Do you play? Family games or advanced gamer?

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I'm an advanced gamer. Love playing BGs and have been introducing kids to BGs at school.

Favourites at the moment are Lords of Waterdeep with Skullport Expansion, Pathfinder and Small World.

Anyone else?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
mostly advanced, but I can get into family games
advanced, I have a soft spt for AD&D 2nd and D&D 3.5 but D&D Next (im playtesting) is winning me over (ohh Pathfinder is cool as hell, but I haven't played one game yet, since no one I know plays it) I tried TANNhAUSER but my wife hates it so ill ebay it soon. and I play a lot of Warhammer fantasy lately

family... I LOOOOOVE risk.... never get to play it. the one we play most is Mancala... beyond that props to Scrabble (though im sick of winning) and stratego (wife hates it)

Jon Snow

Staff member
mostly advanced, but I can get into family games
advanced, I have a soft spt for AD&D 2nd and D&D 3.5 but D&D Next (im playtesting) is winning me over (ohh Pathfinder is cool as hell, but I haven't played one game yet, since no one I know plays it) I tried TANNhAUSER but my wife hates it so ill ebay it soon. and I play a lot of Warhammer fantasy lately

family... I LOOOOOVE risk.... never get to play it. the one we play most is Mancala... beyond that props to Scrabble (though im sick of winning) and stratego (wife hates it)
If you love risk you must like Small World and if you haven't give it a try.

I loved Dnd 3.5...found 4.0 very tedious and overpowered in general....not psionic overpowered but yeah. Hoping 5.0 is good.

Pathfinder is quite expensive and a great way to get a quick dnd type fix

edit: fyi Lords of Waterdeep has DnD theme as it is made by them

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I collected Warhammer models, mostly converting and painting.
Never played a day in me life though. Team playing or with somebody else has never been my thing.
I was only in it for the shiny models!!

Derk of Derkholm

My boys (10 & 9) really like the "Heroquest" package that I managed to buy off ebay (treasured 80's survivor tabletop game in good condition). I would like to move on to something more advanced, possibly "Das Schwarze Auge" (German D&D style game, as their English is not yet that good).

Any other suggestions for easy-to-get-into games of a simliar vein?

Other than that, we like to play Monopoly, Risk and "Settlers of Catan".

Best regards,
Andy

Aikura

Became a Faceless Man
I'm acquainted wth D&D 3.0 and 3.5 only through the Neverwinter Nights games. I cut my roleplay teeth on a NWN2 online persistent world for a few years, but I've never actually been around a table with, you know, actual dice and stuff. :D

Jon Snow

Staff member
My boys (10 & 9) really like the "Heroquest" package that I managed to buy off ebay (treasured 80's survivor tabletop game in good condition). I would like to move on to something more advanced, possibly "Das Schwarze Auge" (German D&D style game, as their English is not yet that good).

Best regards,
Andy
Hey Derk, there are many great family games you can play. King of Tokyo is a great and easy to learn game. Essentially, you roll dice which have different values, 20 star points to win or kill all the other monsters. Very fun. I've taught it to my school kids and all the boys lap it up.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70323/king-of-tokyo

If you like simple with minor strategy, then Ticket to Ride: Europe is very good. Collect cards to build tracks. You have route cards that give you extra points when you complete them.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14996/ticket-to-ride-europe

Dixit is a game that can be played in any language. Big stack of cards which only have unique pictures on them. Each player has 6 cards. Each round a different person is clue giver. They give a clue about their card then put it face down. Everyone looks at their cards and chooses one that could resemble the clue givers card. Shuffle then revel. Everyone tries to guess the clue givers card. Those that guess it and the clue giver will gain points. However, make it too easy and everyone guesses it then the clue giver loses points. Can lead to lots of laughs and WTF moments =)

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/92828/dixit-odyssey <-- link to the third expansion which is better and also standalone

I've added links to the names. Didn't know if you guys know but bestfantasybooks get a small % of the sale price when you guys click and buy stuff via our links.

Bierschneeman

Best regards,
Andy
good to hear about hero quest. brings back memories
you know, that was made as a board game version of Warhammer Fantasy tabletop games. just a thought, its a nice progression from HeroQuest

João Ribeiro

I only play some card games, a bit of Wii and Magic the Gathering. Long gone are the days of hardcore PC gaming.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I used to play DnD, mainly 3.5. It's been a while since I've had a group to even do that with, though.
You should find someone who plays Pathfinder. Good easy game with dnd feel.

