Do you play? Family games or advanced gamer?

Laura J Drake

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I play D&D 3.5 with my husband and his best friend. I usually end up DM even though I find it really tedious. I use online dungeon and monster generators to make things progress faster. We also don't have a complete set of 3.5 books. We have 3.0 books mixed with 3.5 so I have to check the internet for up to date rules. Kinda takes all the fun out of. But I was using First Law as a guide for the story on one campaign and they were totally loving it.

We have some Pathfinder figures to use in D&D. Also, there's a local comic shop that has everything for Pathfinder. I might see if I can talk them into getting that stuff since it comes highly recommended and sounds a lot easier.
Pathfinder is D&D 3.5 with update and addition rules to make game play balanced. So you can mix and match both system to find the game balance you want for your style of play. They have their own world that you can play in. You can find most of the book you could want at nobleknight.com for finding gaming supplies online they are the best. Best of luck with your gaming in the future.

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Not really a boardgame, but I like playing Mahjongg.
(not to be confused with the "Patience" kind of game played on the computer that uses the same tiles, but where you simply need to remove them one pair at a time)

My wife and her family (in Taiwan) like to play the "easy" version (that can nevertheless be quite demanding as the speed of the game is normally quite high).
When I was still living in Germany, I was participating for some time in a group that met once a week to play according to Mahjongg Competition Rules, which add a more strategic component to the game and makes the element of luck less important.

I personally am now trying to graduate my kids (10&11) from monopoly at least to "Risk". Unfortunately the game sets you can buy now either look very modern, or have the old-style look, but are only for 4 players instead of 6 and have different missions than the ones I was used to when I played this during my study years, some 25 years ago)

Best regards,
Andy

wakarimasen

Always wanted to learn Mahjong, but nobody has the patience to learn with me. Still have kept my dad's really nice set anyway (he gave it to me as he couldn't be bothered to learn either)... one day.
Most of my boardgaming takes kid form at the moment (2x4 yr olds and a 3yr old) so snakes and ladders etc. I have managed to get them into an old 70's MB job called Ghost Castle which is quite good.
ghostcastle.png
Persuaded my missus to try Carcassonne recently and we liked that - a little easier than something like risk and with a built in time limit. I'd recommend.

Germany seems to crank out great boardgames. @Derk of Derkholm - I hear boardgames are still quite a big deal out there compared to other parts of Europe?

wakarimasen

@Hand of Fear It's still as good as it was. Even I get pleased when I get to drop the skull in the coffin and trigger one of the booby traps. Found it in a charity shop for £3. It was a good day.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Always wanted to learn Mahjong, but nobody has the patience to learn with me. Still have kept my dad's really nice set anyway (he gave it to me as he couldn't be bothered to learn either)... one day.
Most of my boardgaming takes kid form at the moment (2x4 yr olds and a 3yr old) so snakes and ladders etc. I have managed to get them into an old 70's MB job called Ghost Castle which is quite good.
View attachment 196
Persuaded my missus to try Carcassonne recently and we liked that - a little easier than something like risk and with a built in time limit. I'd recommend.

Germany seems to crank out great boardgames. @Derk of Derkholm - I hear boardgames are still quite a big deal out there compared to other parts of Europe?
Carcassonne can get more complicated if you add some expansions. Princess and the Dragon is a MUST have expansion in my opinion. Adding Inns and Cathedrals isn't bad either.

Derk of Derkholm

@wakarimasen, I can not really comment much whether board games are not popular in other Europan countries, but yes, they are popular in Germany.

There are some good game authors, e.g. Klaus Teuber, who has invented Settlers of Catan, which I also like quite a lot and which seems to be popular around the globe.

Regarding Carcassonne, I have only played the "basic" set so far, which is nice, but I guess with the extensions it gets more interesting (same like Catan)

Best regards,
Andy

Nikos4

Told lies with Locke
I buy and play only light games, because my gaming group begins snoring after 2 minutes of rule explanation, so I have to keep it quick. It kind of pisses me off sometimes, honestly, but it is what it is.

