Diagrams of story structure

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
Very cool. However neutrinos don't travel faster than light. Tachyons (which are only theoretical and there's no proof that they exist) travel faster than light. Neutrinos move at the speed of light.:cool:

I know nothing about screenplay writing so this was a real education.

Matticus Primal

Journeyed there and back again
Very cool. However neutrinos don't travel faster than light. Tachyons (which are only theoretical and there's no proof that they exist) travel faster than light. Neutrinos move at the speed of light.:cool:

I know nothing about screenplay writing so this was a real education.
Wow, you learn something every day; in this case about neutrinos. In my defense (and after some googling), I learned that joke around 2010, which means they still thought neutrinos were faster than light at the time. So I'm going to leave the joke as it is because that's how I learned it and I'm all about traditions. But I'm going to add another footnote about how I've since been corrected. So how should I cite you in it?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Cephalophore

A farm boy with a sword
I've always found it ridiculous how a lot of these 'story structure' diagrams you see feature a perfect equilateral triangle, implying that the climax happens in the exact middle of the story. When was the last time a story featured the climax in it's exact middle? 415 BC?

Sparrow

I've always found it ridiculous how a lot of these 'story structure' diagrams you see feature a perfect equilateral triangle, implying that the climax happens in the exact middle of the story. When was the last time a story featured the climax in it's exact middle? 415 BC?
Are you talking about a 'premature' climax?

Matticus Primal

You must be referring to Freytag's story structure, which isn't exactly drawn to scale. In terms of screenplay structure the climax comes around page 100 in a 110 page work, so the peak's about 91% of the way through.

Cephalophore

A farm boy with a sword
You must be referring to Freytag's story structure, which isn't exactly drawn to scale. In terms of screenplay structure the climax comes around page 100 in a 110 page work, so the peak's about 91% of the way through.
Yes I was. Apparently Freytag based that pyramid on his analysis of ancient Greek plays. But I'm not familiar with them enough to remember if they actually had climaxes in the exact middle or not.

Tanniel

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Yes I was. Apparently Freytag based that pyramid on his analysis of ancient Greek plays. But I'm not familiar with them enough to remember if they actually had climaxes in the exact middle or not.
From what I recall, it varies a bit, but they would generally have the climaxes early in the second half; not as late as modern movies. There has to be time to really go into detail with how tragic all of this is and whip the audience into a frenzy of tears.