Bierschneeman

I only play some card games, a bit of Wii and Magic the Gathering. Long gone are the days of hardcore PC gaming.
I KNOW!!!....
thought....I just started Diablo 3....AMAZING, brings a lot of things from the first two, its a very continuity focused series.
as well I am probably going to find diablo 1 and 2 again, as well as dungeon keeper series, and civilization 2 (this is the best or second best one by a wide margin) the last one done by sid meier

Derk of Derkholm

good to hear about hero quest. brings back memories
you know, that was made as a board game version of Warhammer Fantasy tabletop games. just a thought, its a nice progression from HeroQuest
Thank you for the suggestion, what's a good starting point for the Warhammer tabletop games?

Best regards,
Andy

Bierschneeman

Thank you for the suggestion, what's a good starting point for the Warhammer tabletop games?

Best regards,
Andy
there are several ways, go to the website, (http://www.games-workshop.com/) click warhammer, than there should a a warhammer armies list (though on the german versaion of the site, not sure how close they are structured) , you can click through and see the command units, the core units (which will make up the bulk of the army), and then special and rares (which are usually cool cool cool). you can moderately pick what you want to play from that, or if theres a hobby store nearby, I recommend watching a couple of peope play a few games, it helps give you an idea of what to expect.

the island of blood is a great starter, if you are going to probably play high elves or Skaven, "This boxed game contains: more than 70 finely-detailed Citadel miniatures, forming two plastic armies: High Elves (a High Elf Prince on Griffon, a High Elf Mage, 10 High Elf Lothern Sea Guard, 10 High Elf Sword Masters of Hoeth and five Ellyrian Reavers) and Skaven (a Skaven Warlord, a Skaven Warlock Engineer, 40 Skaven Clanrats, a Skaven Master Moulder, two Skaven Rat Ogres, a Skaven Warpfire Thrower, and a Skaven Poisoned Wind Mortar). All 74 models are exclusive to this box."

it also has a quick rules guide, the specialized dice, measuring rods, and explosion and magic templates (for determining who got hit)
but again, this starter set is greatly cost effective, if you plan on playing skaven, or high elves. if not, it becomes a bit pricey.

this is a very expensive hobby, and you have to put the figures together. so I definitely recommend checking out the website, and finding a hobby shop so you can spectate first.
(I currently have a somewhat large dwarf force 400 figures), a small Ogre force, and just started playing 'Orcs and Goblins', My wife has Wood Elves, and she also has just started collecting Bretennia.)

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
Buy Warhammer from other sites rather than their website, too expensive! For example: http://totalwargamer.co.uk/ still expensive but discounted compared to games-workshop

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
I like board games. One of my favorites is Horus Heresy. How to describe this game....

This is a 1v1 wargame (based in the Warhammer 40k universe), and it's kind of a beast. A lot of people don't like this game because of how "bloated" its rules are, and I can't really disagree with them. It's a love/hate kind of thing.

Here are the things I really like about this game:

• The two sides are asymmetrical. They don't even use all the same units. They have different objectives, different tactics, and vastly different starting positions. One side is the Imperials; they basically start with every unit on the board and all the fortified positions. The other side is the Heretics, who start with very little on the board. To win, the Heretics must overthrow the Imperials, whereas the Imperials really just have to sit there and hold their ground (thought there's more to it than this, obviously).
  • The depth of options. When I first started playing this game, I felt like I just didn't have all that many options each turn. But the more I played, the more the subtleties of the rules made sense and interesting moves began opening up to me. It's really quite deceptive.
  • No matter which side I'm playing, I always (somehow) feel like I'm losing--the entire game. And I think all of my games have come down to the wire.
  • The best way to describe the game, I think, is that it's a game of difficult choices. Every turn, there will be 3 or 4 actions that you feel like you must take, but you will only have the resources to do 2. So you have to choose.
Anyway, great board game, if you like a dense battle of wits.

Laura J Drake

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Definitely a role-player. I mostly use d&d 3.5 for the system and different world setting, such as Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Middle Earth or Harn. Pathfinder looks like a good system and world but since I haven't gamed in a while, I haven't picked it up.

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I play D&D 3.5 with my husband and his best friend. I usually end up DM even though I find it really tedious. I use online dungeon and monster generators to make things progress faster. We also don't have a complete set of 3.5 books. We have 3.0 books mixed with 3.5 so I have to check the internet for up to date rules. Kinda takes all the fun out of. But I was using First Law as a guide for the story on one campaign and they were totally loving it.

We have some Pathfinder figures to use in D&D. Also, there's a local comic shop that has everything for Pathfinder. I might see if I can talk them into getting that stuff since it comes highly recommended and sounds a lot easier.