Disturbed - The Sound of Silence

Tanniel

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Big fan of it as well; plus I like how different it is from the original version, meaning you can listen to both and enjoy them for their different qualities.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
This was hyped on the "alternative" station here about 6 months ago. Heard it over and over and over again. They kind of ruin songs by overplaying them, it's just what they do.

(I actually do like this version, though...)

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
I thought I was the only in the world who hated this cover... thank you @jo zebedee
The original was hauntingly beautiful. with its minimalistic approach to the background music, it echoes the subject matter.

I was first shocked that disturbed was still making music; they received so much blowback during the autotuning protest period I thought they were ruined. But....

The song sounds too upbeat to me. The autotuning just gives it that weird disturbed sound, a weird tongue and cheek laugh at the sombre lyrics. I honestly picture a snicker smile on the singer's lips. The background then invaded the song by overproducing it. It sounds like a cacophony of let's throw everything in it and see if that covers up the autotuning.

My level of loathing of this remake spans more than my hatred of useless technology replacing simpler longer lasting technology of old, just for the sake of being newer, or less user fixable.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Interesting reactions!

For myself, I like it better than the original because it has a better build-up. The tone also fits the subject matter better in my opinion. The video clip also complements the song admirably. I also find no qualms with auto-tune when used sparingly, which is done here.

Note that I do like the original version, but I just like this one better.

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
I found it a bit too dark too ... think I prefer the original which is hauntingly beautiful, an absolute classic. Not that I don't like this version.

Seriously considering getting some chin rings though ...

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I like them both. I actually prefer music from the cover to the original guitars. That piano is great.
Disturbed's singer voice is amazing although I didn't like all that breathiness in the beginning. But the climax of the song was better done than in the original. Overall great cover, thanks for sharing Silv!

I thought I was the only in the world who hated this cover... thank you @jo zebedee
The original was hauntingly beautiful. with its minimalistic approach to the background music, it echoes the subject matter.

I was first shocked that disturbed was still making music; they received so much blowback during the autotuning protest period I thought they were ruined. But....

The song sounds too upbeat to me. The autotuning just gives it that weird disturbed sound, a weird tongue and cheek laugh at the sombre lyrics. I honestly picture a snicker smile on the singer's lips. The background then invaded the song by overproducing it. It sounds like a cacophony of let's throw everything in it and see if that covers up the autotuning.

My level of loathing of this remake spans more than my hatred of useless technology replacing simpler longer lasting technology of old, just for the sake of being newer, or less user fixable.
I do like Disturbed, nowadays not as much as I used to in the past, but just like you, I hated this cover. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.