Do you play? Family games or advanced gamer?

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power

fbones24

Journeyed there and back again
This thread motivated me. My girlfriend and I just purchased Carcassone and we are looking forward to exploring this. I liked the idea that it seems to play well with 2 players. I have always wanted to get into more advanced tabletop gaming but have never had a group to play with. I'm sort of a loner and have no idea how to make "gamer friends."

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
This thread motivated me. My girlfriend and I just purchased Carcassone and we are looking forward to exploring this. I liked the idea that it seems to play well with 2 players. I have always wanted to get into more advanced tabletop gaming but have never had a group to play with. I'm sort of a loner and have no idea how to make "gamer friends."
You know what? I always thought you were a girl. And then you said 'my girlfriend'. So I was like 'okay, that's cool', but I decided to click on your profile nonetheless and it turns out you are a guy! The last time I was this confused was when @Sneaky Burrito told me Tracy Hickman is a dude.

fbones24

You know what? I always thought you were a girl. And then you said 'my girlfriend'. So I was like 'okay, that's cool', but I decided to click on your profile nonetheless and it turns out you are a guy! The last time I was this confused was when @Sneaky Burrito told me Tracy Hickman is a dude.
That's cool. There have been many times I have had this same confusion. I'm glad you actually came out with it so that everyone knows I AM A MAN! Ha!!!

With that said, any recommendations for tabletop games for young kids.? My son is 5 with a longer than average attention span for a child that age and think he would love gaming.

fbones24

Since this thread motivated me a few months back, I have gotten more into tabletop gaming. Still enjoying Carcassone. Also playing Ascension, Biblios and trying to get into a game called Race for the Galaxy which is pretty advanced. Have gotten into a few quick and dirty dice games too like Martian Dice.

Anyway, thanks again BFB forum for another obsession.....board games.

Tanniel

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I visited Carcassonne last month, actually (the medieval city that the boardgame takes its name from). I keep thinking of the city now whenever I see the boardgame mentioned.

I thought about recommendations for your son, @fbones24, but I don't know of any game I'd feel certain a 5-year-old would enjoy. I live with my 4-year-old niece, and we're progressed as far as UNO, the card game, if people know it.

fbones24

I visited Carcassonne last month, actually (the medieval city that the boardgame takes its name from). I keep thinking of the city now whenever I see the boardgame mentioned.

I thought about recommendations for your son, @fbones24, but I don't know of any game I'd feel certain a 5-year-old would enjoy. I live with my 4-year-old niece, and we're progressed as far as UNO, the card game, if people know it.
Well, we've been playing a game called "Hoot Owl Hoot" and it's actually kinda fun. Perfectly fine for a 4 or 5 year old where they can fully understand the rules and gameplay. I venture out into some more adult stuff and just make up rules and he seems to have fun with that too.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I went there in 2000. Not being a board gamer, that is all I ever think of when I see it mentioned.

Lyric Blade

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Not sure if this question has come up yet, but since this is a table top gaming thread...
Does anyone on here watch the show Table Top, hosted by Wesley Crusher- I mean Wil Wheaton? ;)

Anywho, I am more of an advanced gamer, by the terminology I see on this thread. Role playing games are my preference. I am a fairly avid Pathfinder gamer, at a few points playing in multiple groups both in person and on line over the last six years. I have dabbled in other systems as well such as 5th Ed. DnD, a short run of 1st Ed. and GURPS.

Other than that, back in Santa Barbara, I had the good fortune of having a friend who loved board games and had just about everything, so before we both moved to different places, we played a whole slew of games each week. Some of my favorites were Cosmic Encounters, Defenders of the Realm, and Last Night on Earth. We once played the Firefly board game which turned out to be one of my favorites. I also really enjoy deck building games like Marvel: Legendary, the dice-deck game Quarriors, and of course Dominion.

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
I turn to Wil Wheaton's Tabletop you-tube series whenever I'm thinking of buying or playing a new game. It's great.
Cosmic Encounters is also one of my favorites

Tanniel

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Seeing the thread move in that direction, who here plays tabletop RPG? I've played 4th and 5th edition, Call of Ctulhu, Game of Thrones, and my own ruleset, tailored for my own world/writing. For people who love stories, the freedom to create them in RPG's is some of the best fun you can have.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I play the tabletop Game of Thrones game and Game of Thrones Risk (the latter of which is one of the best board games out there in my opinion).