My favorites are Summoner Wars, The Resistance: Avalon, King of Tokyo and Love Letter.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I buy and play only light games, because my gaming group begins snoring after 2 minutes of rule explanation, so I have to keep it quick. It kind of pisses me off sometimes, honestly, but it is what it is.

My favorites are Summoner Wars, The Resistance: Avalon, King of Tokyo and Love Letter.
Try http://www.alderac.com/lost-legacy/ from the same makers of Love Letter and has a similar feel but still a bit different.

Also give Dixit a go, as that is an easy game for noob players but still fun for all.

Shorty

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I'd say advanced gamer.
I looove board games. I think they are my second biggest hobby after books. Recent game i got, is Munchkin Quest - which already cost me 1 or 2 friends but i guess it was worth it... (Also loved the munchkin card games.)
Other then this, we somtimes play fantasy themed games like Smallworld, Legends of Andor, The Dwarfes (after the Markus Heitz books), Hero Quest, Descent.
Seldomly we play diffrent genres like e.g. Galaxy Trucker or Junta.

In the near future I plan to participe in a p&p game (Savage worlds) for the first time.

Nikos4

Told lies with Locke
Try http://www.alderac.com/lost-legacy/ from the same makers of Love Letter and has a similar feel but still a bit different.

Also give Dixit a go, as that is an easy game for noob players but still fun for all.
I was thinking about Dixit, but it requires some creativity and I tend to avoid games like that, plus I'm worried people will be saying hints only one other person might know, for example, if me and another person have read Name of the Wind, I might say a reference from there and that won't be fun for anybody else.

I also checked out Lost Legacy, but generally I try to avoid getting samey games as to what I already have, unless something is absolutely amazing.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
Power Grid is a pretty fun and self-balancing game about generating power. Kind of a boring concept for a game, but the game really is great. And it's set up so that when people get ahead they tend to get minor handicaps, so it keeps it close.

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
Board Games have come a long way since I was a kid.

Some of my favorites:
Settlers of Catan,
Carcassonne
Small World
Caverna
RoboRally
Cosmic Encounter
Set (card game) one of my favorites
7 Wonders
Dixit (fun family game)
Arkham Horror
Forgotten Island (great game, fun, easy)
Railbaron
Feudal (older game)
Twixt (another older game)
Facts in Five (trivia)
Flux
Munchkin (and all it's clones)
Boulderdash (fun with words)
Apples to Apples (party game)
Quiddler (Card game, words)
Blokus
Outburst (party game)

Games I wish I knew how to play better
Chess
Go

Last edited:

wakarimasen

@Placida some interesting ones in there I might check out... I know what you mean about games you wish you could play better. I've always wanted to learn Mah Jong for instance...

Jon Snow

Staff member
If anyone wants some more advance games to play (you are past monopoly and have ventured into Settlers), then let me know. I am an avid gamer. @Placida has a few good suggestions on his list such as

Small World, 7 Wonders, Dixit, Carcossone (needs the princess and dragons expansion to make it really fun)

He also has some fun ones like Apples to Apples, Munchkin

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
I have a few games I got for Christmas that I have yet to play
Mice and Mystics (supposed to be very good RPG in a box game)
Nefarious (anyone ever play this)
One Night Ultimate Werewolf. (anyone ?)

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
I've played Werewolf before but not the "board game" version.
It's more of a card game although not really. The cards just tell you what part you play (werewolf, villager, seer, etc). The master of ceremonies has everyone close their eyes and then, for example, villagers get to open their eyes and look around. Others don't know who has their eyes open. It's a big game of Clue and the object is for someone to figure out who the werewolves are. There's a bigger version with werewolves and vampires called simply "Ultimate Werewolf" for up to 75 people which has to be played differently with that many people.

I used to play a party game called "Killer" with an ordinary playing deck. It would be played throughout the evening at a party. As guests arrive, everyone is given a card. Whomever has the Ace of Spades is the killer. The killer must shoot everyone at the party discretely with their finger gun. Once a person is shot they die (dramatically if they wish). Object is to figure out based on who was around when each person died, who was the killer. It was fun and free.

I always liked the old classics...chess, draughts (checkers), Stratego...and of course, Candyland :)