lister is a great narrator. But I remember seeing that they changed the narrator from book 4 (House of Chains) to Michael Page. I hate when they do that, changing narrators in the middle of the series, but there that is. Maybe Michael Page is good narrator too, but I just hate the idea of having to get used to different pronunciations.
I think the publisher did something like that with Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne, and there was such outcry by the fans to bring back Luke Daniels, and they did. There are IDC audiobooks by some Christopher Ragland, but nobody cares. For example there are 82 reviews of Tricked (IDC #4) by Ragland and 7375 reviews of Tricked by Daniels on Audible. And I get that so much. To me and to a lot of people Luke's voice is the voice of Atticus and Oberon.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I finished Steel, Blood and Fire this morning by Allan B, and two things spring immediately to mind.

1) Why is this not available in major bookstores across the globe?
2) Vykers surely would come out victorious if we were to have another 'fantasy character elimination tournament'? He's 100x more badass than Ninefingers :)

Suffice to say I thoroughly enjoyed this; there were a couple things that I had minor issues with (the main one being The-End-of-All-Things just didn't come across as evil as he should have imo, more of a caricature of an 'evil one' - maybe this was the point, idk), but on the whole it's one of the better books I've read this year. I'd give it 8.5/10. Thank you @ABatch :)

I'll start the sequel to this soon, but for now I've picked up the Paladin Caper, book #3 of the Rogues of the Republic series by Patrick Weekes.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
if we were to have another 'fantasy character elimination tournament'?
ooh, it's due Tom. The 2016 is just a couple more months from now.

sopranosfan

I am about 4 hours into listening to Blood of Innocents by Mitchell Hogan. So far it's been pretty good. I am enjoying it pretty well.

Kalavan

Finished Cameron's The Red Knight a very interesting book with many, perhaps even too many, good characters and some of the better written and most realistic battle scenes I've ever read.

The rhytm slow down a little bit too much around the central part, and I could've done without a couple of the POV - that are probably going to become more important in the following books, but for the moment weren't really much interesting - but the second part of the book is nothing short of amazing.

Probably going to read the 2nd book of this series during the holidays, now looking for something quicker

EDIT: scratch that, started @ABatch Steel, Blood & Fire (god, I really hate an & in a title, but that's just a pet peeve o'mine), liked the various characters' introductions, especially Spirk's one

Last edited:

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Made it to The Dragon Reborn, book 3 of my WoT reread. Will likely pick Malazan back up early next year and try to polish it off on audible, while I read WoT on my kindle.

ofer

Finished The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan. Unlike Tom, I thouroughly enjoyed the book. Dark, well written and full of action. I particularly appriciated the way Morgan, despite his world having a rich history, does not infodumps you straight out of the gate, but instead lets you have the info as it becomes relevant.

All in all, very much recommended, especially if you are into gritty fantasy. This is one series I will continue with. I am in Central America for the forseeable future, but if anyone in Europe/UK wants to read it all they have to do is let @TomTB know to what address to send the books.:p

Just a warning: This book is not for the faint-hearted. Sex scenes, both straight and gay, are extremely detailed and graphic - maybe too much graphic. On this particular parameter, Morgan is sort of the anti-Sanderson. :wideyed:

Cyphon

Just finished up The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. This was one of my earlier forays into fantasy and I remember really enjoying it. Since that time when I have seen it talked about it was classified on occasion as sort of "popcorn" fantasy. I started to buy into that because my memories were mainly of awesome powers and cool action. I have no re-read it for the first time and I would have to disagree with that assessment. While those things are certainly still true, there is more to be found that just all action fast paced fantasy. The main characters were given plenty of depth and grey area, there is sufficient time give to the plot and backstory and decent development in character relationships.

With that being said, because of how much I enjoyed this book I really would have liked to see it slowed down and more time taken with the character relationships and some of the backstory. There were time-skips on a couple of occasions that just happened from one page to the next that felt kind of clunky and character pov's seemed to pop up kind of at random to help fill in the story. I wouldn't say any of this hurt my enjoyment of the book, but they are things that kept it from being perfect. Otherwise I enjoyed every page and think this book (still holding out judgement on the entire series until I finish it) should get a lot more love.

9/10

Himanshi Goyal

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
I've stopped reading fantasy for a month. :(
What are some books similar to skulduggery pleasant series/the mortal instruments series?
Please,Help? :(